Lever Action for Pronghorn

LittleBill

Have any of you ever used or considered using a lever action while pronghorn hunting? I know the chamberings (aside from using a BLR) can create a bit of a handicap, but people kill pronghorns with archery gear and muzzleloaders every year, so it can't be too troublesome, all things considered. I've only killed 2, one was at 175 yards and the other was at somewhere around 50 yards, well within range for a modern lever gun with modern ammunition. Being a lover of lever guns and all the wild west stories I read as a kid, the desire to carry one is never far from my mind. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Not to derail your topic because I am interested in the answer, but...

What is your favorite maker of lever action rifles? I have been in the market for a while and just haven't dedicated to purchasing one yet.

I know Winchester has the name recognition and Wild West heritage and the Savage 99 (which I should have included in my original post along with the BLR) has a cult following, but I'm a huge Marlin lever action fan. I love the side ejection and solid receiver top compared to the Winchesters. Also, my hands don't fit well on straight gripped lever actions, so the pistol gripped Marlins offer more comfort and options. Now, even though I confessed to being a Marlin junkie, I only own 2, so don't place too much emphasis on my opinion.

Of course! Marlin 1893 in .38-55. Black powder of course.

And then there are the singleshot lever guns, but I don't suppose you really meant to include those,,, unless you did.

View attachment 128426

Beautiful buck and rifle, BrentD! Glad to see that old Marlin doing what it was intended to do.

You're right, I should have been more clear in my first post. Tube fed, repeating lever actions were what I had my mind set on, but I would love to hear about the single shot lever guns as well! I may be the only one that feels this way, but sometimes, I look back on the rifle I carried during a hunt as fondly as I do the animal I kill. After all, I spend a lot more time staring at my rifle than I do the animal I'm lucky enough to take.

I got my browning 71 to late last year to feel comfortable hunting with it. I plan on using it across the board next fall. Mule deer, antelope and cow elk. I can't give up archery bull elk.

Beautiful buck and rifle, BrentD! Glad to see that old Marlin doing what it was intended to do.

You're right, I should have been more clear in my first post. Tube fed, repeating lever actions were what I had my mind set on, but I would love to hear about the single shot lever guns as well! I may be the only one that feels this way, but sometimes, I look back on the rifle I carried during a hunt as fondly as I do the animal I kill. After all, I spend a lot more time staring at my rifle than I do the animal I'm lucky enough to take.

.45-70 Ballard #5. All original. Blackpowder again, and paper patched bullets. I've used 1885s, Sharps, flintlock with round ball, and the Ballard which has killed more than any of them. They are all good. Love the simple guns. They carry easy and shoot well and make a big boom that echos across the prairies. I can't say that I've ever failed for the equipment I've chosen. I've failed many a time, but the rifle has never been the cause, so I make a point of hunting with guns I like and the freezer manages to stay pretty full. If you spend more time looking at your rifle than your antelope, you are a candidate for an old classic or building some sort of custom that you, and only you, has to love. How about a Gemmer rolling block or an Officer's Trapdoor Sporter? Or? What's the dream?

751ojrP[1].jpg

I got my browning 71 to late last year to feel comfortable hunting with it. I plan on using it across the board next fall. Mule deer, antelope and cow elk. I can't give up archery bull elk.

Even though I prefer the Marlin platform, I will say that I do love the 71. Great looking rifle. I've never shot or owned one, but I can't imagine they wouldn't perform as well as expected.

.45-70 Ballard #5. All original. Blackpowder again, and paper patched bullets. I've used 1885s, Sharps, flintlock with round ball, and the Ballard which has killed more than any of them. They are all good. Love the simple guns. They carry easy and shoot well and make a big boom that echos across the prairies. I can't say that I've ever failed for the equipment I've chosen. I've failed many a time, but the rifle has never been the cause, so I make a point of hunting with guns I like and the freezer manages to stay pretty full. If you spend more time looking at your rifle than your antelope, you are a candidate for an old classic or building some sort of custom that you, and only you, has to love. How about a Gemmer rolling block or an Officer's Trapdoor Sporter? Or? What's the dream?

View attachment 128431

That's another sweet looking rig. You're lever action knowledge has definitely surpassed mine, so I'm not sure I could even begin to discuss a "dream" lever gun with you. Hopefully I'll learn more through research and the rest of the HT crowd to gain a better appreciation of old levers, single shots and rolling blocks. Also, I'm definitely not hardcore enough to stick with blackpowder rounds. My hats off to you for sure for being that dedicated.

Still, I'm of the influence that I don't necessarily have one dream gun, but would love to have several options. To me, what makes a really great rifle are the miles and memories it has accumulated. My father has never been a firearm fanatic, so most of what my kids will inherit will come from me. I hope to have at least a few stories to accompany each piece they get.

Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with a fixed 2.5 power Leupold

Great hunting setup. Is the eye relief on that Leupold good enough that you can maintain a normal cheek weld? I've got a Marlin with an XS sight rail on it that I would love to find a scope for. I like that you were able to fit it in front of your ghost ring instead of getting higher rings to sit over your rear aperture.

LittleBill, you are right about the miles and memories. That's what it is all about, but you can also add in all the miles and adventures that happened before you ever appeared on the scene. Take an old one back out where it began. Sure is nice to speculate about what it may have done and where it may have gone. But whatever type of rifle you like, find it, make it, rebuild it, whatever it takes and than go hunting with it. It is more satisfying than taking the latest and greatest because everyone else is. I inherited a few guns - none big game guns. So, I find my own way chasing whatever I like in the "off season" to use chasing whatever I have a tag for in the "on season".

Don't ever be afraid to discuss a dream rifle with anyone. It's your dream, and this is just the internet. No one has all the answers, but this is a good place to find out what the questions are, if nothing else.

And don't let the blackpowder thing put you off. It is actually simpler than the smokeless stuff.

This one is a rebuilt 1885 with a Unertl scope. .38-72. Carries nice. Unfortunately I didn't find anything to shoot.
20191102_130137.jpg

Great hunting setup. Is the eye relief on that Leupold good enough that you can maintain a normal cheek weld? I've got a Marlin with an XS sight rail on it that I would love to find a scope for. I like that you were able to fit it in front of your ghost ring instead of getting higher rings to sit over your rear aperture.

Yeah that scope has tons of eye relief. I have it on quick detach rings so I can go back to the XS sights easily. It is basically the same cheek weld as the iron sights

Look at some Henry rifles.
The classics are getting way too expensive if you can find one.
They have some side gate models now but lots of options. We have 3 Henrys now, never though we would but like them all. Love my 41 mag for hog hunting.

Nice rifle BrentD.

Look at some Henry rifles.
The classics are getting way too expensive if you can find one.
They have some side gate models now but lots of options. We have 3 Henrys now, never though we would but like them all. Love my 41 mag for hog hunting.

Nice rifle BrentD.

I really like the fact that Henry is chambering the 41 mag and the 327 Federal Magnum. I'd love to pick up one of those with a large loop to fit my hand better. I'm sure they're a blast to shoot.

I used to be really against their front tube feeding system, but I don't feel like it would deter me much now. They should hold plenty of rounds to take care of the task at hand before needing to reload. Definitely don't want to give up my side gate loading Marlins, but I'm just saying those Henry levers wouldn't scare me off.

LittleBill, you are right about the miles and memories. That's what it is all about, but you can also add in all the miles and adventures that happened before you ever appeared on the scene. Take an old one back out where it began. Sure is nice to speculate about what it may have done and where it may have gone. But whatever type of rifle you like, find it, make it, rebuild it, whatever it takes and than go hunting with it. It is more satisfying than taking the latest and greatest because everyone else is. I inherited a few guns - none big game guns. So, I find my own way chasing whatever I like in the "off season" to use chasing whatever I have a tag for in the "on season".

Don't ever be afraid to discuss a dream rifle with anyone. It's your dream, and this is just the internet. No one has all the answers, but this is a good place to find out what the questions are, if nothing else.

And don't let the blackpowder thing put you off. It is actually simpler than the smokeless stuff.

This one is a rebuilt 1885 with a Unertl scope. .38-72. Carries nice. Unfortunately I didn't find anything to shoot.
View attachment 128438

Thanks BrentD. That's another great looking rifle! Maybe one of these days I'll venture into the blackpowder world, but for now I'll have to stay in the cozy confines of smokeless powder and brass cases. I guess my millennialism is starting to show a little.....ouch.

I do have an old Marlin 32-20 that was passed down from grandfather that I'd like to restore some day. Not necessarily a complete restoration, but just getting it operational again would be nice.

Only my second post, but here are my 2 cents:

Under 200 yards a lever gun in 30-30 with modern ammo is just fine. My brother and I used to hunt with lever action marlins. His was a 30-30 with a 2-7x scope and mine was a .308 Marlin express with a 3-9x scope. We shot Hornady Leverevolution ammo and never felt under-gunned. The 30-30 with the Leverevolution ammo drops 12 inches at 300 yards. With traditional round-nosed loads I would keep my shots well under 200 yards. My brother killed an antelope around 300 yards with the 30-30 and Hornady ammo. (Might have been luck or stupidity). I killed a cow elk at ironically 308 yards with the .308 mx. The .308mx doesn't really belong in this discussion as it is closer to the .308 Winchester instead of a 30-30. Antelope are easy to kill so really all you have to decide is how far you want to be able to realistically shoot. Of the antelope I have shot all have been under 200 yards and many under 100 yards. I personally would think the joy of hunting with a lever-gun would be to put a peep-sight on the gun and try and hunt one under 100 yards for the challenge instead of trying to stretch the range. Years back writer Wayne van Zwoll did some articles about hunting with the 30-30 for a season with the Leverevolution ammo. He didn't feel under-gunned harvesting, pronghorn, deer, elk, and black bear with the 30-30. Have fun with the lever gun.

Only my second post, but here are my 2 cents:

Under 200 yards a lever gun in 30-30 with modern ammo is just fine. My brother and I used to hunt with lever action marlins. His was a 30-30 with a 2-7x scope and mine was a .308 Marlin express with a 3-9x scope. We shot Hornady Leverevolution ammo and never felt under-gunned. The 30-30 with the Leverevolution ammo drops 12 inches at 300 yards. With traditional round-nosed loads I would keep my shots well under 200 yards. My brother killed an antelope around 300 yards with the 30-30 and Hornady ammo. (Might have been luck or stupidity). I killed a cow elk at ironically 308 yards with the .308 mx. The .308mx doesn't really belong in this discussion as it is closer to the .308 Winchester instead of a 30-30. Antelope are easy to kill so really all you have to decide is how far you want to be able to realistically shoot. Of the antelope I have shot all have been under 200 yards and many under 100 yards. I personally would think the joy of hunting with a lever-gun would be to put a peep-sight on the gun and try and hunt one under 100 yards for the challenge instead of trying to stretch the range. Years back writer Wayne van Zwoll did some articles about hunting with the 30-30 for a season with the Leverevolution ammo. He didn't feel under-gunned harvesting, pronghorn, deer, elk, and black bear with the 30-30. Have fun with the lever gun.

You obviously have the experience, so I definitely want to hear your thoughts. That is exactly what I was looking for. Being able to head into the field and not feel like you were attempting an impossible task.

I understand your logic with thinking the 308 Marlin Express should be excluded, but I would love the chance to take one hunting one of these days. It still runs through the classic Marlin 336 platform, so you still get the classic feel of a lever gun. Plus it's basically a dead cartridge these days anyway, so you get a bit of "uniqueness" from using it.

BrentD might not like it much, but I actually have a 338 Marlin Express (JM model, so a legit Marlin) that I would love to pursue antelope with some day. I bought it several years ago and have basically kept it in the box ever since. It's a 338MX model, so it has blued steel, a walnut stock and a 22" barrel, instead of the stainless, black laminate and 24" barrel of the 338MXLR. I'm quite fond of it as it's relatively lightweight and I feel like it would be a dream to carry. Just need to find a piece of glass that. would not only work well, but look good perched on a lever gun as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back