Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag

I’m looking for a sleeping bag to take on backpack hunts. I hate mummy bags, so I’m hoping there are some lightweight bags that are a little more roomy. Any recommendations?

Ok... Not ideal however, I've used this many times (ultralight long-johns top and bottom rolled within) while chasing elk and not wanting to return to camp. I carry this as I do my modified IFAK. It goes with me even when I plan to make a simple 3 hour tour. It goes everywhere and bailed me out more times than I can count (Which may not be too high).

Anyhow, for what it's worth.

Ok... Not ideal however, I've used this many times (ultralight long-johns top and bottom rolled within) while chasing elk and not wanting to return to camp. I carry this as I do my modified IFAK. It goes with me even when I plan to make a simple 3 hour tour. It goes everywhere and bailed me out more times than I can count (Which may not be too high).

Anyhow, for what it's worth.

Dang, that dude could use his beard for a blanket.

I’m in the market for a new bag and I’ve been looking into the hyke and byke ketadyn 0 and big Agnes anvil horn 0 and haven’t decided thus far. I’ve heard Kifaru and stone glacier bags are nice but they are pricey.

I’m in the market for a new bag and I’ve been looking into the hyke and byke ketadyn 0 and big Agnes anvil horn 0 and haven’t decided thus far. I’ve heard Kifaru and stone glacier bags are nice but they are pricey.
A lot of my buddies in the mountaineering game would give you an earful about western mountaineering and feathered friends. I'd take a look at those options as well.

There is also a big debate raging around gear nerds about whether treat down is actually a net negative rather then positive and essentially a marketing gimmick.

I think Kifaru makes good stuff, and I have no experience with their bags... but their Lost Parka is heavy as hell and super bulky. If I was a moose guide in AK or hunting with horses in the west I'd live in that thing... but for backpacking it's pretty ridiculous. Pointing being I'm not sure I'd want a synthetic sleeping bag of theirs... would want to see and handle it in person. 0 degree for a synthetic bag( back packing) as getting it wet isn't really an issue at that point. Seems like a 20 degree rating is about the line for really needing a synthetic.

I’ve slept with my mummy bag open like mentioned above. That’s an option if I don’t end up getting anything. One thing I need is a better pad. What are you guys using for a pad if you use a quilt or open bag?
10-Deg Western Mountaineering Versalite + silk liner with the mummy as a quilt. Liner is roomy so doesn't restrict movement and still adds 5-7 deg of warmth. I leave the foot box partially zipped and tuck my feet in to keep everything together. I use a Thermarest Z-Lite pad on the ground with a Klymit Static V2 on top of that for my sleeping pads. Have stayed quite warm through late November in Colorado at high elevations (above 10000 ft) so single digit nights are the norm. The Z-Lite doubles as a glassing pad during the day. YMMV.

10-Deg Western Mountaineering Versalite + silk liner with the mummy as a quilt. Liner is roomy so doesn't restrict movement and still adds 5-7 deg of warmth. I leave the foot box partially zipped and tuck my feet in to keep everything together. I use a Thermarest Z-Lite pad on the ground with a Klymit Static V2 on top of that for my sleeping pads. Have stayed quite warm through late November in Colorado at high elevations (above 10000 ft) so single digit nights are the norm. The Z-Lite doubles as a glassing pad during the day. YMMV.
The western mountaineering bags are hard to beat. I run mine with a xtherm pad and it’s worked good.

The western mountaineering bags are hard to beat. I run mine with a xtherm pad and it’s worked good.
True. I have two (Sycamore & Sequoia MF). Incredible bags with plenty of roomy semi-rectangular models.

Excellent zippers. And the incredible ability to easily move the down from the top of the bag to the underside to control temperature rating. The baffles are continuous, so you just slide your hand over the fabric to move the down.

Attachments

• 20200626_185841.jpg
    20200626_185841.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back