Caribou Gear Tarp

Looking for a good deer/elk knife

matechakeric

I've heard some good things about Moraknives. Seem pretty inexpensive. but they seem to have a thicker blade. Are they a good option for field dressing and quartering game?

Open to any suggestion under $80 hahaha

I've heard some good things about Moraknives. Seem pretty inexpensive. but they seem to have a thicker blade. Are they a good option for field dressing and quartering game?

Open to any suggestion under $80 hahaha
I have had a Mora for years and use it for rough work. It sharpens easy and gets a razor sharp edge quickly. High Carbon steel blade and rusts if you breathe on it. I have a Gerber Vital for the rest. I also always keep a composite handled lock back Schrade that I put a piece of Para cord around and wear it around my neck. It is always there and I have field dressed more deer than I can count with it and worked on a few walk with it. Knives are tools like guns and everyone has their preference and go to knives. I have become a big fan of replaceable scalpel blade kinives....razor sharp makes life easier!

Outdoor edge swing blade and saw has worked well enough for me. Not super fun to clean but not terrible and pretty easy to sharpen.

Like Mora's a lot, but not as a primary field dressing knife. If weight isn't an issue, a Buck 110. Or a Vital/Outdoor Edge paired with a more substantial folder.

I have a benchmade steep country I like, but I almost like my Mora more. I’ve never been able to get a fixed blade as sharp as that thing gets.

I’ve had a handful of knives. Moras are nice. Cheap enough that if I lose it I’m not worried. Sharpens easy. I bought the the gerber randy dts last year and I liked it but I broke the serrated prying the head off a deer last year. My wife bought me the gerber ebs for my birthday. Holy smokes that thing cuts like butter. Cut a bear and a deer already and it’s still dangerously sharp. Serrated blade cut through hide like nothing I’ve used before. 10/10 would reccomend.

I’ve gone through phases of being pro and anti Havalon, but my bull this year was a muddy mess and dulled my knives fast. I’ll probably always keep a replaceable blade knife in the pack in the future.

Benchmade Grizzly folder for me, but I’ve come to be jealous of kansasson’s Gerber Exchange Blade system. The three blade system is robust unlike the scalpel blade systems options (which I also have in my processing kit). I keep the Grizzly in my pants pocket and this fits a bit better than the EBS for size, but is also a bit heavier.

I’ve gone through phases of being pro and anti Havalon, but my bull this year was a muddy mess and dulled my knives fast. I’ll probably always keep a replaceable blade knife in the pack in the future.
Same thoughts for me. Sometimes I love the havalon other times I hate it. Since it’s light thought I’ll always carry it.

I tend to rotate my others between a benchmade steep country, a customized New West Outfitter my friends had made, a light set of CRKT’s and an old German knife my grandpa carried

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back