Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Loan for hunting

My wife and I made an early business decision that if it didn't make money we wouldn't finance. Personal or business. 25 yrs later it was the right call. I think it's our mindset that determines financial success. I still haven't gone on that dream hunt for sheep. But I may when my Kids are older.

I'm loan/debt free all due to the booming house sale. I feel much better without debt over my head, in fact, I feel great!
However, I get the point creep feeling and living life.
I went from instant invincible atv, boot rambler of the mountains to what should have been death, then should have been a quadriplegic, to now an eternal gratefulness for my approx 80% of who I used to be (age adjusted).

if it's an epic, long dreamed, trip of a lifetime, do it, IMO for tomorrow we may hopefully continue to dream our bucket list.

Heck, I was swimming with some estimated 20-30 bull sharks! Never in a million years would I've thought of such.

a Mountain Caribou in NWT is on my list. Sooner, rather than later. My 9 lives are far behind. Living on borrowed time as it is.

I totally get the motivation and it’s frustrating that it can seem so far away. However, buying into this the “I must do this now or I’ll never be able to” fear game is why Alaska hunts are as expensive as they are and why Americans are being crushed by debt. Think about someone in the hunting world that you respect. Big fin is a good example. Did he take out a loan to hunt Alaska or Canada? I highly doubt it.

You can’t compare yourself with the Jones. Your financial achievements will never be the same as their no matter how much effort you put forth.

i would borrow 30k and do a once in a lifetime adventure, if my spouse also is given the same opportunity , before id buy a 30-80k vehicle,,,,
knowing ahead of time the debt gonna hang over my head, id be buying and selling anything i can get my hands on
i have a litter of puppies for sale, anyone want to pay into my fund,,

I wish @Big Fin would comment. I think his advice on “you’ll run out of health before money” is great advice. But the way the question is posed it sounds more like “you’ll run out of health before running out of someone else’s money.” Not sure that’s what he’d advise 🤔.

I’m way too big of a financial weenie to borrow for fun. I personally have a heck of a time borrowing for any reason (too much Dave Ramsey). But I know Fin’s advice is solid and I’m working hard to work less and live more the older I get. Pic is today’s installment of getting out and enjoying it!

IMG_6441.jpg

You can’t compare yourself with the Jones. Your financial achievements will never be the same as their no matter how much effort you put
You can’t compare yourself with the Jones. Your financial achievements will never be the same as their no matter how much effort you put forth.
Totally agree that we shouldn’t keep up with the Joneses, but that’s exactly why most people are even considering some of these hunts. Additionally, my comment was merely an analogy and should be viewed as a good example of fiscal responsibility, not justification for doing what others with more means can do.

Only on page 2, but has anyone run the actual inflation numbers on Alaska hunting? I'd bet it outpaces general inflation just based on the few conversations I've had with outfitters in recent years. I'm guessing at least up 20% since 2019?

I'm pretty much at the point that I'm probably never gonna buy or do a 30k adventure unless I win an opportunity. It sucks that every year it inflates more and more. There's some incredible adventures out there though DIY opportunities that are a fraction of that and depending on what you want you could do a hell of a lot right in NA for 30k+.

I do the side hustle thing, it's good money and its pretty easy to save up with it. So if I put 4 or 5 away a year for an adventure I'm pretty happy.

I'm gonna start diving in on some of these things before they sky rocket to.

I don't think it's a stupid idea. It would have to be a pretty good interest rate to be appealing though. I'm young enough now that I'll do everything diy that I can. But my list of critters I want to chase comes with a hefty price tag. There's a lot you can't chase without a guide.

Passive income! That's why as soon as I graduated college I bought a house. When looking at my estimated equity, I'm glad I did. This house will become a rental property when we decide to up size. The 401k hasn't been making any good moves the past couple years. There's a lot more money to be made off of real estate.

Hopefully by the time I decide to be done DIYing everything, I'll have a nice fat passive income check coming in every month.

If taking a loan is your best bet, screw it! Sign on the dotted line and go hunt. I'd rather work till I'm 75 and have a hell of a lot of amazing experiences than retire at 55 and regret not doing things while I was able. Money in, money out!

I'm loan/debt free all due to the booming house sale. I feel much better without debt over my head, in fact, I feel great!
However, I get the point creep feeling and living life.
I went from instant invincible atv, boot rambler of the mountains to what should have been death, then should have been a quadriplegic, to now an eternal gratefulness for my approx 80% of who I used to be (age adjusted).

if it's an epic, long dreamed, trip of a lifetime, do it, IMO for tomorrow we may hopefully continue to dream our bucket list.

Heck, I was swimming with some estimated 20-30 bull sharks! Never in a million years would I've thought of such.

a Mountain Caribou in NWT is on my list. Sooner, rather than later. My 9 lives are far behind. Living on borrowed time as it is.
More or less the same. Go n do it now

i would borrow 30k and do a once in a lifetime adventure, if my spouse also is given the same opportunity , before id buy a 30-80k vehicle,,,,
knowing ahead of time the debt gonna hang over my head, id be buying and selling anything i can get my hands on
i have a litter of puppies for sale, anyone want to pay into my fund,,

My wife brought up the idea of her new car when we were talking tonight. I get a 30k trip and she gets a 60k Tahoe. Not sure this is a such a good deal anymore. Lol

My wife brought up the idea of her new car when we were talking tonight. I get a 30k trip and she gets a 60k Tahoe. Not sure this is a such a good deal anymore. Lol
Find her one that's 2 years old for 30k, then go hunt! I love Billy's videos and would love to do a hunt like that.

Find her one that's 2 years old for 30k, then go hunt! I love Billy's videos and would love to do a hunt like that.

Hers is 7 years old now and we will get another 5 out of it before it’s time to take her seriously about a car. It’s gets maybe 40 miles a week. Rust will get it before miles. Lol

Sounds like my wife. She always says she doesn’t care if I spend money as long as she gets something too. It always makes me not spend money.

FOMO is wild.
Right? Where's the line between doing something you've dreamed about and chasing a happiness you'll never find? If you can't be happy, excited, content with what you have, why will a 30-60k trip change that? But then again, my Mom always wanted to go to Africa, so in 2017 they went, she's perfectly content to never go again, will die happy, having checked off every box on her life list.

Back