Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Lighted Reticle Scope

Not had your coffee yet? A bit tissy to start the day... relax.
Last I recall any electronic devise attached to a firearm or archery for hunting big game purpose is not legal in MT. If not the case. Good to hear. Now, ill certainly look it up as you've not quoted regs that state otherwise. Thanks for the heads up it may be legal in MT.
Just the facts.... From the Idaho IDFG FAQ. Their answer is a quote from the Big Game reg pamphlet. Page 100 in the 2020 2nd edition. )
(There is an old answer out there from 2006 that says it is illegal. The header on the FAQ page warns patrons to search for the newest info. )

Q: Tritium powered devices

Why is it legal to have a tritium powered scope on a rifle but not on an archery sight on a bow?
Illegal to use..
Rifle & Shotgun... "With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated
on, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery
powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."
Archery... "With any electronic or tritium-powered device attached
to an arrow, bolt or bow. Except disabled archery permit
holders may use a non magnifying sight with battery
powered or tritium lighted reticles.

A:

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission support equipment regulations for archery and muzzleloader equipment that are consistent with the primitive nature of the weapons.

answered 2/16/2015

Though I've not used them, the Nikon X1000 has illuminated crosshair options, but they all have Mil/MOA hash marks.
Are these still made? I love the cheap Nikon on my Trophy Hunter XP, but every X1000 I've looked up came up "discontinued".

I have an Athlon scope that is FFP without the lighted reticle I couldn't see the crosshairs at 2.5X. It's a Gen 1 Aries scope but so far I like it for what it's used for but exposed turrets may not be wise for a young hunter.

To the OP: I think Midway USA has a search function for lighted reticle scopes. It seems you're looking for an entry level optic. My suggestion would be get a scope with adjustable brightness and read a ton of reviews. Reach out to @schmalts to see if he has something that would fit the bill.

I know nothing of the scope but what about the Athlon Neos?
I'll try searching on Midway. Both Amazon and Optics Planet are horrible for scope searches. They both include non-lighted reticles and exclude lighted reticles. I hope Midway's system works better.

You're also (kinda) right about "entry level optic". I'm certainly not looking in the $1,000 and above range. A cheap 3-9x (which you can find everywhere) with an added lighted crosshair is what I need. Why they discontinued the Bushnell is beyond me. Same with Leupold - their site is awful. Click on a nice reticle, and you'll see six scopes, all discontinued.

I own two Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18 x 44 scopes. They're more scope than I need, but I love the crosshair reticle. It may seem gaudy, but keep it on low light and it makes an awesome cub slaying device.

This one for the Bear's cousin is also discontinued...

What is your concern? Temperature affecting battery performance?
I err'd. I thought electric devices were not allowed on a firearm for hunting big game in MT and was not sure where you lived or hunted. As you can see and I found shortly after, I was incorrect. :)

Like others I wish I could get one or two more Leupold VX-R's. Mine is a 3x9 with the multi-firedot reticle. 3 dots, one at the center and another at each subtension on the lower vertical crosshair. It came in handy on a bull elk at 350 yds with only 15 min of legal shooting light left. There doesn't seem be be anything comparable made, even in the high end scopes. Just a center dot is not nearly as useful but would still come in really handy hunting bear over bait in the dark timber when your black crosshairs disappear on a black hide.

If you're wanting a budget optic with illuminated reticles take a look at Primary Arms. I have one on my 308, good for the price. They have a bunch of different reticle styles, so you may have to search for some less "busy" ones.

If you're wanting a budget optic with illuminated reticles take a look at Primary Arms. I have one on my 308, good for the price. They have a bunch of different reticle styles, so you may have to search for some less "busy" ones.
Thanks. I'll give them a look, especially if its working on your .308. I worry about the unfamiliar brands when it comes to recoil.

Ok folks, if anybody still cares, I bought the Athlon Neos 3x9x40" lighted reticle scope. I thank you all for the help - I might not have found this otherwise.

I almost bought the Hawke scope, but after downloading the drawings I came to learn that it was too short for the mounts I presently have. I didn't want to use a rail as it would block part of the top opening.

I haven't looked through the Neos but the Ares and Cronus scopes I got my hands on were nice. Think their warranty is about the same as Vortex.

On the Nikon comments - yep, they're getting completely out of the game. When they run out of components they won't service their scopes anymore, either.

I haven't looked through the Neos but the Ares and Cronus scopes I got my hands on were nice. Think their warranty is about the same as Vortex.

On the Nikon comments - yep, they're getting completely out of the game. When they run out of components they won't service their scopes anymore, either.
I own several Nikon scopes, 3 pairs of binos, and a rangefinder. When I learned of their exiting the scope market, I contacted Nikon customer service and inquired about warranty work. All of my scopes are older than 2 years. I was told that the lifetime warranty would be honored as far as service work or replacement and that no receipt was needed. I was also told that all of their current inventory would only carry a 2 year limited warranty. Take it for what’s it worth, but that’s what they told me. I hope I never have to find out. I love Nikon optics and hate it that they’re no longer in the scope business. I’ve never had trouble with any of their optics. I’ve recently purchased a new X Bolt and will likely go with Leupold for it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back