Leupold VX3 or Vortex Viper

I just sold my Viper 4-16x44 HS and have a Vx3i 4-14x40 from Schmalts in the mail. That was my only Vortex scope and now besides a Zeiss and a Nikon on a muzzleloader, I will be running all Leupolds. My 2.5-8x36 Vx3 was as bright and clear in low light as the Vortex. I gave the Vortex a very fair amount of range work and hunting/field assessment too, and actually killed a deer with it. Overall, it just basically boiled down to not being up to par with my Leupolds or even the Zeiss to me.

Last edited:
I like the vortex better. I have owned several scopes and spotting scopes from both leupold and vortex. I feel like the only thing you get with leupold that goes above vortex is "made in the USA". If that is worth the extra cash to you, then buy it. I feel like for the money vortex has better features and offers more of a variety (reticles, turrets, illuminated etc) in each price point. I probably can't say anything bad about leupold, it seems like the old rugged standard, however that seems outdated to me!

If it matters, I have sold all of my leupold stuff and I currently only have vortex products (rifle scopes, spotting scope, binos and rangefinder)

I also buy almost all of my stuff on sale, used, or on a closeout deal... I constantly find good deals on vortex products and have yet to find the same with Leupold.

I like the vortex better. I have owned several scopes and spotting scopes from both leupold and vortex. I feel like the only thing you get with leupold that goes above vortex is "made in the USA". If that is worth the extra cash to you, then buy it. I feel like for the money vortex has better features and offers more of a variety (reticles, turrets, illuminated etc) in each price point. I probably can't say anything bad about leupold, it seems like the old rugged standard, however that seems outdated to me!

If it matters, I have sold all of my leupold stuff and I currently only have vortex products (rifle scopes, spotting scope, binos and rangefinder)

I also buy almost all of my stuff on sale, used, or on a closeout deal... I constantly find good deals on vortex products and have yet to find the same with Leupold.
Vortex is the only optics company that I have ever received a product from that was broken NIB. That's why you find good deals. No more of their junk for me. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back