Caribou Gear Tarp

Lion Hunter's Nightmare

Last week after my wife and I took out the stitches and staples.

Attachments

• 20201222_143305.jpg
    20201222_143305.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
Probably not a great sight to see it split there? Could restaple? My lord hounds are freaking incredible and insanely tough.

Probably not a great sight to see it split there? Could restaple? My lord hounds are freaking incredible and insanely tough.
The split has since healed (this past week). It was really tough to keep the intersection of those skin pieces together. It had to get stapled over the stitches after about a week. The original tear was a triangle with two 10 inch sides opening to a 5 inch base on the bottom. That entire piece was cut off so they really had to stretch the skin to get it together.

Have a lion question for you. Years ago I was elk hunting in Montana. I walked up over the top of a bare hilltop. On the other side was a small clump of lodgepole about 60 yards in front of me. All of a sudden all hell broke loose. 4 lions busted out of that little timber patch. 2 adults and 2 half grown young. One adult looked like a normal tan colored female. The other one was gray colored and looked like it had been taking steroids. A lot bigger and alot more muscular, I mean it was huge. To me it looked like a mature tom. Question is I thought an adult female won't allow an adult male near her little ones? After they left I went down to look at their tracks and jumped a cow and calf elk out of that same little patch of trees. Also found another kitten track from one that had ran out another direction. So there was 5 lions together, 2 adults and 3 young of the year, probably surrounding that cow and calf. I just happened to screw up their dinner plan. Have you ever seen or heard of that many together? This was in November in Hellgate gulch in the Big Belt mountains. An uncle and cousin were walking with me and we all couldn't believe what we just saw. Your thoughts?

Have a lion question for you. Years ago I was elk hunting in Montana. I walked up over the top of a bare hilltop. On the other side was a small clump of lodgepole about 60 yards in front of me. All of a sudden all hell broke loose. 4 lions busted out of that little timber patch. 2 adults and 2 half grown young. One adult looked like a normal tan colored female. The other one was gray colored and looked like it had been taking steroids. A lot bigger and alot more muscular, I mean it was huge. To me it looked like a mature tom. Question is I thought an adult female won't allow an adult male near her little ones? After they left I went down to look at their tracks and jumped a cow and calf elk out of that same little patch of trees. Also found another kitten track from one that had ran out another direction. So there was 5 lions together, 2 adults and 3 young of the year, probably surrounding that cow and calf. I just happened to screw up their dinner plan. Have you ever seen or heard of that many together? This was in November in Hellgate gulch in the Big Belt mountains. An uncle and cousin were walking with me and we all couldn't believe what we just saw. Your thoughts?
Neat experience for sure. Tough to know. The biggest could have been mom with the second biggest a larger subadult. It could have been a tom, perhaps if she was just about to kick the subadults away.

I have cut 3 subadults and a mom multiple times and caught 4-5 groups of 4. I once cut a mom with 4 subadults but did not tree them.

Hard to know for sure. They don't really run in prides, and I would say that the female would not have any say if a big tom wanted to be around for whatever reason. As far as brown and gray, that is common. In SE Idaho we get mostly buckskin cats with a few grays. Go 50 miles north and it is a mix. Go toward central Idaho and alot of the cats are the gray color. Really noticed it when I went to the taxidermist to get a tom about 9 years ago and he had about 10 lions in various stages and they look really different next to one another.

Last edited:
20201230_105816.jpg
Spike back in the hills yesterday. Took a six mile walk and only found old tracks, but he seemed pretty energetic and back to himself. My oldest kid turned 10 today and now has a lion tag in her pocket so hopefully Spike can put one up for her.

The little walker hound behind him always looks that weird. She is just a weird dog.

While pheasant hunting last year with a good friend his dog had something similar happen as well. It wasn’t as devastating as your experience but we believe it was barbed wire. We didn’t see the 6 to 8 inch wound until later that evening after returning from the hunt. Hope your dog fully recovers.

Glad He's going to be ok! Its always an uneasy feeling carrying your dog out.

Dogs are just awesome. I’ve had the pleasure to own and work with many working dogs with many different skil sets. Cow dogs, hog dogs, retrievers, bomb dogs, and tackers of men, all kinds and feel privileged to have worked with each one. Once trained for a task, they will give up their own lives to complete that task. Its amazing and deserves respect. The more I deal with dogs, the less I like people.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back