Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Longer trips with higher mileage vehicles?

Took my ‘08 Camry to WY for an antelope hunt last fall. Had about 155,000 miles on it. Held up just fine. I had AAA and kept my fingers crossed for that trip.

I’ve had relatively good experiences with those higher mileage vehicles, however the number of issues I’ve had always seems to start to increase as I approach 200,000. The resale prospects also seem to get a bit dimmer around there too. So, I usually try and sell our vehicles in the fall around 160,000 miles. Then I have a new vehicle over the winter and usually get a decent deal on a the prior year model.

Sold that Camry after I got back from the trip and picked up an F150. Worked out great. Although I am jealous of the folks getting 250,000 good miles out of their vehicles.

I have 230,000 on my Silverado. That's pretty darn good for where I live. The amount of salt we throw on our roads, everything usually rusts out by that point

My hunts are 4-5K round trip. I’ve done them with ford explorers and now a 4runner. Pre trip maintenance is key. Some serious problems can be averted with no effort at all when at home in the driveway. Check bolts, brakes, lugs, lines, and for leaks. Check/change fluids, bring a spare quart of everything, enough tools to do light to moderate work. Lower and check your spare, check PSI / wear on all, have a flat kit, spare trailer light / bulbs or two, some wire, crimps, etc in a random/possibles bag (w/screws, nuts, bolts, zip ties, tape, section of hose and various screw clamps, etc). Really, these preparations help around town too. And remember that a few thousand miles (mostly highway) is nothing for a vehicle these days.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back