Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Lifetime Licenses

Matt Dworak

Curious to get everyone’s take on lifetime licenses. I’m thinking of grabbing my boys a Colorado liftetime habitat stamp for Christmas. I’m kinda a math guy and a frugal one at that, license is $318.08 and my boys are 14 & 16. It’s looking like I’ve done a good job parenting and both boys love the outdoors (hunting & fishing). I myself have the Colorado stamp and a Nebraska lifetime hunt/fish/habitat and to be honest I just love them for the convenience, regardless of cost. Thoughts?

The lifetime CO habitat stamp seems a little useless. I’m sure it’ll pay for itself but I don’t think it’s anything to get excited about.

There are some great deals in some states. For example, my parents still live in GA and my kids will definitely [hopefully] go hunting with grandad throughout their lives. A lifetime sportsmans license for a nonresident infant is only $500. That pays for itself in less than 2 years since an annual nonresident sportsmans license is $400.

Last edited:
My son got his Texas lifetime license when he was 2 weeks old. The price was going from $600 to $1,000 so it made sense to get him one that early.

One of the big reasons to me to get the lifetime license is that it is good for life even if he moves out of state and becomes a nonresident. Of course as I get closer to retirement I'm thinking I may end up being the one moving out of state instead of him.

The lifetime CO habitat stamp seems a little useless. I’m sure it’ll pay for itself but I don’t think it’s anything to get excited about.

There are some great deals in some states. For example, my parents still live in GA and my kids will definitely [hopefully] go hunting with grandad throughout their lives. A lifetime sportsmans license for a nonresident infant is only $500. That pays for itself in less than 2 years since an annual nonresident sportsmans license is $400.
I agree that’s it not terribly exciting but you need it to do about anything in Colorado. Small game, fish, apply for big game, etc. I wish CO offered lifetime hunt/fish and agree that would be more appealing.

I bought my lifetime license in Oklahoma in about 1992. Even though I’ve moved away I can fish or hunt when I get back to see family and friends, without sweating licensing.

Next to a divorce lawyer, might be some of the best money I spent.

Got my Kansas lifetime license as a birthday gift at 16, best present ever. I no longer live in Kansas but can get tags as a resident and apply for the elk/antelope drawings. Some states it is a really good deal (especially if you get them while young), others seem to not give quite as much value (Missouri it's a lifetime small game license, does not apply towards deer/turkey tags).

I have a New York license and makes it nice to not have to mess with getting a tag and cost isn't ever an issue especially having to pay non resident fees. Actually it becomes a selling point for going on trip because already paid for tag so it would be wasteful not to go hunting. It was a really good thing for my dad to take me in the outdoors and getting a lifetime tag just has made it so much easier to continue recreating in NY since moving away. I really appreciate all he did in this.

I bought a lifetime hunting and fishing license in West Virginia in 1992 for $300. It is a great investment, I only make it back home to h7nt every couple of years, but a nonresident license would cost me over $125 so in the last 30 years I have probably saved $1500 in license fees

I purchased a lifetime fishing license for myself and my wife before we left MN. (2006) I also purchased a lifetime MN archery deer license.
Has my wife realized the value of the fishing license? No. But every few years, she does use it. That freedom also has value.

For myself, I take great satisfaction going into the sporting goods store and not pulling out the plastic! (It also helps that I live less than 5 miles from MN)

If you move to Colorado you will have to give up your lifetime license to get Resident status for hunting.
What?!

If a lifetime license for some other state happens to put you in the resident draw pool that’s not at all the same thing as claiming that you’re a resident of two different states.

If that really is the rule it’s a crappy one.

If you move to Colorado you will have to give up your lifetime license to get Resident status for hunting.
No idea where you got this understanding from. I have lifetime from Indiana and live in MI, Indiana could care less what I am doing outside their state. I have been hunting IN since 2000's off lifetime hunting comprehensive license as a NR. I am resident of MI and they could care less as well as long as I am a resident. Once you have a lifetime license, your residency in another state is irrelevant. That is the huge benefit of having a lifetime license as a NR. This is not a driver's license!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back