Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Look at me, look at me... I drew a moose tag.

Love a good moose tale. Keep it coming...
All good things must come to an end... But I also have a great elk tag that needs attention before archery is over...;)

Not my harvest, but a local guys bow harvest on the opener...51" figure its okay to share since it’s posted on social and I’ve been text 30 times with the same picture..🤣
41697.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck on your elk and moose tag once you get back after it.

Man… drawing a moose tag on top of a premium elk tag is tough. Spent a few days chasing elk this last weekend, wishing that I could have spent a little more time chasing elk with the bow. Easily one of the most fun elk hunts I’ve had, if you call, you literally have to chase the elk off.. passed so many good bulls, I’m certain if I would have hunted the entire season I could have arrowed a tank as I’ve passed a number of 320+ bulls as well as hordes of dinks…

Oh well, real world problems… I’m certain I can kill a bull the size of some I’ve passed when the rifle hunt rolls around, so I’ll still see if I can hold for a big guy…

Anyways… some elk action…

I've only been "tag rich" once many years ago. Unfortunately I didn't do either hunt justice.
Good luck on moose and elk and thanks for the update! Cool videos.

All good things must come to an end... But I also have a great elk tag that needs attention before archery is over...;)
Anyways… let’s rewind a couple of weeks. What real story doesn’t have a flashback?

So lets rewind to the night before the moose charging incident. The weather has been ridiculously warm, the moose sightings have been few and far between, and I am traveling wide and far to try to scrounge up a good moose. All the moose I have watched this summer have disbanded and disappeared.

At this point I am mobile camping. All my gear in the truck, sleep in the bed under the tonneau, cover as much country as I can as fast as I can. I look at the forecast lows for the weekend and Saturday is supposed to get down to 36 overnight and return into the high 70’s. This is possibly the coolest day we’ve had in weeks. I awake to this..IMG_4538.jpegIMG_4542.jpeg

So with the heavy frost and cold, I head to an area that is a known high density moose area. A huge willow river bottom, surrounded by lodgepole pine. Surely with the cold snap overnight, this will fire things up a little. A couple hours on the move, calling, glassing.. nothing!🤷🏽‍♂️

At this point I retreat to a spot I scouted early this summer. As I am walking in, crashing through the down timber (think pickup sticks) I suddenly hear a grunt, followed by another, and another. There is obviously a bull that heard the commotion of busting timber and he is heading this way to check it out…

So this is cool… I get to call my first moose of the year. I play with him, he’s not a big moose but it’s fun. Well about the 4th time I call him in, he gets tired of my crap… as he rounds the corner of the tree I have been keeping between the two of us, I see him lean his head, the evil white of his rolling eyes, his ears pin back and he starts to accelerate… insert the previous video…

I circle the tree frantically, with the sound of antlers crashing through the branches behind me, and then he veers and heads on a trot to the willows. Fun times, I nearly shat my pants…

It’s now nearing mid day, I decide I’m going to run back home, the frost has turned into soaking wet waist high grass, i could use a pair of dry pants and some Taco Bell and let the heat dry things out a little before the evening hunt..🤣

So, I change my pants, mentally plan my evening hunt, preemptively load the 4wheeler that my bro-inLaw brought for me to use for tomorrow morning’s potential hunt into a remote area I haven’t been, and I head out.

As I am driving to the evening spot, I am noticing the is a significant amount of traffic and people about. As I get closer to my evening destination, I realize there is a huge race this weekend, thousands of people running through the heart of the the best elk and moose country in the middle of Muzzleloader season… because why not…🤣

Well… abort mission. I’ll stop and talk to some elk hunters to see if they’ve been seeing anything.🤷🏽‍♂️. It’s a little early for elk hunters to be at camp. I do find a couple, nobody has seen a thing… I keep driving… looking into willow bottoms…. Nothing….

And then it happens…

So with the heavy frost and cold, I head to an area that is a known high density moose area. A huge willow river bottom, surrounded by lodgepole pine. Surely with the cold snap overnight, this will fire things up a little. A couple hours on the move, calling, glassing.. nothing!🤷🏽‍♂️

At this point I retreat to a spot I scouted early this summer. As I am walking in, crashing through the down timber (think pickup sticks) I suddenly hear a grunt, followed by another, and another. There is obviously a bull that heard the commotion of busting timber and he is heading this way to check it out…

So this is cool… I get to call my first moose of the year. I play with him, he’s not a big moose but it’s fun. Well about the 4th time I call him in, he gets tired of my crap… as he rounds the corner of the tree I have been keeping between the two of us, I see him lean his head, the evil white of his rolling eyes, his ears pin back and he starts to accelerate… insert the previous video…

I circle the tree frantically, with the sound of antlers crashing through the branches behind me, and then he veers and heads on a trot to the willows. Fun times, I nearly shat my pants…

It’s now nearing mid day, I decide I’m going to run back home, the frost has turned into soaking wet waist high grass, i could use a pair of dry pants and some Taco Bell and let the heat dry things out a little before the evening hunt..🤣
After the moose encounter, it was very convenient that the wet grass gave you another a reason to go home to change your pants. 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back