Caribou Gear

Lion, Leopard, Grizzly, Polar Bear

Grizzly for sure, but under specific circumstances. Polar bear... not sure if you can really do a wilderness polar bear hunt even in Canada, plus bringing it home... I have no interest shooting a bear out of a blind outside a dump in Churchill or something like that.

No interest in lions or leopards... I get that Africa is massive, and hunting there is complicated and nuanced, but when someone mentions African lions this is the image that comes to mind and it's just tainted the idea for me. Would love to hunt a lion with dogs in the US.

View attachment 117865

This is kinda what I would want out of a polar bear hunt...

25 day battle....holy crap!! Now that was pretty awesome!

Many other things I'd rather hunt first. Big predators not really on my list of hunt desires right now and likely never will be. No desire to stop others from pursuing such animals as long as it doesn't hurt long term conservation.
I really have no desire to hunt any of them. That being said, hunters' money is all that is supporting the conservation of many of these animals. The animal rights fools only contribute to the politics of it. Much of Africa will soon be devoid of game, if hunters' money dries up. That money supports a human population that is growing out of control and gobbling up game habitat. That part of it is not going to change, but hunting funds keeps a monetary value on the game animals and makes them worth protection by the populace.

If I was going on a hunt in alaska for say moose or caribou and the option was there to hunt a griz to I would, but I wouldnt plan a trip specifically for griz.

The others are sweet, but not for me. I love reading stories of the African cat hunts and all just no desire to hunt them.

Polar bears are to cuddly and drink coca-cola so I'd pass on them also. 😋 in all seriousness tho a polar bear is one I would have to mull over for awhile. But I'm leaning towards a pass on them to.
It’s important to remember that the coco-cola they drink is from before they took the cocaine out of it.

Interesting replies.
thank you

wilm1313, The only way you can hunt Polar Bears in Canada are wilderness hunts with inuit guides via dog sleds. Unfortunately you can not take your trophy home .

As mentioned in my initial post I would enjoy hunting Lion as long as it was a fair chase hunt, not from a blind or farm raised Lion. And I have no desire to hunt a Leopard from a blind.

I also noticed some have no desire to travel long distances, just to hunt, when they can hunt wherever they are now, at home. In my case some of my desire to hunt Lions is to hunt someplace I have not hunted. If I ever had the money to hunt Africa, I would probably hunt only plains game simply because I could not afford to hunt the Big 5, but I would hunt them if I could afford to do so, but only if they were fair chase hunts

Some folks from the South also travel North to hunt the Musk Oxen, Wood Bison and Caribou, but I understand that some just dont want to spend time and money traveling when they have animals they can hunt where they live.

I might also mention that hunting mountain grizzly can be different, and in my opinion, not the "adrenaline " hunt that coastal browns can be. Just like the Polar Bear hunts bring different challenges to the hunter than hunting the Grizzly or Browns.

Carl 9.3 x 62 , my sentiments mirror yours .

Enjoyed everyones posts

Interesting replies.
thank you

wilm1313, The only way you can hunt Polar Bears in Canada are wilderness hunts with inuit guides via dog sleds. Unfortunately you can not take your trophy home .

As mentioned in my initial post I would enjoy hunting Lion as long as it was a fair chase hunt, not from a blind or farm raised Lion. And I have no desire to hunt a Leopard from a blind.

I also noticed some have no desire to travel long distances, just to hunt, when they can hunt wherever they are now, at home. In my case some of my desire to hunt Lions is to hunt someplace I have not hunted. If I ever had the money to hunt Africa, I would probably hunt only plains game simply because I could not afford to hunt the Big 5, but I would hunt them if I could afford to do so, but only if they were fair chase hunts

Some folks from the South also travel North to hunt the Musk Oxen, Wood Bison and Caribou, but I understand that some just dont want to spend time and money traveling when they have animals they can hunt where they live.

I might also mention that hunting mountain grizzly can be different, and in my opinion, not the "adrenaline " hunt that coastal browns can be. Just like the Polar Bear hunts bring different challenges to the hunter than hunting the Grizzly or Browns.

Carl 9.3 x 62 , my sentiments mirror yours .

Enjoyed everyones posts

Go figure, sounds like a cool hunt to experience.

What do you say a coastal brown is more of an adrenaline than a mountain grizz, I would think it would be the opposite?

I’d hunt all of them, but I haven’t yet. I’ve gone guided one time each for elk, Muley, and bighorn. I guess you could say that’s where I’ve placed importance on when spending extra money.

I have always enjoyed new experiences and locations, whether hunting or not, so YES to all. But unfortunately my hunting days are over.

But to stay within the boundaries of your question

I have only been on one Polar hunt and it was so different than anything I had done before, I loved it and not just the hunt.

Enjoyed Lion hunting as well. Never blind or bait hunted them, always track and stalk. Very exhilarating hunt. But again it isn't just the hunt you remember, the people, country, camp, food. Even the lions of Burkina Faso , are a bit different, the county is a bit different, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless

Brown and Grizzly. Personally, I enjoyed the Brown hunts at Kodiak and Kamchatka a bit more than the inland mountain grizzly hunts. But the mountain hunt scenery is so beautiful, in Alaska and Canada. I just found the Brown bear hunts to be a bit more exhilarating.

I have been on Leopard hunts but did not/do not like Blind hunting. To each their own, but it isn't for me.

But guys, dont forget you can hunt cougars in North America. I enjoyed hunting them with hounds, but boy is that a young man ( or woman ) hunt.

But as I said, I truly enjoyed "seeing" and "experiencing" , whether hunting or not.

A very nice young nurse asked me just yesterday what I would like to do again and I said "all of it!"

I can’t think of a single species anywhere that I wouldn’t want to hunt under fair chase conditions if the species population was good enough and I could afford to hunt it.

I think for most of us a big factor in "wanting to hunt" some of these animals would the the price tag involved. It's hard for me to think of going on a brown bear hunt without the $20,000 - $30,000 price tag that would go with it. The price tag would make me not want to go on that hunt.

I think if you said, someone has given you a free brown bear hunt, would you go on it? You would get different answers. At least from me.

It's easy for me to say I wouldn't want to hunt a lion, polar bear, brown bear, etc. if I had to pay the money. Even if you gave me the money and said you had to use it on a hunt I can think of other species I would rather hunt (several different sheep species would be at the top of that list).

If you gave me a free hunt no strings attached to hunt any of those I think I would have to at least try it. Even the leopard in the blind. Not sure I could hunt a farm raised lion like the ones in wllm1313's picture though.

No interest. Have shot predators in the past and trapped them. Much rather focus on elk and similar tasty critters now. Seems a lot of predator hunting involve hunting over bait or chasing them until being treed or too tired to keep running. I'll pass.

I think for most of us a big factor in "wanting to hunt" some of these animals would the the price tag involved. It's hard for me to think of going on a brown bear hunt without the $20,000 - $30,000 price tag that would go with it. The price tag would make me not want to go on that hunt.

I think if you said, someone has given you a free brown bear hunt, would you go on it? You would get different answers. At least from me.

It's easy for me to say I wouldn't want to hunt a lion, polar bear, brown bear, etc. if I had to pay the money. Even if you gave me the money and said you had to use it on a hunt I can think of other species I would rather hunt (several different sheep species would be at the top of that list).

If you gave me a free hunt no strings attached to hunt any of those I think I would have to at least try it. Even the leopard in the blind. Not sure I could hunt a farm raised lion like the ones in wllm1313's picture though.

huntin24/7 and npaden

I agree. I am always thinking about a local hunt, but sometimes dream about the hunts being discussed on this thread. Would I do them if I had the money --you bet !!!!! even Muskox, Walrus, Cape buffalo, if the opportunity arose. Like April mentioned, I enjoy all my hunts, even the ones when I come home with no game .

Tom Hoffman, told me he thought that polar bear was the greatest adventure bowhunt in North America. Coming from the someone who is arguably the most accomplished bowhunter ever that’s high praise.

nah! if it ain't in Idaho it ain't nuthin I need!

And there is nothing wrong with that. If I had never hunted anywhere but Arizona I would have hunted some beautiful Elk, had excellent table faire by hunting Coues deer , hunted cougars with hounds, and had wild turkey for Thanksgiving ( if I shot straight )

But my life went in a different direction and I have no regrets. I also dont believe Big Fin has any regrets about his recent hunting trip to Canada. David and Guy both fulfilled their live long dream by traveling to Alaska. I had never ever heard of a Capercaille, but hunting them on ski's in Sweden was a very unusual but fun hunt. I would love to be physically able to ride a horse right now and go on one more fox hunt.

Even, if one didn't hunt in some of these places, the scenery is so beautiful and diverse. But, so is Idaho and Arizona

Trial153. As a bow hunter, I failed miserably, maybe in my next life I will do better. But having hunted them with a rifle, I can not imagine the skill, the work, the adrenaline, the FEAR, in hunting them with a bow.. Hats off to that gentleman.

I would like to hunt lion, griz or brown bear, and leopard. I’ve never thought about polar bear and it doesn’t sound like that’s really a viable hunt.

Now I WANT to hunt Cape buffalo but unless the Lord changes my financial situation greatly, I don’t see that as an option.

I've hunted Mt Grizzlies (BC, 66 days over a 5 year period), Polar bear (Nunavut) and brown bear (Alaska) successfully with my bow. They all were great adventures and a bit hair raising...i.e. the grizzly shot was 13 yards and he ran past at 2 yards as he "escaped". Then the sow had to be spooked away from 15 yards. Took two days for the adrenaline to subside. The brown was taken at 12:40 AM...and it was barely light. The followup at good light in the morning was hairy in the alders. The polar was taken on day 11 (of a 10 day hunt) on Feb 23. (The sun came back the week prior after being gone for three months). Living at -40* (F or C) out on the polar ice over 100 km from any other people with two great Inuits in a 6'x9' tent and seeing how they survive, how much tougher they are to cold than I, how they utilize the dogs, hunting seals, how the foxes follow the bears for survival were all the experience of a lifetime. Seeing the immense size of the Canadian north that lies beyond "civilization" was mind boggling. Following the great bear across the ice by dog team, when he eventually turned t make a stand, the pre-historic monster size of him, the dogs baying him, pulling off the caribou hair parka so I could shoot the bow and wondering if my bow was going to work at the extreme temps, backed up by the Inuit guide with a very rusty .303 Enfield with 180 grain soft-points, seeing the arrow hit perfectly at 30 yards....I'll never forget it. The guide and assistant skinned him entirely, paws and head included in 33 minutes. He had about 4" of fat over his body and wasn't the least bit starved. Every last bit of meat was utilized by the Inuits, and I got the hide and head. Fortunately living in BC I have the bear at my house and admire him everyday. Yes, hunting the big bears might be described as days of glassing and enjoying some of the wildest and most beautiful country in North America, followed up by a very intense hunt where the bear might win the battle if things go wrong.

I've hunted Mt Grizzlies (BC, 66 days over a 5 year period), Polar bear (Nunavut) and brown bear (Alaska) successfully with my bow. They all were great adventures and a bit hair raising...i.e. the grizzly shot was 13 yards and he ran past at 2 yards as he "escaped". Then the sow had to be spooked away from 15 yards. Took two days for the adrenaline to subside. The brown was taken at 12:40 AM...and it was barely light. The followup at good light in the morning was hairy in the alders. The polar was taken on day 11 (of a 10 day hunt) on Feb 23. (The sun came back the week prior after being gone for three months). Living at -40* (F or C) out on the polar ice over 100 km from any other people with two great Inuits in a 6'x9' tent and seeing how they survive, how much tougher they are to cold than I, how they utilize the dogs, hunting seals, how the foxes follow the bears for survival were all the experience of a lifetime. Seeing the immense size of the Canadian north that lies beyond "civilization" was mind boggling. Following the great bear across the ice by dog team, when he eventually turned t make a stand, the pre-historic monster size of him, the dogs baying him, pulling off the caribou hair parka so I could shoot the bow and wondering if my bow was going to work at the extreme temps, backed up by the Inuit guide with a very rusty .303 Enfield with 180 grain soft-points, seeing the arrow hit perfectly at 30 yards....I'll never forget it. The guide and assistant skinned him entirely, paws and head included in 33 minutes. He had about 4" of fat over his body and wasn't the least bit starved. Every last bit of meat was utilized by the Inuits, and I got the hide and head. Fortunately living in BC I have the bear at my house and admire him everyday. Yes, hunting the big bears might be described as days of glassing and enjoying some of the wildest and most beautiful country in North America, followed up by a very intense hunt where the bear might win the battle if things go wrong.

What a great post. Thank you Blockcaven. I hope some day to hunt the Polar Bear, but if I do it will be with a rifle :) Congratulations on your hunts and with a Bow, impressive !

April, I had to look up hunting Capercaillie in Sweden, as I had never even heard of it. I do hope someday to go on a real fox hunt . I looked that up earlier and found that all I need to do is get there and write a check as they offer all inclusive hunts. Room, board, as well as the horse . I might just try to do that one as I also love horse back riding. They have them ( fox hunting ) "somewhat" in Texas , the fences are different and they are "drags", not real foxes

Last edited:
Of the four, the only one that really peaks my interest is leopard, and in my opinion, the only challenging and sporting way is over bait. Getting a tom leopard on bait during daylight hours takes a perfect setup, patience and a good bit of luck. Know of two hunters who have tracked problem lions near Etosha in northern Namibia and both resulted in great stories but leopard is still the one I would most likely do.

Thank you for sharing these hunts with us. Hunting the white bear with a bow takes the hunt to a different level. congratulations. Congrats on the Grizzly and Brown as well, sounds like hunts that required a shot of bourbon after they were completed, congratulatory and to settle the nerves o_O. Sorry about the new Grizzly ban down your way, glad you got those hunts done before they shut it down. Anyway, great story, great hunts, thank you

No interest in hunting bears or big cats. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. To each their own, though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back