Looking for a new spot

"One pair of guys ended up with 36 antlers in one day," Fegely said. "The wardens are run ragged by people sneaking on there."

Why run ragged? Use your gun and wing the idiots.

I talked to a warden up by Gardiner and they are putting chips in the horns to locate them later. He said they found a guy that had a 16' flatbed trailer full of horns that had been illegally picked.

I talked to a warden up by Gardiner and they are putting chips in the horns to locate them later. He said they found a guy that had a 16' flatbed trailer full of horns that had been illegally picked.

Thats good to hear. I went up for the opener at Dailey last year and you could see where someone had walked a grid across the snow awhile back. It sucks when a few people ruin it for everyone else.

I am just glad they busted them.

Makes the 4 or 5 sheds we found pretty pathetic doesn't it. I was excited about them anyway. Some tough ass bulls surviving alone in some tough conditions.

Seems like a lot of work for not much of a return. Wouldn't they still have to catch them in the act or find the guys selling them to swipe the antlers to get the tag number?

I guess by law they wouldn't need to find out much more info. If the authorities bugged an antler from the park and you were in possession of it then you would be guilty. I'm sure they would use the same tactics they do when you get busted for drugs. They offer you a plea deal if you'll rat on the person you got them from and so on. They aren't interested in the casual user they want to find the source and attack it there.
Once word gets out that horns are being bugged then it seems that it would begin to deter.

I guess by law they wouldn't need to find out much more info. If the authorities bugged an antler from the park and you were in possession of it then you would be guilty. I'm sure they would use the same tactics they do when you get busted for drugs. They offer you a plea deal if you'll rat on the person you got them from and so on. They aren't interested in the casual user they want to find the source and attack it there.
Once word gets out that horns are being bugged then it seems that it would begin to deter.

I was wondering what all the beeping was coming from the pile of elk horns on my garage floor................Bart, i have a couple antlers for you, hurry come get them;)

I talked to a biologist regarding the guys caught on the Blackfoot. This has been going on for years but up until last year the penalties were light. Now the laws have changed and there are stiffer penalties. I sure hope it detours them in the future. I was also told that IF the poached antlers are not needed for evidence the FWP will re-distribute them. I have often wondered what it would be like to hit an opener with all the sheds on the ground.......oh to dream.....

Hey Elknut do you think they have done a better job keeping people from poaching antlers off the sun river this year? Also thats good to hear about the stiffer penalties, what are they? i hope its enough to deter people, but even making it a felony probably wouldnt stop some of the crazies from getting their antler crack.

Hey RD, I have not heard anything specific about the Sun River GR but living in the area I have spent a bit of time looking for sheds on the FS surrounding the GR and every year I see suspicious looking things like a truck driving down the road with a single driver and 5 or 6 guys in the back at 6 in the morning...??? As for the penalties for the guys on the Blackfoot, the FWP told me that the minimum will be loss of hunting for 2 years but he was not specific about fines. I know these guys are hard core or really stupid so I'm sure it won't stop them.

I thought you were talking about FWP folks Lawnboy. Makes more sense if it's the Park. You can't lie your way out stealing from the Park.

Ended up being a really good year. Almost everyone I bumped in to had a pack full of horns. The poachers hit the easy spot that I think gets picked early almost every year, but the rest of the mountain was good. Tons of mule deer compared to normal.

Evidently one of the poachers was up there today. Can`t believe he`d have the nerve.
They busted another guy this morning that was in there all night picking them up.

Randy- did you stay away from the grizzlies in the area...heard one got shot and had a couple of cubs.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back