Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lion hunt in February

mrcowboy

Lion hunt with the neighbors. I had the great opportunity to run around NM the last two weekends with my neighbors and their hounds. I wasn’t certain what to expect as I’ve never hunted cats but had a fantastic time. The first weekend of hunting was dry ground and second weekend of hunting there was some snow. Saw lots of elk and was able to harvest a nice tom with my bow. The tom was most likely in the area due to abundance of game. Lots of miles on the boots. Very thankful for some great neighbors. Never imaged that I’d shoot a lion, let alone with my bow. Wow. What a day. Now in searching of recipes.

Attachments

• output_image1676953580920.jpg
    output_image1676953580920.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 65
  • output_image1676953082861.jpg
    output_image1676953082861.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 65
For ur recipes….I’ve been digging through all my notes but can’t find the exact ratios, so everything is to taste and Wtvr basic “sausage” ratio on salt/cure u use.
My grandson shot a bobcat a few years ago n while skinning it, I got curious…
My buddy in Montana runs dogs n always says how tasty lion it, the meat on the bobcat looked great, so I fried a piece up….outstanding, kind of like veal
So I experimented w a “bobcat piccata sausage” which I think would crossover w lion
Add around 10% fatty pork (belly) to ur meat
Salt, cure, pepper, Chile flake, garlic cloves, capers, lemon zest, good olive oil
Turned out great….will keep looking for my ratios for u….but just doing to taste will work w a basic sausage ratio

For ur recipes….I’ve been digging through all my notes but can’t find the exact ratios, so everything is to taste and Wtvr basic “sausage” ratio on salt/cure u use.
My grandson shot a bobcat a few years ago n while skinning it, I got curious…
My buddy in Montana runs dogs n always says how tasty lion it, the meat on the bobcat looked great, so I fried a piece up….outstanding, kind of like veal
So I experimented w a “bobcat piccata sausage” which I think would crossover w lion
Add around 10% fatty pork (belly) to ur meat
Salt, cure, pepper, Chile flake, garlic cloves, capers, lemon zest, good olive oil
Turned out great….will keep looking for my ratios for u….but just doing to taste will work w a basic sausage ratio
I will be making some sausage from the quarters. Cooked backstrap with just salt and pepper on Saturday night for few friends. One friend brought along his new girlfriend. Her face took a weird twist when said what we were grilling for dinner. End result was all smiles and the remark "I can't believe that was mt lion".

How long of race was it? Was it all snow covered. Looks like a fun hunt!
About 10 miles total. All north slopes were about knee deep snow. South facing areas much less. Lot of fun. I was beat the next day. I will hopefully do this hunt again someday. The wife still can't believe how great the back straps tasted.

Back