Look at this wide antelope!

Calif. Hunter

ba42a.jpg

Big prongs, too! Wayne Billings from New Mexico, the Silver City area.

I think the spread can't exceed the longest horn, so he loses on some inches due to that--impressive 'lope though--chris

Yep...that's a no brainer on squeezing the trigger there.......huge, huge, HUGE !!!

mtmiller--you sure--I thought there was, I could be wrong--never really looked at how they're measured--gonna go check it out--chris

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/bc_scoring_pronghorn.asp?area=bgRecords&type=Pronghorn

SCORING YOUR TROPHY
Pronghorn

ON-LINE SCORING STEP ONE - Entering Your Measurements
FIGURE A

FIGURE B

All measurements must be made with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. Enter fractional figures in eighths, without reduction. For example, if a point measures 7 and 2/8 inches, you would enter 7 2/8 in the space provided.

A. TIP TO TIP SPREAD
The tip to tip spread is measured between the tips of the horns. See Figure A.
Tip to Tip Spread:

B. INSIDE SPREAD OF MAIN BEAMS
The inside spread of the main beams is measured at a right angle to the center line of the skull at the widest point between the main beams.
Inside Spread:
C. LENGTH OF HORN
The length of horn is measured on the outside curve on the general line illustrated in Figure A. The line taken will vary with different heads, depending on the direction of their curvature. Measure along the center of the outer curve from the tip of the horn to a point in line with the lowest edge of the base, using a straight edge to establish the line end.
Length of Right Horn: Length of Left Horn:
D-1. CIRCUMFERENCE OF BASE
The circumference of the base is measured at a right angle to the axis of the horn. DO NOT follow the irregular edge of the horn; the line of measurement must be entirely on horn material.
Base of Right Horn: Base of Left Horn:
D-2-4. HORN CIRCUMFERENCES
Divide Measurement C of the longer horn by four. Starting at the base, mark both horns at these quarters (even though the other horn is shorter) and measure the circumferences at these marks. If the prong interferes with D-2, move the measurement down to just below the swelling of the prong. If D-3 falls in the swelling of the prong, move the measurement up to just above the prong.
RIGHT HORN LEFT HORN
D-2. First Quarter Circumference D-2. First Quarter Circumference
D-3. Second Quarter Circumference D-3. Second Quarter Circumference
D-4. Third Quarter Circumference D-4. Third Quarter Circumference
E. LENGTH OF PRONG
Measure from the tip of the prong along the upper edge of the outer side to the horn; then continue around the horn to a point at the rear of the horn where straight edge across the back of both horns touches the horn, with the latter part being at a right angle to the long axis of the horn.
Length of Right Prong: Length of Left Prong:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations! You have completed the measuring process! Click on the button below to get your final score.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtmiller--you're right it's not used--it's on the score sheet, but just like anything else it's used to help identify the animal--good call--I always thought it was included--chris

It used to be included.....I can't remember exactly what year the change went into effect, but it was some time ago..... ;)

Or maybe it was included in P&Y scoring....I can't remember....but one of them USED TO include it in their scoring total..... :confused:

Wayne is a helluva hunter and one of the nicest, most soft-spoken guys you will ever meet. His family owns a good-sized spread in SW New Mexico. I think there are 4 generations (they marry young!) working the ranch!

I just spoke with Jorge, and he and Moe are hunting with Wayne for antelope now. They have seen one that they say is bigger than this one. I don't know if I believe them or not, but we'll see!

Jorge says he got a pretty nice 4x4 buck with his muzzleloader - a running shot at about 80 yards dropped the buck in his tracks. A .50 cal, 348 gr Powerbelt would have that effect on a deer, I would think. ;)

Gila Monster (John) is an SCI scorer, but he and Wayne have both been busy hunting, so John hasn't gotten over there to score Wayne's antelope yet.

Back