Longbow Vs Crewcab

LNGBOWFLYER

Hello gentleman. I am new here to this forum. I have done a search and read through a ton of posts and threads about Mystery Ranch packs. I recently purchased the NICE frame but didn't buy a bag because Im unsure which bag would suit my needs. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Crew Cab until I stumbled upon some reviews done by aron Snyder about the Longbow. I literally go back and forth between the two. My question is this. I want a pack that can be capable of being a day pack / 4 day bivy pack / meat hauler all in one. So what do you all think? Does the Longbow provide a more secure way to haul meat? Does the crew cab handle higher weights better. This pack will also go in the tree stand with me and maybe haul tree stands. Also I am 5'6" with like a 16-17" torso. So the load lifters will be fine.

If I get the Longbow I will get the day pack lid, 2 side pouches and 4 of the extra straps.
If I get the crew cab I will buy 1 large load cell and the day pack lid.

Lol Ouch short jokes hurt :). Also don't you know your supposed to tell me what I "want" to hear not what I "need" to hear. :) I forgot to mention that after I get back from Afghanistan I'm going to Alaska. For that I WILL buy a 6500. So I guess maybe I should ask which would be a better suplemental pack to the 6500. The LB or CC.

If you decide on the cc I have one in foliage color gathering dust that I will let go for a decent price.

Get em both! I lovemy Crew Cab, but am always looking for a deal on other bags for different applications

I was in the same boat as you not to long ago and looking for a pack to do everything you described. I went back and forth for a few months and finally decided on the longbow. I think the crew cab will be better for hauling meat, treestands, etc, but I like the layout of the longbow bag better. And also in that picture thread Lawnboy linked above, there are guys hauling pretty good loads with the longbow. I'm considering buying the load sling for the times when I strictly need to haul something (pre-season treestands, etc.) but so far I love the longbow. I'm sure you would be happy with either.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Man its still tough to decide. I've got some thinking to do. I think the tough part is I'm choosing between 2 really good packs. I would pick the crew cab hands down but... My only issue is I dont know how you would haul meat and your camp at the same time? Does anyone have pictures or advice one how I could haul a large load cell, and meat at the same time? If this can he done I'll buy the crew cab in a heart beat.

Dbone what part of NNY are you from?

Piece of cake. There is plenty of room for load cells and a load of meat when you expand the crewcab. Especially if you use the daypack lid..that extends the height of the pack quite a bit by cinching down your load from the top. You'll be able to stuff more into that pack then you'll be able to physically carry.

So would you put the load cell on the bottom and then the meat on top of that then cinch it down with the day lid on top? Also another question I have is a lot of people say that the crew cab hauls meat better than the longbow. Why is that since they use the same frame?

With the Longbow you are going to "compress" the meat between the frame and the bag. With the crew cab you are going to open the shelf area up and load the meat on it. I know you can haul more awkward loads with the CC but the LB has more compartments and is a nicer day pack style.

I still say that if you are looking for what will be more efficient on backpack style hunts then you need to go with the 6500. No matter what pack you choose you will make multiple trips packing out so with that in mind a 6500 will save you possibly one or more and will make it nicer when hauling both camp and meat. IMO.

If you don't think your going to be doing a lot of 3-5 day hunts then I'd go with the CC and load cells or LB. They will be nicer day hunt packs than the 6500. I own all 3 and if I was doing mostly multi day over nighters and could only pick one pack it would be the 6500. If I was only doing a couple of those mixed with day hunts i go with the CC and cells.

The LB is cheaper than buying the CC and all those load cells but I see it more as a "souped up daypack" that will allow you too haul a load out the night you shoot something.

I'm with the 6500 guys on this one for a plain and simple reason. The way the CC operates on the NICE frame it doesn't do much load lifting. The 6500 does, and for heavy loads it will be a little nicer on your shoulders.

That is some great advice so thankyou. As to why I won't commit to the 6500 right away here is what I will use my pack for in the near term.

2012: Summer hiking and some overnight trips.
Fall elk hunting. Day trips and maybe an overnight or 2 day trips. + meat hauler.
Fall tree stand deer hunting. Packing and hauling stands.
2013: My bug out bag in my Apache when I'm deployed.
2014: 4 day bivy elk hunt. Or. (fingers crossed). Alaska sheep/moose hunt for 10days.

Beyond. A lot of day trips, tree stand hauling and hunting. Day trips for elk and 4 day bivy hunts for elk and deer. Also hauling meat. So I do need a day size pack. Obviously for Alaska and future bivy hunts I will have the 6500.

Longbow (Colockumelk, you can't hid),

I just bought a Longbow. I haven't tried strapping a treestand on it yet, but I will this week.

I've been packing about 90 pounds in this to test out the NICE frame, and it's a good pack. I think it will be very easy to load meat in. I think you could do a 4 day trip with it IF your gear is good (ie. light and compact).

I think the Longbow will make an excellent day pack and haul out meat. I think it will make an excellent overnight pack also. I really like it's simplicity.

I can fit all of my gear inside of the longbow bag w/o a lid or long pouches. I plan on strapping my food on the side in stuff bags. I have 2 of the accessory straps. I don't know if you would need a lid, I went w/o one for now.

Hey Lngbowflyer. I saw from your other thread you were at Fort Drum. I'm actually just outside of Watertown towards Sackets Harbor, so we are pretty much neighbors.

I think the crew cab is better for hauling meat, treestands, etc. just because it is designed to open and put them in the shelf area as Lawnboy describes. With the longbow you will need to put meat in between the bag and frame or inside in the bag with your other gear. I went with the longbow just because I like the layout of the bag better and I figure I'll be using it as a daypack far more often then I'll be hauling meat, treestands, blinds, etc.

How small do your climbing sticks bundle up to? I don't have any yet, but need to get some. I'll be using my pack very much the same that you do. I think the climbing sticks would strap on the back of the Longbow bag very easily as long as they aren't really bulky.

I think it will be very easy to attach the stand to the frame.

I have 2 sets of sticks. One set is 4 sets of 5' section the other is 5 sets of 4' sections. Actually now that I think about it its easier to just bundle the sticks together with a bungee chord and carry them. With the stand itself on the frame this would work out well.

Dude the climbing sticks are so worth it. Once you try them youll never use screw in pegs again. From start to finish it might take 5 minutes ( 10 tops) to strap 20 feet of climbing sticks to the tree. Plus its a heck of alot easier to climb up and down the tree with them.

Here are some photos with a treestand attached. It's about a 60 second job that involves fastening the buckles and tightening straps, so easy a caveman could do it. I think it would be pretty easy to attach climbing sticks too.

A side note, when I told you all of my gear would fit in the Longbow bag, that was with my tent strapped underneath the bag not in it. My sleeping bag, IAC pad, etc would all be inside.

Attachments

• DSCN0070.JPG
    DSCN0070.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,096
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 3,843
  • DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,769
Back