PEAX Equipment

Looking for a new rifle

Amand

I am hopefully planning a trip out west next fall for some elk/antelope hunting and was looking for some rifle recommendations. I am pretty new to rifle hunting as all of the gun hunting I have done has been whitetail hunting in shotgun only areas so this will be the first rifle I will own.

The main reason I will be getting the gun will be for my trip out west but it would be nice to having something I could take out to the range and play around with at longer distances for fun as well. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality but at the same time I don't necessarily go overboard for top of the line when I'm not sure how often I will get a chance to make a trip out west to use it.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

One other thing to note. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I know this makes a difference with bow hunting and I shoot my bow left handed but have always shot a right handed shotgun. Does this make a difference for a rifle at all?

There are lots of good rifles out there that are simple to buy, simple to find, and are amazingly good. Everybody will have a favorite, but you really can't go wrong with the Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, and Ruger 77's. They are all proven designs, with long histories, every sporting goods store will carry them, they hold their re-sale value well. They also make them in all sorts of variations, so you can pick the style/type you want. From pretty pieces of wood with blued steel barrels to composite/plastic/glass stocks and stainless steel barrels. (There are plenty of other good guns; such as the Savage 110 series and some import brands.)

Caliber is another interesting topic, and you will get all sorts of answers, but, the bottom line is that you can kill antelope with all calibers, while your elk requirement should likely keep you at the .284 and larger. (Lots of elk have been killed with .270 Winchesters and .25-06 Remingtons, but bigger is better with elk, and each person has to draw the line they feel is the minimum.) Good, easy to find, elk calibers would include the calibers off the -06 case which include the tried true .30-06. I don't like the calibers on the .308 case which include the 7mm-08, .308 Win, and similar for elk.

If you like magnums, and want to own one, the magnums off the .300win case including the common 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag are all proven calibers that people will frequently shoot both antelope and elk with the same gun. All the Weatherby magnums are expensive and mostly for Suburban driving Texans.

Most importantly on a rifle for out west is the scope. A good rule of thumb is to spend the same money on the scope as you do on the rifle. Good optics are not over rated. Get yourself a good variable scope in the 3x9, 3.5x10 ranges. Leupold makes some great scopes, Swarvoski makes great scopes, etc.... Stay away from cheap scopes.

As for your eyball issue, that is kind of a thing you need to try and figure out. I know left-handed people who shoot rifles right-handed, or, shoot right-handed rifles left-handed. I knew one guy who kind of became blind in his right eye, so he got some elevated scope mounts and shot his guns right-handed with his left-eye.

I don't think I am coordinated enough to shoot left-handed, so I would shoot the way I am coordinated, and then figure out how to use the dominant eye.

Good luck, and have fun shopping for a tool that you will own the rest of your life.

Do you shoot the shotgun as a lefty? I had to overcome the eye dominance thing and it takes time. Years ago I smashed my right hand. when it's cold my right trigger finger is useless, so I learned to shoot southpaw.

Its doable and actually I shoot handgun better lefty than my normal right hand. Some folks wear an eye patch if there shooting opposite of there eye dominance. you can try that or buy a lefty rifle and dont worry about it. everybody is different on how they overcome obstacles.

As for prices and what you would be using it for, I would just hit one of the auction sites. you can find some good deals. I dont know what your budget is but looking around will find you some good deals.

As a lefty, I shoot pistols best left. I am right eye dominant and shoot bow and rifle right handed. The eye dominance would be something to try and be sure it is practical as you are opposite my setting.
I would find it hard to shoot a rifle left handed as my right eye tends to fade out left eye action. I am sure I could though not really my desire as I am dialed in right side. I think I would have to have a patch to keep my right eye from taking control while viewing through a scope... as I have a hard time closing my right eye. Left, no problem.

There a range you could try a few shots?

As for guns - JC covered that pretty darn well - My preference is .06. I have a good scope and that is a great bonus didn't pay too much though around $120 or so... My main rifle is a Savage 111 for both elk and deer. I use 180gr nosler partition Federals for elk. The one aspect I do not like about it - the synthetic stock... makes a different noise when brushing up against a bush / other... I had a minor issue with the magazine though lipped out a metal edge a bit and it corrected the issue. Not sure if I was an exception or not though the scenario: When I fired a round, it would drop my magazine a fraction of an inch (1/16th or so) and next round being jacked in would jam... All good now. and the price was really a treat at $250 or so. Tough to beat for the price. Grouping is super tight - I thank Savage more than myself for that.

Best of success in your selection.

JC has given you about as good of advice as you can find. You don't need a $5,000 custom rifle to come west and you don't need any exotic caliber. Get something reliable and comfortable and you will kill everything that runs around out here.

Yes, your eye domination has a big impact on your rifle shooting, as well as your bow shooting. Think long and hard about shooting left handed, if that is your dominant eye.

I'd grab a Tikka T3 in 30-06 and call it good. Stainless steel with a synthetic stock. You'll do just fine with an '06 for western hunting and you'll thank yourself at the end of a long day that you didn't buy a heavier (magnum) gun.

Get a good solid rifle and spend the money on the scope and optics. Alot of western hunting is glassing and good binos or a spotting scope are a must. I bought a 30.06 when I moved to Colorado, since I grew up in a shot gun only state. I hand load 150 grain Hornady SSTs and have taken everything from elk to antelope with them with no problem. A TC Venture, Remington 770, and Savage and Marlin are all putting out rifles for less than $500.

And don't forget a good range finder. !00 yards on the prairie going after antelope looks a whole lot different that 100 yards back home in the woods.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will try to find somewhere that I could try shooting a left hand one and see how that goes. I was able to get used to shooting my bow left handed fairly easy and figure if I start doing it that way from the beginning it will hopefully be easier to get used to.

As far as the scope goes I definately plan on putting on quality glass. Another one of my hobbies is photography and I definately realize what a difference good quality glass can make. Same thing will go with a spotter when I pick one up. I have a pretty decent pair of binos and range finder already but wouldn't rule out an upgrade with the binos at some point.

I'd say JC gave you 96% great advice. I'd only differ with him on the .308 issue. I carried a carbine for many, many years and wouldn't even blink twice about tapping the trigger on an elk ! (I retired it for my son) I carry a synthetic stocked Ruger 77 now, topped of with the Leupold scope OYOA gave me, and she works just fine, thank you. ;)

I would maximize my funds outlay on the rifle itself as that is the 'permanent' part of the setup. You can always upgrade scopes, etc. but may want to be sure to get a good rifle you will want to keep (forever).

If you want to shoot long distances, buy a riflke caliber known to send lead out the muzzle at screamin speeds. (magnums?)

I was amazed at the pricing a local pawn shop has for rifles and scopes, just a little over "cost" and huge dollars less than cabelas and the local sporting goods stores. My recent $340 scope purchase was $80 less than at cabela's for example...The guy orders whateverd you want from any manufacturer and marks it up very little.

Shop hard and make you dollars work hard for you.

I guess opinions, like advice, are like armpits. Everyone has one and everyone else thinks it stinks.. Experience says it's easier to learn to shoot a rifle using your right eye since you shoot it with one eye closed anyway. Buy a right handed rifle and practice. After a while, it will become reaction to close your left eye. The rifle I would recommend is the Tikka. For my money, it is buy far the best value for your money. The quality of the workmanship and the barrels is far better than any of the big three. You can find it in any caliber you want and from what you describe, I would suggest either the 270 short mag or the 300 short mag. Either one will fill the bill for Elk and still shoot flat enough for Antelope. Unlike the other advice you got, I would recommend buying absolutely the best quality scope you can afford. You can only hit what you can see and you hit best that which you see best. With optics, you get pretty much what you pay for. Then again, that's just the way that my armpit smells and others may not like it.

Unlike the other advice you got, I would recommend buying absolutely the best quality scope you can afford. You can only hit what you can see and you hit best that which you see best.

That is an interesting way of justifying a good scope. I too believe in good optics, but I would say that durability is the reason I spend money, not optical clarity. In Western hunting, I have found that my gun take many more hard whacks than low-light shots and counting on my rifle holding zero is very important.

To Khunter's point, I use an online tool http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx to research gun prices. It's not all inclusive but shows guns available from 1 or more dealers in your area and the out the door price. I bought a rifle using this method and picked it up at the local Pawn shop.

Another place with good deal is http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ download thier catalog to find the guns. You just need to find an FFL to recieve it.

Along the lines of the scope I would recommend getting good bases and rings to go with it.

Great article!
Spot on with my own experience - Including pool.

Really enjoyable read, Der Aulte Jaeger. Thanks

I checked the sights on my Tikka T-3 Lite last night, and it was still right on. Three shots into a group just a touch bigger than a dime at 100 yards. That is from a .300 Win Mag. The Tika is a very light rifle, so I put a Limbsaver pad on it. It comes with an excellent trigger - no work required on either of mine. I would also recommend the Tikka in a .30-06-class chambering, one of the WSMs or .300 Mag.

Tika t3 lite is an awesome rifle with great out of box accuracy. great value I have 2 of them and probably will buy one more.If one rifle is all you will need you can't go wrong with the old time proven and tested 30-06. Good luck on your adventure

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back