Leupy BX4's

Mako

About to pull the trigger on some Leupold Bx4's. Just debating on 10x42 or 10x50's. Any thoughs?

I like the smaller ones for portability and fatigue, but if that’s not an issue then the 50mm will have a wider FOV. Depends on your use

I am driving myself absolutely nuts. Now looking at Bx5's and Zeiss conquests. I can't decide dammit!

you and me both.

Want me to throw you another loop? I've been talking with Schmalts. I bought a Leupold scope from him a month or so ago and was asking him about bino's back then. He was telling me then that Meopta Meostars blow away their competition, especially for the price, and he's telling me so again. Now I'm considering those. From my research, looks like Zeiss, Swaro, and possibly even Khales all source glass from them, so that says a lot.

Want me to throw you another loop? I've been talking with Schmalts. I bought a Leupold scope from him a month or so ago and was asking him about bino's back then. He was telling me then that Meopta Meostars blow away their competition, especially for the price, and he's telling me so again. Now I'm considering those. From my research, looks like Zeiss, Swaro, and possibly even Khales all source glass from them, so that says a lot.
However, they are heavier with a smaller field of view than either the zeiss and especially the luepolds.

Are you making yourself "leupy"? o_O

You have no idea. I was pretty much going for the Leupolds because of the lifetime warranty. Turns out that Meopta has one too. Looks like they are really trying to up their game in the US market and get their name out there. I'm going to do a little more research when I get home tonight before I make my final decision.

I bought the Bx-4’s in 10x42 a few weeks ago. I haven’t hunted with them of course but I have spent a good bit of time glassing with them. I am very impressed with the size, weight, low light performance, and crispness of the BX-4’s.

Wish I would have upgraded to decent optics sooner.

I like the smaller ones for portability and fatigue, but if that’s not an issue then the 50mm will have a wider FOV. Depends on your use
actually that is not correct surprisingly, the 10x50 have a smaller fov than the 10x42. Turns out this is common for quite a few manufactures. Doesn't make much sense, but I talked with leupold about it and they claim there's no easy way around it. "there's an element of the larger objective lenses that actually affects the fov."
Just got a pair of the 10x50 for my old man, the glass is pretty darn good for the money. If it wasn't for the narrow fov I would really like them. I know there are others with even worse fov, but even these are noticeable vs my zeiss conquests.

actually that is not correct surprisingly, the 10x50 have a smaller fov than the 10x42. Turns out this is common for quite a few manufactures. Doesn't make much sense, but I talked with leupold about it and they claim there's no easy way around it. "there's an element of the larger objective lenses that actually affects the fov."
Just got a pair of the 10x50 for my old man, the glass is pretty darn good for the money. If it wasn't for the narrow fov I would really like them. I know there are others with even worse fov, but even these are noticeable vs my zeiss conquests.
I have seen 8x32 bins that have bigger FOV than 8x42 as well. Optics design is not as straightforward as you think.

I have low end Vortex 12x50. The quality glass isn't the same and they may be bulkier but I do wish my binos were more compact. I will be looking at 10x42's next. I don't think 12's replace a spotting scope so I'm stuck with bulk in binos and spotting scope. If a spotting scope isn't needed, the 12's still don't offer enough over 10's.

I haven't tried quality 12's to see if they are more useful without a rest. Mine aren't if I'm trying to spot a coues under a tree.

I hunted antelope for a few years with the 10x42 BX-3s and was satisfied with the clarity, but felt like I was compromising on brightness and low-light performance. Went to BX-4 last year and have been well-pleased. For my needs, the 10x42 are completely adequate and having the Leupold support and warranty gives me peace of mind.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back