Long Distance Drive for Mulies?

Kyhunter42

One week until we leave for our Montana mule deer and I can’t wait. Nothing like driving 2000 miles to get you ready for a wilderness hunt. I plan on driving 500 miles before picking up my two hunting partners for the last 1500. We looked at flying out and renting a truck, but that was too much money. We’ll be driving an extended cab F250 4x4 with a camper shell on the back, so we should have plenty of room. We drove 1500 miles to NM a couple of years ago and that wasn’t bad. Does anyone one else drive a long distance to hunt? Or are we the only crazy ones.

I'm sure you're not the only one to travel long distances to hunt big game. I travel about 300 miles and that seems like it takes forever at times. Be safe, drive careful, and good luck on your Montana deer hunt. Be sure to post some pics upon completion!

Couple of my buddies are driving from here in MD out to western CO to hunt elk. They'll be picking me up at the airport in Denver. ;)

I'm driving from NC and picking up two guys in KY. I'll definitly post some of our pics.

Made the drive from Calif to Colorado last year.21 hrs. Next time I think it's a fly in trip and rent the truck.When I checked into the flying and renting gig It came up cheaper in the long run than driving. How did you figure your cost? Just curious.

Good luck KYhunter42!!

I was suppose to be on the road right now to Rock Springs, Wyoming to pick up my camper that I left there last year and take it to Lake City,Colorado to hunt deer and elk the second season. Tuesday a bar of steel fell on my big toe (no steel toes:( ). I had to poke holes in the blood blusters and drill holes in the toe nail to let the blood out. It doesn't feel too bad today. I am worried about infection though.My wife wanted me to get an xray to see if it's broke. Screw that, I'm going hunting. I am worried about infection though.

I was leaving early to scout the Big Blue and Lagarita. Now I'll probably have to pick one. I plan on leaving sunday.

I did the twenty plus hour drive a few years back when I hunted in Idaho and was planning on doing it again but my buddies brother who was heading up the hunt got cancer. I got stuck with a liscense, but on the brite side he seems to be doing ok.Hopefully the opportunity will come along again.

Ridge Runner,

There were several things we looked at when we decided to drive. We are hunting the CMR, so at first we talked about taking a boat to gain access to some remote areas on Ft. Peck Reservoir. But we decided to hike in instead. We I calculated to cost of airfare and renting a truck for 10 or 11 days and it was more than the cost of fuel. Airfare was about $500 per person. Renting a 4x4 was about $600. So to fly out was a total of about $2100, not counting parking at the airport or fuel cost for the rental. That comes out to be about $700 per person. We are driving a 4x4 diesel, so it gets about 16 mpg. It will be about 4000 miles, so that should be about 270 gallons. At $2.75 a gallon, that totals about $750.

Besides even if it cost the same I have had two bad experiences flying with my pack.
1. On a trip to Alaska Delta used a box cutter to open my pack, luckily it was on the way home
2. Continental lost my pack and gun on the way out to New Mexico. Nothing like waiting an extra day in El Paso for hunting gear to arrive.

I drove 1400 miles to pick up a new bass boat last weekend. Drove 21 hours each way to hunt Montana elk years ago. Wth other people to take a turn at the wheel it should not be a big deal. You can also pak along all the gear you need to set up a good camp which you can't do on a plane. Good luck on your hunt.

kyhunter42, I have a couple of different buddies that drive all the way out here to Montana from North Carolina in the years they are lucky enough to draw. It's a long ways, but they always have a good time. Since you are hunting the CMR BE DARN CAREFUL if it rains. That place will turn into your worst nightmare if it gets really wet and muddy. In fact, you just might wind up Montana residents before you can get out. Anyway best of luck and here's a photo of a buck one of my N.C. buddy's took last year with me, you know, just to get you excited.
MuleDeerLarkeA_original.jpg

Big Sky,
That is a nice buck. I've talked to the guy in the picture a couple of times online. He posted a pic of that buck on ncdeer.com.

I have a 700 mile drive coming up next weekend (it's for whitetail). I have a 600+ mile drive in the middle of Nov for Mule deer. Hopefully both drives are worth it.............

Hmmmm…from Redding, CA to some of my more frequented haunts:

Coalinga, CA 5 hrs
Fossil, OR 7 hrs
Baker, OR 9 hrs
Heppner, OR 9 hrs
Cle Elum, WA 9 hrs
Leavenworth, WA 10 hrs
Sandpoint, ID 12 hrs
Darby, MT 15 hrs
Herron, MT 15 hrs
Bondurant, WY 15 hrs
Rifle, CO 16 hrs
Casper, WY 17 hrs

Yeah, I hate the long drives.

The 6pt bull I shot last week was about 40 miles from my house (17 miles from my Dad's place). About the same drive in a slightly different direction to hunt muleys. Actually, I could be deer hunting in about 20 minutes if need be;)

headen out next wed. for hayden Co.
just over 1000 mile for me. the guy going
with me has to add anouther 350 to get
to my house befor we leave.

MarvB
small world
i was born in Redding back in 1956
have you been there long

brike- I'm a coastie originally (Arcata/Eureka) but moved to Redding in 1974-1977 and then back again from 1986 to the present....long ways to Mo!

....long ways to Mo!
yep
dident live there long
lived in novato till i was 14 then moved here
i'm now 50 & only been back out there once to visit

good luck huntin this year
Brike

I drove about 2000 miles each way on my hunt to the Yukon. My parents came along and we car camped all the way there and back. We went through Banff and Jasper Park and then took the Cassiar Hwy. up. Got done hunting early and drove a couple days north on the Dempster hwy as far as Fort McPherson, NWT before turning around and heading back on the Alaska Highway. That was a great trip and got to see country few people ever will.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back