Yeti GOBOX Collection

Logistics

diamond hitch

I guess I'm a little dense at times but it seems to take me a while to understand how to get to some places and why. As most of my hunting is in the snow I often let the elk show me the way but they tend to be an evil bunch and straight up is in their vocabulary. The easiest way is often with a tail wind. The trip is nice but the view is limited as the elk have been gone for an hour or more.

I've got a spot that the elk tend to run to and then hole up for a week or two. I cut out the creek bottom but 15 creek crossings seem to try my patience with stock. Tried the hillside but rock slopes at 40 degrees with 2 inch pebbles tend to make everyone kind of tense - especially with snow.

When the trees died the beautiful mature stand of lodgepoles turned into crotch high downfall. It wasn't so tough as the abrasion on my inner thighs seemed to get worse over time. Consequently I haven't hunted a big chunk of really good elk habitat for 4-6 years. I could hunt the edges but that took 4-6 hours to get there just in time to go back.

Last year I happened to stumble into an old trail on the edge after a really tough " almost got there day" that showed me a differant way. Half a mile south and I have access to it on an 8% grade through green trees. It has only taken me 22 years to see the light. Now if only I could find a ready access to youth. Oh well steady by jerks works too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back