Little help please for the FNG with no clue !!!

TXJON

Hi all, well I found this site last year kinda late, and well forgot all about it and applying for any draws anywhere. Im rather new to the whole hunting out west. So new in fact I've never been.
So here I sit knowing that the draws have been made and no real clue how to proceed with a self hunt. I live in Texas and this will the be the first year I've been able to rub to coins together, and am wondering what my options might be for a mule deer hunt.
Anyone who might point me in the right direction would be a great help, cuz to be honest my head gets to spinnin when I start looking at all the info on those state sites with all their rules and regs that I get lost.

Thanks if anyone should choose to help

TXJON, A deer hunts gonna be tough to put together this late. All's not lost though pick a state or maybe two and start slow, you might think about picking up a left over tag. I think if i where you i would find a spot that you think would be a starting place for a muley hunt, figure out a way to scout it while hunting something else,elk,antelope,javilina. Go back through the old forums, lots of ideas there on how other guys put their plans together. Remember that this is your hunt, your hunt planner wont look like mine or anyone else's . Start slow make a plan for this year,but start putting plans together for the future. Making plans can be fun once you get started,i have spent many hours on the job thinking and planning my future hunts.Good luck.

For this season,check for left over combo tags in Mt.A little expensive but you get elk and deer tag.Otherwise,get an Co. otc elk tag and scout for muleys while hunting elk.This site has a page with draw stats,but for a good hunt, it will take a few years to draw

Thank you all... I hope to one day be able to hunt the big mountains out west of Texas... Colorado, Montana, Idaho.. somewhere like that.

Guessing I need to start small... Get overloaded pretty quick with the info haha

Thanks again .. should I get my "S" together and get out I'll be sure to post a play by play

You might look at the Matador WMA out towards west Texas, my uncle has hunted out there a few times for mule deer. Not sure if it is a draw type hunt but might be worth checking on.

Most of Tx is private land. You contact the land owner and pay for permission to hunt his property. You still have to buy a license, but there is no drawing of a tag involved. The land owners own the game on their property there. Go exploring on line and look for Texas Hunts. There are areas in New Mexico that seel out of staters, over the counter deer tags. There are left over tags in Arizona that will be available for application by mail on or after 1 August. There are lots of ways to still hunt this year if you go after them.

If you are wanting to bowhunt mule deer there may still be a few leftover tags for some areas. Calling the Colorado department of wildlife might be a quick way to find out. The reason there are tags left over is because they are not considered great mule deer areas usually but if you just want a chance to get out there and experience a hunt in the mountains that may be an option. The time Is running out fast on that option though since deer archery starts real soon.

Hey Texas I'm in the same boat as you. so i'm planning for next year all ready. It's all new to me .But I have been on the phone with game &fish and web page going over all i can . I live in Illinois so its alot of work but next year i will be there. Good luck. This year it may be a left over tag cow in wyoming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back