Longbow Vs Crewcab

Thanks J. That looks awesome. After talking to Greenboy, Aron Snyder and Mark Seacat and from those pictures I'm gonna get the Longbow. Unless I find a Crew Cab for less than $190 its a done deal. I think part of my dillema is I have wanted a crew cab for almost 2 years now and I only thought about the longbow recently because I stumbled upon a review by Aron Snyder about it. Since I will one day own the 6500 the Longbow will be the best choice for a supplimental pack.

I don't think the lack of a compartment will be a big deal. I will probably put a small clip in there to clip the bladder at the top so it isn't flopping around.

You waffle on packs like my teenager waffles on what she should wear to school, I'll believe you when you finally hit the "submit order" button....

You coming out west to hunt this year?

JLS yep I'll be coming to WA for elk this year. I can't come out for archery because of training so I'll be using the smoke pole. Like everyone else I'm hoping to draw a branch bull tag. I have 8 pts so I'm hoping it goes well. Depending on my training schedule I'm hoping to do some open country mule deer hunting as well.

As far as my ever changing mind?? I know I am aweful I wish I could make up my mind. I did however get my brand new Longbow in the mail today. So ha I did make up my mind :). Gonna run it through its paces for a couple weeks and make up my mind for keeps. Seems to be a solid pack though.

I was able to get all this stuff in my Longbow pretty easily. If I put more thought into it I'm sure I could get more in. In the lid there is definately room for a days worth of food.

f48k0.jpg

Here she is all packed up ready to go. It weighs 32 lbs as you see it. This weekend I'll squeeze a 40lbs bag of pellets between the bag and frame and take her for a spin.

b46yvl.jpg

Very nice. The multi cam looks really sharp.

What kind of compression bag is that for your sleeping bag? I need to get one this year.

Nice! I picked up the longbow this year too. For a little more space, i'm planning on ordering the long pockets or rip zip pockets to add 600 to 800 more cu. The pockets should also provide for some protection to your rifle if you strap it to the side of your pack while hiking in.

JLS the compression sack is the one that came with the sleeping bag. It is a 2010 Kelty Lightyear 15*

I will probably always wonder if the crew cab would have been a better choice but I won't ever find out. This bag is so AWESOME!! I can't believe how functional and conveniant the inside pockets are at organizing my gear. Until this I wasn't much of a "pockets" guy. Well I am now. I
I will never go back. The pockets are so awesome at allowing me to organize my gear items.

The size is perfect. I can fit all my gear I would take for a 4 day bivy hunt inside the bag. The only thing that won't fit is the food. For that I will have to buy the side pockets to carry my food.

As far as comfort goes I have been doing 2-4 mile training hikes with 90 lbs in it and this pack hands down handles the weight better than any pack I've tried out before. Part of that I think is because I have a shorter torso so the load lifters for me are functional. Thanks for the advice and input everyone. This pack is just awesome.

Did 12 miles today with 70lbs. This pack impresses me more and more everyday. It was a flat 12 miles but my buddy and I ruck marched it in 2hrs 51min. Man that was dumb. That will teach me to try to hang with a former Ranger.

well if anyone is looking to get rid of a MR pack on the discount let me know. I may be in the market soon. Looking for a longbow but may be looking at a crewcab. We shall see.

I would definately cruise all of the hunting websites in their classifieds if your patient enough one will pop up. In the mean time keep saving money and if nothing comes along then you can buy one new. The NICE frame and Longbow in foliage or coyote is "only" $439 although I recommend getting the waist belt pockets. That's my only regret about my pack.

That is what I have been doing every day. Hope one will come up soon. However, the wife and I both need new packs this year and hers broke and mine just isn't cutting it. However, all the other needs are not going to be helping $ wise.

I would definately cruise all of the hunting websites in their classifieds if your patient enough one will pop up. In the mean time keep saving money and if nothing comes along then you can buy one new. The NICE frame and Longbow in foliage or coyote is "only" $439 although I recommend getting the waist belt pockets. That's my only regret about my pack.

Huntbux what is your budget for the wife? A really good compact made in the USA pack is the Compact Frame Combo from Wilderness Pack Specielties company. The pack has a pocket for a bladder, has a built in rifle or bow sling and is designed to put the meat between the frame and the pack. The pack is light, water proof and is 3,000 cubic inches. Cost is $300.

You can get the MR DragonSlayer for $299 as well. I have hunted my Crewcab the last 2 years, and just picked up a Dragonslayer for a "day" pack. With the livewing belt and frame you can easily haul 80 pounds, plus its VERY comfortable and about 2 pounds lighter than the CC.

She actually likes the fit of the Eberlestock X2. I am setting up my old Blacks Creek Canadian to see if that fits her. Cost wise it would help us out a lot if the hand me down worked out. Then i could work on getting me a nicer pack for my elk hunt this year. Thanks for all the info LNGBOW and Hooligan will take a look at those as well if the hand me down isn't a winner.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back