MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Lion, Leopard, Grizzly, Polar Bear

Panda Bear

Ben Lamb surprised me with his post on the Polar Bear thread, when he said he had no interest in hunting Lions Leopards, Grizzly or Polar's

I have hunted the Polar and Grizzly and would definitely like to hunt Lions. Maybe not Leopards, but definitely Lions. I think it would be a very exciting hunt--for me

but maybe others agree with Ben Lamb.

Would you hunt Lions, Leopards, Grizzly's and Polars if the opportunity presented itself ?

I would pass on the lion, leopard and polar bear. I’ve never seen one and the thought of shooting an animal I’ve never seen before seems weird to me. I don’t see a griz hunt in my future either simply based on the cost. If I lived in AK, I would probably shoot one and be done hunting them.

I just got back from a wonderful trip to the Brooks Range in Alaska where I got a beautiful boar grizzly bear! This had been a hunt I had dreamed about since I was about 10 years old and it did not disappoint! I am just thrilled to have gotten a bear and it was a once in a lifetime experience. I have never really had the intense desire to hunt Africa although it would be neat to do it, but a trip to Alaska or the northern part of Canada for grizzly bear, moose, sheep, goats, or something along those lines really does interest me. I am glad I did this hunt.

I don't know if it is familiarity or something else, but I would like to hunt North American predators (grizz, wolf, cougar) however I really have no desire to hunt lions or leopards. If I went to Africa there is a host of other big game animals I would prefer to hunt (gemsbok, kudu, black face impala).

I just got back from a wonderful trip to the Brooks Range in Alaska where I got a beautiful boar grizzly bear! This had been a hunt I had dreamed about since I was about 10 years old and it did not disappoint! I am just thrilled to have gotten a bear and it was a once in a lifetime experience. I have never really had the intense desire to hunt Africa although it would be neat to do it, but a trip to Alaska or the northern part of Canada for grizzly bear, moose, sheep, goats, or something along those lines really does interest me. I am glad I did this hunt.

Um, I haven't seen that post on the forum! Would love to hear about it if you want to share.

I am so glad you had an enjoyable and successful hunt. Both you and Guy had a successful trip and I hope you both come back soon.

I have been fortunate enough to have hunted Grizzly and Brown's , as well as Cougars (with hounds ) and truly enjoyed all three. So yes I would enjoy a Polar Bear, and Lion hunt. I would not hunt Leopards via a blind but would enjoy hunting them with hounds

So as long as there is a stable population and the population is being managed for long term sustainability. Go for it. My 10 y/o daughter wants to arrow a grizz. She Talks about it daily every since seeing that famous video of that guy doing it on Kodiak. Guess I gotta start saving for that hunt. Probably cost me more than college tuition. Lol..

This is a good discussion. We all hunt for various reasons, and I don't begrudge anyone an ethical, fair chase hunt. I love the old African writers who spent the golden years chasing the big 5, the stories from Patterson & Corbett who killed the maneaters, and I totally respect people who use the resource for sustainable living.

I just don't see the value in it for me, personally. If it's ethical and legal, then do your thing, and I'll mind my own business and celebrate your success. :)

Grizzly for sure, but under specific circumstances. Polar bear... not sure if you can really do a wilderness polar bear hunt even in Canada, plus bringing it home... I have no interest shooting a bear out of a blind outside a dump in Churchill or something like that.

No interest in lions or leopards... I get that Africa is massive, and hunting there is complicated and nuanced, but when someone mentions African lions this is the image that comes to mind and it's just tainted the idea for me. Would love to hunt a lion with dogs in the US.

1571936901994.png

This is kinda what I would want out of a polar bear hunt...

Last edited:
Yes, but not in the way that is typical now. I have no interest in sitting over a impala hanging in a tree. I would want to do a stalk hunt. Add the element of danger that is not there as much when you sit in a blind.

Bears, without a doubt I would hunt them. I want to hunt every animal that is possible for me to hunt.

I'd pass on them. I find great satisfaction hunting in the U.S. and eating primary consumers. My dream hunts would be in Alaska for moose or caribou.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pass on them. I find great satisfaction hunting in the U.S. and eating secondary consumers. My dream hunts would be in Alaska for moose or caribou.

One generally thinks of moose and caribou as primary consumers. I apologize for not letting that pass, but hey, I'm just doing what I have to do.

"Primary predator" is sometimes used in place of "secondary consumer," although the latter is more accurate.

Quiz on Monday... :(

If I was going on a hunt in alaska for say moose or caribou and the option was there to hunt a griz to I would, but I wouldnt plan a trip specifically for griz.

The others are sweet, but not for me. I love reading stories of the African cat hunts and all just no desire to hunt them.

Polar bears are to cuddly and drink coca-cola so I'd pass on them also. 😋 in all seriousness tho a polar bear is one I would have to mull over for awhile. But I'm leaning towards a pass on them to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back