Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lifetime Licenses

No idea where you got this understanding from. I have lifetime from Indiana and live in MI, Indiana could care less what I am doing outside their state. I have been hunting IN since 2000's off lifetime hunting comprehensive license as a NR. I am resident of MI and they could care less as well as long as I am a resident. Once you have a lifetime license, your residency in another state is irrelevant. That is the huge benefit of having a lifetime license as a NR. This is not a driver's license!
The way I read this from CO FW page having a lifetime license from another state you would be applying for, purchasing or accepting a resident license from another state thus making you not a CO resident. Screenshot_20221231_195243_Chrome.jpg

Edit: While not as clearly define IMO as CO if your residency was reversed and you had a MI lifetime "resident" license you might not be able to claim IN residency either..
Screenshot_20221231_220417_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
An Indiana comprehensive hunting lifetime license exempts you from this and language includes "valid even if you are no longer a resident". That is one of the additional benefits of having a lifetime license.

A lifetime license does not affect your residency status once you leave the State of Indiana nor does it affect your residency in another state. Its my understanding every Lifetime License has this language. For example, NYS, Kansas, has same language.

You are not applying for a hunting license, you already have a valid hunting license forever irregardless of your residency.

The language you are highlighting is for "annual license" and does not apply to a lifetime license.

My son got his Texas lifetime license when he was 2 weeks old. The price was going from $600 to $1,000 so it made sense to get him one that early.

One of the big reasons to me to get the lifetime license is that it is good for life even if he moves out of state and becomes a nonresident. Of course as I get closer to retirement I'm thinking I may end up being the one moving out of state instead of him.
It seems like it would probably take a while to break even(assuming price increases aren’t big) and I have plenty of more pressing financial obligations, BUT I have always figured the first thing I would do if I ever moved would be to go buy the lifetime license!!! It doesn’t take long at all to break even at NR prices. Looking at it now though, perhaps I should make it a slightly higher priority. If I ever move, I might be slightly more pressed for cash than I am today.

Frankly I wish I had looked for work in a new state each year before I had kids so that I could stack up a few lifetime licenses in various states at the resident price.

Last edited:
The way I read this from CO FW page having a lifetime license from another state you would be applying for, purchasing or accepting a resident license from another state thus making you not a CO resident. View attachment 258592

Edit: While not as clearly define IMO as CO if your residency was reversed and you had a MI lifetime "resident" license you might not be able to claim IN residency either..
View attachment 258621
I think you missed it. Having a lifetime license in a state that leaves you in the resident pool, is not the same thing as purchasing a resident license in another state. I’m 99.99999999999% certain that CO doesn’t care if you purchased a lifetime license in another state when you resided there, even if it gives certain resident privileges. The only reason this is a rule is to prevent people from cheating. If a certain state confers certain resident privileges to lifetime license holders, that is not cheating. CPW doesn’t care about that.

I would be surprised if TPWD even has a means by which you can forfeit your lifetime license.

I think you missed it. Having a lifetime license in a state that leaves you in the resident pool, is not the same thing as purchasing a resident license in another state. I’m 99.99999999999% certain that CO doesn’t care if you purchased a lifetime license in another state when you resided there, even if it gives certain resident privileges.
Ok I have resided in the same state so don't have a need for a lifetime license. Do you get a license at resident prices if you have a lifetime resident license in another state?

If you do I think this would constitute applying for or getting a resident license? I could very well.be mistaken. Would be a question I would want to call CO or any other state on.

Thanks for clarifying though

An Indiana comprehensive hunting lifetime license exempts you from this and language includes "valid even if you are no longer a resident". That is one of the additional benefits of having a lifetime license.

A lifetime license does not affect your residency status once you leave the State of Indiana nor does it affect your residency in another state. Its my understanding every Lifetime License has this language. For example, NYS, Kansas, has same language.

You are not applying for a hunting license, you already have a valid hunting license forever irregardless of your residency.

The language you are highlighting is for "annual license" and does not apply to a lifetime license.
I get that about what a lifetime license is and how the issuing state words it.

What I was I highlighting is that the way I read it ( atleast enough I would need to call the states agency) is that if you are getting a resident license whether it bc you live there or have a lifetime "resident" license you wouldn't be able to get a resident license from CO or IN. I could be wrong and if it was me I would 100% need to call the state I was moving to in order to see if I would qualify as a resident.

Ok I have resided in the same state so don't have a need for a lifetime license. Do you get a license at resident prices if you have a lifetime resident license in another state?

If you do I think this would constitute applying for or getting a resident license? I could very well.be mistaken. Would be a question I would want to call CO or any other state on.

In TX you either have a license or you don’t. You license comes with every possible tag on it. In their very crappy draws, they don’t account for residency. If you buy a lifetime license and then move, you don’t owe them any money. No way on planet earth CPW cares that after you moved from TX you can hunt there without paying again for a license.

In AZ if you buy a lifetime resident license, and then move to another state, you go in the resident pool for draws, but you pay non-resident price if drawn. I’m 90% sure on that. Might be wrong.

In neither AZ nor TX do you claim to be a TX or AZ resident when exercising your lifetime license privileges.

CPW doesn’t care that some other state gave you a discount. CPW only cares that you’re actually a resident. If you’re claiming a resident only privilege in some other state, then you’re cheating one of the two states. On the other hand, if you’re claiming a privilege that another state lawfully confers to lifetime license holders who move away, then you’re not cheating anyone and I HIGHLY DOUBT that CPW gives a rip.

Last edited:
I get that about what a lifetime license is and how the issuing state words it.

What I was I highlighting is that the way I read it ( atleast enough I would need to call the states agency) is that if you are getting a resident license whether it bc you live there or have a lifetime "resident" license you wouldn't be able to get a resident license from CO or IN. I could be wrong and if it was me I would 100% need to call the state I was moving to in order to see if I would qualify as a resident.
The thing you quoted doesn’t say “lifetime ‘resident’ license”.

Calls are nice but I would absolutely require any legal interpretation in writing from an agent of the state to be legal.

My understanding is if you are a resident of AZ and buy the Lifetime AZ Hunting License then even if you leave AZ to become a resident in another state that AZ still allows you to apply in the much larger AZ resident draw pool so much better drawing odds though if draw then you pay Nonresident fee for the application and the tag. I have owned a vacation home in AZ for over a decade and once I retire to AZ will buy the lifetime hunting license since I plan on a long, long life plus it is for the wildlife, am I right?

This what CPW replied to me when I inquired about this lifetime license issue back in May. The key is if you hold a valid Resident license in another state.
Screenshot 2023-01-04 162918 copy.jpg

The lifetime CO habitat stamp seems a little useless. I’m sure it’ll pay for itself but I don’t think it’s anything to get excited about.

There are some great deals in some states. For example, my parents still live in GA and my kids will definitely [hopefully] go hunting with grandad throughout their lives. A lifetime sportsmans license for a nonresident infant is only $500. That pays for itself in less than 2 years since an annual nonresident sportsmans license is $400.
Similar deal here, my son lives in a different state, but I'm probably never leaving GA and I'll definitely never stop hunting... Hoping to buy him one in the next year or two while he's still a young whippersnapper

Similar deal here, my son lives in a different state, but I'm probably never leaving GA and I'll definitely never stop hunting... Hoping to buy him one in the next year or two while he's still a young whippersnapper
Gotta do it before he turns 2 years old for the best deal!

This what CPW replied to me when I inquired about this lifetime license issue back in May. The key is if you hold a valid Resident license in another state.
View attachment 259207
So if this is the case directly from CPW than I am correct in the way I read it; and by having a lifetime RESIDENT license (In another state) you are obtaining a RESIDENT license thus making you unable to say you are a CO license?

I can see a loop hole maybe. If say you had a Texas lifetime licenses and do not get it printed out then you technically are not holding a valid hunting license.
Do they check, I would not take that chance but have no way of knowing for sure.

I called the CPW licensing dept today just for the heck of it. I got the exact opposite answer. I went into detail explaining how the lifetime license works and even explained that you must be a resident of said state when you purchase it. The guy on the phone said it would be no issue at all as long as you're no longer claiming residency there and had established 6 months of residency in CO.

I wonder what was your wording when asking in your email? Did you ask if you hold a lifetime license or a "resident" lifetime license? I'll bet Bradley from CPW has no clue how lifetime licenses even work.

I know in AL you have to be a resident to purchase a lifetime license. It gives you hunting privileges for life even if you move to another state but if you do that and want to add privileges above the base license, then you must pay NR prices. Same for AZ: you can hunt small game for life but if you put in the draw or buy an OTC license then you pay NR prices.

I don't know of a single state where you buy and hold a resident lifetime license. It's a resident lifetime license if you live there and a NR lifetime license when you move away.

I called the CPW licensing dept today just for the heck of it. I got the exact opposite answer. I went into detail explaining how the lifetime license works and even explained that you must be a resident of said state when you purchase it. The guy on the phone said it would be no issue at all as long as you're no longer claiming residency there and had established 6 months of residency in CO.

I wonder what was your wording when asking in your email? Did you ask if you hold a lifetime license or a "resident" lifetime license? I'll bet Bradley from CPW has no clue how lifetime licenses even work.

I know in AL you have to be a resident to purchase a lifetime license. It gives you hunting privileges for life even if you move to another state but if you do that and want to add privileges above the base license, then you must pay NR prices. Same for AZ: you can hunt small game for life but if you put in the draw or buy an OTC license then you pay NR prices.

I don't know of a single state where you buy and hold a resident lifetime license. It's a resident lifetime license if you live there and a NR lifetime license when you move away.
I love our Parks & Wildlife, almost impossible to get the same answer twice! I think your guy got it right, it’s residency that the state is concerned with, not what other states you hold licenses (lifetime of otherwise).

Although I must say this thread did not go the way I anticipated. I was hoping more of the number crunchers would chime in…

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back