Long lost SFC B!!

SFC B

Well as some of you know the twists and turns of the post-retirement world have led me to Germany. I am back working at a job I hate all for the $$$$ :/ Not what I wanted at all but life tends to dictate some of these things. Bright side is that I have a great apartment here in Kaiserslautern and am making the $$$ while plotting my return home. The upcoming season is looking a little bleak in the B household. Pretty much the only shot we will have for hunting this year is if the little one and I draw the RFW tags I put us in for that would fall over Christmas holidays. I even looked into taking the German hunter ed/hunting license course only to find out it is only given around here starting in January :( Hopefully I will be long gone by then. So, I will try to be around a little now that I am settled a bit and would go ahead and extend an invitation to any Hunttalkers who may be in the area to a beer and kebap or schnitzel. Prost!!

I loved Kaiserslautern (Vogelweh). It has probably changed a lot since I was there in 1963/64. My father was the Manager of the NCO Club on the base. After that, we went to Zweibrucken, then to Landstuhl where he decided to retire (Army) in 1966. I would love to go back there one day.

Last edited:
Sure it has changed but there is an overwhelming amount of American bases around here :) I live in downtown Kaiserslautern so I am kind of in the middle of them all. I was just on Vogelweh today trying to get my vehicle registered....it was a whole thing :/

Hey I lived in Vogelweh housing 1156-K from 1995-1998 when stationed on R.O.B. Sure don't miss K-town but enjoyed Germany once I got about an hour away from any military base.

Landstuhl was beautiful when I was there in '04. Then I realized the day I was leaving that Heidelberg, where I was born, was only a short train ride away and I missed out on the opportunity to see it.

Too bad you missed it. Heidelberg has a beautiful castle right on the river. The town is really nice too. Octoberfest is really nice, beer (Lowenbrau, Hoffbrau) and bratwursts !!! Wow, I miss Germany!

Everything in Heidelberg is closed now.... :( K-Town is the center of the US universe in Germany now.....I will be getting out and about into Bavaria ASAP

Everything in Heidelberg is closed now.... :( K-Town is the center of the US universe in Germany now.....I will be getting out and about into Bavaria ASAP

Definitely get down to Bavaria (it is my favorite part of Germany)! I have been to JMTC at Hoenfels a couple of times, and have been able to get out and see quite a bit Regensburg, Coberg (really cool castle there), Berchtesgaden (definitely see the Eagles Nest), and go across to Salzburg as well.

Definitely get down to Bavaria (it is my favorite part of Germany)! I have been to JMTC at Hoenfels a couple of times, and have been able to get out and see quite a bit Regensburg, Coberg (really cool castle there), Berchtesgaden (definitely see the Eagles Nest), and go across to Salzburg as well.

Bavaria...the Texas of Germany.

Spent 6 years in Nurnberg, Stationed at Johnson Barracks from 86 to 92. All of the Nurnberg Military community is gone now. Loved Bavaria and went back last summer with my family. Still as beautiful as ever.

There used to be American owned military hotels in Garmisch Partenkirchen and Berchtesgaden. I am sure that has all changed. Make sure you take in a couple of the local beer fests, they are always more fun that the big Octoberfest in Munich. imo .

You should get over to Berlin, it is unlike the rest of Germany because it is open all night.

Nemont

Last edited:
Plenty of nearby countries and hunting options to consider before you fly home.

A swagger of affordable options from roe deer, muntjac, chinese water deer, boars, red stags, boar, bears, fallow deer, chamois, mouflon....your right in the thick of it there and with a little research you can find great affordable hunting.

Good luck.

HGWT,
I may have to pick your brain a bit. I have almost nothing with me though. One set of hunting clothes....that's it. I would love to just get out with some folks here even if I can't be a trigger puller.

Nemont,
The Army gave back the Berchtesgarten property and the hotel that used to be in Garmisch (the Von Stueben). In 2005 they opened a big new resort hotel called Edelweiss adjacent to the Marshall Center. It is a nice (if REALLY American) place with good facilities. The food is horrible and the beer is expensive. So, poor poor me has to walk a few blocks toward town to get good chow and beer for half the price :) I like the little fests but am still glad I have been to the Grand-daddy in Munchen.....that was a good day :) Berlin would be nice but is a real haul fro K Town so that will be a little down the list.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back