Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Light arrows

A-con

Does anyone shoot a light (under 400 grains) arrow for elk ?

I've been doing some shooting and broad tuning and my "elk" arrow, a 427 grain GT .340, just won't tune for my new bow. I was warned that the bow likes soft spine arrows.

I got a dz CT/WT .400s that tune and shoot good, the problem is they only weigh 372 grains.

I'll be pushing the light arrow around 280 FPS, and shooting a small head.

I have never shot an elk but I have been shooting midwest whitetails with a 50# bow and arrow weighing right around 300gr with a mechanical head for years now and have not had any problems if that helps at all.

I personally wouldn't shoot an elk with an arrow weighing less than 400gr. There are guys who do and seem to do just fine, I just prefer a bit more weight. Elk are a quite a bit different critter than a whitetail. JMHO.

I recently opened this giant can of worms myself. I was shooting CX Maxima hunters 350@ 29 inches with 100gr heads; I think they were around 380-390gr or so. They flew fine and killed everything they hit. I watched my brother shoot several critters with them, even a bull elk and he was down in 30 seconds. I have not shot an elk with them myself, just lighter animals.

For some insane reason I decided they were to light. Bought some Easton FMJ and they come in @ 460gr or so finished. They fly great. Definitely are quieter out of my bow, way quieter. I just hate Easton POS nocks. Out of the 6, 3 of them have already come off or broke.

Yesterday I fletched up a few CX Pile Driver Hunters 350. They should also be 460+ finished. We’ll see tomorrow how they shoot. 29 inches and 78lbs should be plenty of energy and hopefully quiet.

Not sure what my point is. It just seems to me I remember hitting critters with xx78 2315s and they felt it. I swear 1 bull even staggered at the hit. I have been having an idiot 24hourcampfire’ish argument in my head about this and seems to be a losing and expensive battle. If you read Bowsite enough, the general consensus is for elk 450gr is light, and 400gr is way to light.

But, I would say a light arrow that is shooting absolutely tuned will way out perform a heavy arrow shooting sideways, any day.

Archery always seems to be 90% mental anyway. Glad I could confuse the subject even more!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully I can get some one else to stimulate the economy with arrow purchases.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. As long as the arrow tunes and shoots well it will pentetrate fine. If you feel it neccessary to use a heavier arrow there are plenty to pick from in the 400 spine. I am personally shooting the axis in-fused arrows with great results.

The biggest thing you will be giving up is down range KE with a lighter arrow. I do feel if you have a marginal hit finding bone or heavy muscle the heavy arrow may give you a touch more penetration but with the few grains you are looking for not sure you will see a big difference.

I had a buddy that the only thing he could get to fly with fixed blade heads before a moose hunt was Carbon express 200s with 125 Rocky mountain titianium. At 25 yards he had a complete pass through.

I got a dz CT/WT .400s that tune and shoot good, the problem is they only weigh 372 grains.

I'll be pushing the light arrow around 280 FPS, and shooting a small head.

I think you'll be just fine.

Dinkshooter said:
Yesterday I fletched up a few CX Pile Driver Hunters 350. They should also be 460+ finished. We’ll see tomorrow how they shoot. 29 inches and 78lbs should be plenty of energy and hopefully quiet.

That's a cow-bluntin' special, Tex!

I did a lot of reading on this very subject and just switched to a heavier setup for elk. I am shooting a Mathews Z7 set at 70lbs with Easton 400 FMJ and 125gr Slick Tricks. The arrows will come in at 425gr versus the 375 I shoot on whitetails. The long story short is a lighter setup will work great as long as you don't hit bone end or up with an off angle impact. You could end up with problems if things don't work perfect. My theory is why take chances and give yourself the best opportunity. Shoot a heavier arrow...
You might want to check bowsite.com and search the subject further. Good luck.

I'm a regular on Bowsite, just trying to avoid spending another $hundred or more on new arrows.
Just tapped myself out on a new bow W/ all the fixins

372 times 280 squared divided by 450435 is 64.7
So your kentic energy is 64.7....what ever that means and I'm sure there are some ranges posted for what one some people think is a good elk range. (over 60 on KE)

Heck, All I can say is that if elk are hit right they are big babies. When it is a bad shot they are the most die hard critters.

Your arrows are moving at good ramming speed.

30 yards fixed broadheads. Of course this ended up ripping out a insert and had to dig the broadhead out of the target.

A wrap doesn't seem to change the arrow flight much.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentkkk.jpg
    GetAttachmentkkk.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 441

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back