Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Looking for a place to take my 14 yr old son

Patarnold

I've been thinking about taking my son on a hunt and was thinking that an antelope hunt might be a good one to go on. We would be bowhunting and would prefer a DIY public land type hunt. I've been doing a LITTLE research and Wyoming keeps coming up. I was hoping that I might be able to draw a little on some of the experience that the guys here have for where we might look to go. Trophy animals are NOT a priority but I would prefer that he be able to shoot a buck. Though we wouldn't be opposed to shooting a doe or two either. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Btw. I'm thinking about going NEXT year. TIA

First, where the hell ya from? Secondly, apply for any one of the antelope units with good public access and go get the kid an antelope and have a friggn' ball! The opportunities are not what they used to be, but are still good. He does not need a buck at this point, so get him a sure thing and make a fun time out of it. Decide what you need to do, get him a permit, go have a good time and if you need any help. I will accompany you, or anyone else wanting to help a kid!!

Wyoming has gotten harder to draw the last few years. Doe tags have also been tougher to get if you slack off and don't buy them the minute the leftovers go on sale. But Wyoming is probably still the best bet for what you have in mind. Montana is not far behind if your just looking to shoot a few bucks. But MT has also gotten tougher to draw if your trying to draw rifle tags, and MT doe tags cost as much as the buck tags so its not worth putting in for does as a NR. If you choose Wyoming, you can find bucks that would fit in your criteria in every unit out there. Just refine the search by looking at units that are easy to draw, and that have decent amounts of public land or public access to private land enrolled in Access Yes. After your research if you still have a lot of units to pick from, just pull a number from a hat. Antelope hunting is fun because you don't have to over think it... unless your looking for a big one!

Last year my 12 year old son got a whitetail, two elk, and an antelope. The antelope was the funnest and most memorable.

First, where the hell ya from? !

We live in UPSTATE NY. So anyplace we go to get antipope is gonna be a haul but I'm sure it would be worth it. Thanks a lot for the info guys. I've been to MT for elk and SD for turkey's and both trips were amazing so I would love to take my boy on an adventure like that. He's been hunting with a bow for 3 years now and can't get enough !!!image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back