PEAX Equipment

Llama Packing

Obligated

Hey everyone, I am investigating the option of renting llamas for future Mule deer hunts, so I am putting out the call for any info folks can share who have done this before. Looking for the "definitely do this" and the "definitely don't do this" kinda stuff.

On the surface it looks like a good option for a guy who has a 25 year old spirit but a 50 year old body :) All helpful info and funny stories welcome.

I have enjoyed using Llamas in the past, eat about anything, can go long without water, stake them out and let them graze. Like any animal they can have their own personalities but generally easy to get along with. Can go places you can't get a horse or mule. I have heard a wide range on what people load we never went over 100 lbs. For a mule deer hunt should work nicely.

My cousin did chase one that decided it didn't want to play for 2 days before catching it. When they spit the velocity is amazing and luckily they reserved that for each other but I have heard that is not always the case. They hate dogs and won't hesitate to stomp one.

Last edited:
I've done a trial backpack trip with 2 of them up to 12000 feet. It is a good way to go. Overall low maintenance. They jumped in the back of the truck and we rolled to the trailhead. I would use them again for sure. They like to be together so you need more than 1. They talk a lot. Kind of humming the whole time. They get freaked out if the see a dog. If they get lose they are hectic to get back.

Congrats mtmuley! That's a sign of good living. Unfortunately I have abused my body with college football, military, and SWAT testosterone BS over the years and am thankful for any help I can get ��

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back