Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I’m a cheapskate but once I can afford it yes

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • You’re an elitist <blank> for asking the question

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Having a book made on my guns. It will take months to complete, but most are nice or old guns. There are a few utilitarian guns among the collection, but I find the most satisfaction with the nicer guns.

I have a few pages completed and the photographer is doing an outstanding job of layout and photography. It should be a real nice book when completed...

A7D531D5-8DBF-433F-AA37-55C5D0F67B37.png0AED7F8C-376A-480A-BDE9-BF6B8F32BF87.pngE9B782AB-D102-474B-A2C2-E0D7FAA528FB.png90BF5146-CB0B-4794-8868-BFA9B7BCB400.pngAE426A6B-8B50-4E53-8083-38A94C550584.png

For me a gun is a tool first. I don’t want to carry something around I’d be worried about. I appreciate the nicer ones but I would have to have a lot more money than I do now to spend money on strictly cosmetic upgrades.

Don’t much care what they look like but care a lot about how they function. Have a safe full and the only wood is on a laminated stocked 22.

I wouldn’t be excited to use shitty guns though (like the savage axis mentioned in the OP) even acknowledging it’s unlikely said cheap gun would impact my success.

More interested in the thought process. ---- how do you weigh the aesthetics of how we do what we do

Although synthetics showed up in the 1960's in was not until Weatherby came out with the Fibermark in the 1980's that it really took off and every manufacturer jumped on board. By that time I had been hunting for 40 years, and to me they ( synthetics ) did not feel ( or look ) right.

I have always preferred quality over quantity, so my preference was to have a few really nice ones that FIT me. I am guessing but I would bet in my adult years I have done 90% of my hunting with only 4 different caliber rifles and one shotgun. My husband on the other hand wanted every caliber and action, but he also preferred wood, but he was even older than I was. It was what we knew.

I don’t know. Right now for example, I shoot almost everything feathered with my Beretta A400. It’s camo, and ugly as hell. But after struggling for years with all kinds of shotguns that just didn’t fit right, I will 100% take an ugly gun that I shoot very well over a pretty one that I am mediocre with.
. Fit is so important. That was why I liked the four rifles and one shotgun, they were all made to fit me, "Fit" is important to both sexes but possibly even a bit more so for females. Hunting Wife found a shotgun that fit and worked for her. If its not broke dont fix it.

I will guarantee you that Hunting Wife and I could hunt all day and then have dinner together while sharing stories of our family and past hunting adventures, while sipping some of her home made wine and listening to some Sinatra tunes without either of us caring about what each others shotguns cost.

short answer: Wood for me

Although synthetics showed up in the 1960's in was not until Weatherby came out with the Fibermark in the 1980's that it really took off and every manufacturer jumped on board. By that time I had been hunting for 40 years, and to me they ( synthetics ) did not feel ( or look ) right.

I have always preferred quality over quantity, so my preference was to have a few really nice ones that FIT me. I am guessing but I would bet in my adult years I have done 90% of my hunting with only 4 different caliber rifles and one shotgun. My husband on the other hand wanted every caliber and action, but he also preferred wood, but he was even older than I was. It was what we knew.

. Fit is so important. That was why I liked the four rifles and one shotgun, they were all made to fit me, "Fit" is important to both sexes but possibly even a bit more so for females. Hunting Wife found a shotgun that fit and worked for her. If its not broke dont fix it.

I will guarantee you that Hunting Wife and I could hunt all day and then have dinner together while sharing stories of our family and past hunting adventures, while sipping some of her home made wine and listening to some Sinatra tunes without either of us caring about what each others shotguns cost.

A little homemade wine, and we’ll be singing the Sinatra tunes and have forgotten all about the shotguns. 😁 🍷

Having a book made on my guns. It will take months to complete, but most are nice or old guns. There are a few utilitarian guns among the collection, but I find the most satisfaction with the nicer guns.

I have a few pages completed and the photographer is doing an outstanding job of layout and photography. It should be a real nice book when completed...

View attachment 197452View attachment 197453View attachment 197454View attachment 197455View attachment 197456
On that webley Damascus what ammo are you shooting? Or is it sleeved?

I prefer function over looks but my rifle builder that’s doing my next build (in 28 Nosler) suggests this stock. I will admit I’m hesitating because I’m an old fart and this just looks more “tactical” than for hunting. I think I’ll go along with it though because he’s usually right. D76E0117-886C-4950-8ADB-A8131588E0D4.png

I prefer function over looks but my rifle builder that’s doing my next build (in 28 Nosler) suggests this stock. I will admit I’m hesitating because I’m an old fart and this just looks more “tactical” than for hunting. I think I’ll go along with it though because he’s usually right.

I would encourage you to go with a stock design that you like. Lots of good options out there that will fit the bill if not wanting a chasis stock. That's the best part about building a rifle, you can pick what components you want. I would think as long at it is one of the quality stocks out there your smith would be fine with it. At the end of the day you are the one paying the bill and are the one that is going to have to look at it after the build is long over.

April makes a good point about how different generations react to wood/plastic

My grandfather is like April, wood only. My dad likes both but probably prefers wood. And I am definitely either/or. If I am spending my grandfather or fathers money, I would be more inclined to consider wood. But if it is my money being spend, then it will be plastic. ;) I actually prefer the lighter rifle, less maintain time, and of course viewer dollars to purchase. My achilleas heel is horses and tack. A basic saddle vs a pretty saddle that will do exactly the same thing the basic saddle will do. I will buy the pretty saddle every time. Like Brent and his love for old rifles, John, female midgets, Ken, guitars, April, sports cars, Hunting wife, wine, Panda, dogs, Pat, 22 Hornet ( this may be the strangest one ) :):)

I prefer function over looks but my rifle builder that’s doing my next build (in 28 Nosler) suggests this stock. I will admit I’m hesitating because I’m an old fart and this just looks more “tactical” than for hunting. I think I’ll go along with it though because he’s usually right.

If his/her looks bother you when you're dating, marrying rarely helps. :)

I bought my first synthetic stocked stainless rifle in 1995. I remember taking it hunting and everyone wanted to look at it. They just weren't that common yet. It was a ruger 77 mkII with the paddle stock. Still have it. Great rifle.

I will and do hunt with old guns, new guns, and some ugly guns. I live in Alaska so I choose function over form every time. Synthetic stocks have an edge here because it is hard to protect the wood while you are hunting mostly out of a boat or ATV. I love wooden stocks and there are plenty of them in my safe but synthetic stocks are the best for hunting in my humble old opnion.

I just purchased 10 12 quarter, 8x10s tight curly maple boards and thinking of making some beautiful gun stocks for myself along with a few nearly burl walnut and a few exotic burls to see what kind of stocks they may hold.
Beautiful engraving are a nice add to a gun but the wood has to be there for me.
The only reason I did this painting of walnut and puppy was because of the stock.
But curly maple is still tops.

Attachments

• 20131127_195634.jpg
    20131127_195634.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 4
I just purchased 10 12 quarter, 8x10s tight curly maple boards and thinking of making some beautiful gun stocks for myself along with a few nearly burl walnut and a few exotic burls to see what kind of stocks they may hold.
Beautiful engraving are a nice add to a gun but the wood has to be there for me.
The only reason I did this painting of walnut and puppy was because of the stock.
^^wins Internet

I remember that painting MD...that one and the loons are fantastic.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back