Looking at buying some land....

Some perspective Nathan.
That place next door has as good a view as the ranch across the valley does,IMHO.
But it is not the Mangas ranch and does not cost $21mil. It is 25,000 deeded acres tho.

Some folks here think we're in MT or sumpin.
That CO place does sound nice.

I am owner/part-owner in a few recreation properties, both in and out of state. They are far more expensive and more work than they should be, but I wouldn't sell any of them unless I had to. If it makes sense for your goals and you can swing it, I say go for it.

Well I'm still looking...

Keep coming back to this piece. They reduced the price by $15,000 this month. Got some pictures of some bulls using it this winter. Having seen anything better and I look pretty much on a weekly basis. Maybe I just need to settle on this and maybe could leverage it down the road for something else.
Don't wait. Buy all your toys, get them paid for and retire. My biggest regrets are the properties I DIDN'T buy.

I would say that if you can, do it.
With medium price of a home being $500k these days and not likely to drop much, if you are stable as you are & looking at future idea property, now would be the time.
It may not be there next month...or , like the guy down the road he is still there 13 years later, because he is still asking way too much.

Kind of funny, I just got off the phone with the realtor on this property. I have wild swings where I go from being 100% ready to put in an offer to thinking that I am certifiably crazy for thinking about spending so much money on a piece of land when there is public land all over the west that I could hunt and recreate on for free.

I go back and forth on this particular piece as well. It has a great variety of wildlife and great view of the Spanish Peaks. The only real draw back to it is no electricity and no water so using it down the road as a permanent home probably isn't in the cards. My gut feel says this is a place that we have for 7 or 8 years until we get ready to retire and then we sell it and buy a different place.

Who knows? Evidently not me. Lol.

Sometimes you just dive in Nathan, and hit a rock...lol Sometimes a nice deep pool.

The water issue would stop me.
Water, in NM was important to me. My 2 wells make my place worth something here. I could not afford to drill them now...

Kind of funny, I just got off the phone with the realtor on this property. I have wild swings where I go from being 100% ready to put in an offer to thinking that I am certifiably crazy for thinking about spending so much money on a piece of land when there is public land all over the west that I could hunt and recreate on for free.

I go back and forth on this particular piece as well. It has a great variety of wildlife and great view of the Spanish Peaks. The only real draw back to it is no electricity and no water so using it down the road as a permanent home probably isn't in the cards. My gut feel says this is a place that we have for 7 or 8 years until we get ready to retire and then we sell it and buy a different place.

IMO the only thing that would stop me from doing what you are thinking is time. I mean you say 6 hours away is close for you. Is it really though...I mean 12 hours of driving is not a weekend trip for me. So from my perspective going 1 or 2 times a year would rule that part out for me.

****Edit ...maybe rule it out for me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: it would still be awesome

'Purchased this property many years ago as an investment for college money for our kids, but fortunately never had to sell it. So the property and cabin now is a popular getaway for kids and grandkids ... my wife and me too! No water, no phone coverage, no electricity ... is actually a blessing for our usage and enjoyment. We simply haul water and use a solar panel to light led lights. FWIW to your decision ... it was the best investment of my lifetime. It is only an hour away from our primary home, but even that close, we don't get there enough to satisfy me.
Ridge Rock Cabin in Summer.jpg

Not a suggestion as those ARE reasonable concerns. BUT WITH THE RIGHT KNOWLEDGE they are not impossible to over come. Granted, yer not looking in Indiana where I live BUT, just a couple miles from me, where you don't even need a well, we have rural water utility, we have REMC electric every where, a friend of mine lives completely off grid. NO UTILITY BILLS. He lives surrounded by forest yet gets ALL his electric from solar and a Honda generator. Water utility runs right down the road in front of his house, yet he and his TWO girl friends all live off captured rain water stored in a cistern.

Look all that kind of stuff over real good, with people who are SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHING what you want to accomplish and especially where you want to do it. You will see what it takes. THEN decide if you want to or can do it. You don't have to re-invent the wheel. It has all been done before. Find out HOW they did it.

Well, I made an offer on this property this morning. It is about 10% below asking price and I don't think I'm going to move much from that number.

Not having water or electricity won't make much of a difference to me near term, and I'm not sure I plan on holding this property more than 10 years or so. It is priced accordingly and if it did have water and electricity I most likely wouldn't be able to afford it.

Will be interesting if I get it how it will be to hunt it. Not a lot of hiking in several miles when you only have 580 acres.

Well, I made an offer on this property this morning. It is about 10% below asking price and I don't think I'm going to move much from that number.

Not having water or electricity won't make much of a difference to me near term, and I'm not sure I plan on holding this property more than 10 years or so. It is priced accordingly and if it did have water and electricity I most likely wouldn't be able to afford it.

Will be interesting if I get it how it will be to hunt it. Not a lot of hiking in several miles when you only have 580 acres.
Interesting to see if they take your offer.

Keep us posted. Maybe we can all enjoy a HT "hunt-warming" party!:) Whiskey Ridge HT Hunt Club.

Npaden,
Did you factor in all of your new friends should you get this property? Playing host to the HT crowd could be quite expensive. I like ham with my eggs and hashbrowns!

Best of luck to you in both acquiring the property and the running of the ranch!

Back