Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag

Southern Elk

I’m looking for a sleeping bag to take on backpack hunts. I hate mummy bags, so I’m hoping there are some lightweight bags that are a little more roomy. Any recommendations?

I too hate mummy bags. I’m a stomach sleeper and move around a lot, and the leg-movement restrictions in mummy bags make it tough to fall asleep sometimes. This will be the next bag I buy:

Tell me more. I like that idea because I toss and turn a lot.
I’m the same way and I’m a side sleeper. I can’t use a mummy bags. I will never use anything but quilts. I’ve used my 0 degree down to -15 and with pad strap I did just fine. They aren’t for everyone and they require a good pad with a high R value because you sleep right on your pad. I use Viam outdoors quilts and would recommend them.

Last edited:
Check out Paria Outdoor Products. Quilts and bags. I have a thermodown 15 quilt that weighs a little over 2 pounds. I've yet to really test it in the cold, only cool temps so far. I got it based upon a friends experience/recommendation.

Some recommend a liner such as the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner for colder temps. Said to add as much as 14 degrees of warmth and only weighs 8 ounces.

Last edited:
I’m the same way and I’m a side sleeper. I can’t mummy bags. I will never use anything but quilts. I’ve used my 0 degree down to -15 and with pad strap I did just fine. They aren’t for everyone and they require a good pad with a high R value because you sleep right on your pad. I use Viam outdoors quilts and would recommend them.
Might have to look into this for my wife. She had her leg amputated and it was difficult last year for her to get in and out of her bag.

I have been looking around also. I am a side sleeper as well and struggle with mummy bags. I have seriously been eyeing the Big Agnes Sidewinder. Does anyone happen to have any experience with it by chance? The first bag I've seen designed with side sleepers in mind.

I bought a Neemo Disco (long) 15 degree. It's my first ever backpacking/cold weather bag. The advertisements say the "spoon" shape is designed for side sleepers. I'm 6' 200lb and hate how constricting sleeping bags are. But I found this one to be non-restricting and let me move around quite a bit. The temp rating held true to what was listed on my first time out this spring on an April turkey hunt in Nebraska when we got that crazy snowstorm the weekend after Easter.

I don't have any comparison, but I'd buy another one if my wife or kids needed one.

I have been looking around also. I am a side sleeper as well and struggle with mummy bags. I have seriously been eyeing the Big Agnes Sidewinder. Does anyone happen to have any experience with it by chance? The first bag I've seen designed with side sleepers in mind.
I have one. I really like it. Not super impressed with the zippers catching if you are trying to get out quickly, but not many are. but no more waking up with zipper arm or side pinch.

Enlightened gear makes some nice stuff.

They're not for a late season adventure.

I'm going Montbel on my next bag they also make some Quilts as well.
Even the 0* Enlightened quilts? Seems like with all the options to seal them up that they’d be pretty good in the cold.

Even the 0* Enlightened quilts? Seems like with all the options to seal them up that they’d be pretty good in the cold.
They might be alright, you'd need a damn good pad to make that work. I have 3 pads with a r value of 5 or better and it gets pretty brisk at 0 or below. That's with a 20 degree quilt and puffy pants and long johns on

Enough for me to realize that i need a real bag. That's my opinion though I'm not as tough as you coastal guys.

I have used an enlightened equipment quilt for years, its a 10 degree but at 25 its damn cold even with your puffy gear on. Id say the 10 degree is comfortable to about 40 degrees. Its a nice quilt but i think their ratings are based on that you wont die at that temp cause it sure isnt that youll be comfy.

I sleep with a mummy bag unzipped and draped over me on a good pad. If it's cold I zip it up. Plenty warm down to mid 30s.

Lightweight and not mummy are hard to do. Quilts tent to lack a good hood. Backpacking isn't the same as sleeping in your own bed. Just take a few shots before bed time and you won't know if you're in a mummy bag or not.

Western mountaineering makes semi rectangular backpacking bags, spendy and a little heavier than a mummy but give some extra room. I’ve used a quilt like bag (big Agnes with sleeve for pad on bottom) and it always felt drafty. Haven’t used a true quilt to review but my brother has one and seems to always complain about being cold.

I sleep with a mummy bag unzipped and draped over me on a good pad. If it's cold I zip it up. Plenty warm down to mid 30s.

Lightweight and not mummy are hard to do. Quilts tent to lack a good hood. Backpacking isn't the same as sleeping in your own bed. Just take a few shots before bed time and you won't know if you're in a mummy bag or not.
I’ve started doing this with my 0 degree in warmer temps. But it’s full zip, beanie hat, long Johns and a hot water bottle in the feet once it gets below 20. Had the bag since 2006. I should probably wash it…

What temp rating are you looking for? I think Nemo makes a roomier cut bag and some that are designed with side sleepers in mind. The Stone Glacier bags are also supposed to be a bit roomier. I'd really like the 0 degree.

x2

mummy bag and unisom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back