Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Leupold vx freedom

Bigjav

Has anyone had any experience with the vx freedom 6-18x40? If so what did you like/dislike about it. I’m curious if the 30mm tube makes a difference

Only difference the larger tube makes is that it sometimes allows for greater adjustment range. It's not going to "gather more light"...

I don’t know what your uses for it are, but I’d personally rather go with less magnification and get better glass and internals for that amount of money. I always give more value to clarity over magnification

I like the tri-MOA reticle on that one, I wish they had that reticle available on the VX-3 4.5-14X scopes, they're pretty comparable in price, in the meantime weighing all the other factors.

Here's something about magnification:

I’ve got a leupold freedom 3-9x40 and I’m very happy with it. Although I can’t offer a fair comparison to the Vx3i, I can say the glass is noticeably better than the previous generation Vx1.

Is the clarity of the glass on the freedom line comparable to the Vx3i or significantly worse?
I have a 3i 3.5-10x40 and a vx-freedom 3-9x40. When comparing the two side by side in varying light conditions, to my eyes the 3i is slightly better optically at least in terms of resolution and brightness. A little better light gathering ability at the very end of legal hunting time. A little better internally, twin bias erector springs on 3i. And IMHO the 3i is aesthetically better. The VX-Freedom is not "significantly worse" by any metric than the 3i. It is a solid scope for the $$. The difference between the two is not earth shattering but imo is slightly noticeable. I would not pay full retail for a 3i. So in other words, a $399 3.5-10 3i vs a $199 3-9x40 freedom, I am going with the freedom in that instance. I got a 3i new for $302 OTD plus the free alumina caps with the rebate so to me it easily made it worth spending the extra $100 over the freedom.

Last edited:
The biggest difference is in the low light coatings. I think VX3i will be noticeably brighter at dawn and dusk. So if you’re mostly daylight shooting, I think the VX Freedom should be fine. For hunting, maybe consider upgrading.

30mm tubes and now 34mm tubes are ruining sport optics for the average shooter and hunter. They add way too much weight and bulk and expense. Keep it simple and keep buying 1” tubes. If you’re not using 20moa rails and shooting past 1k yds, you absolutely should not buy these overpriced 30-34mm tube optics.

I have a 3i 3.5-10x40 and a vx-freedom 3-9x40. I would say the 3i is slightly better optically. A little better internally, twin bias erector springs on 3i. And IMHO the 3i is aesthetically better. The VX-Freedom is not "significantly worse" by any metric than the 3i. The difference between the two is not earth shattering but imo is slightly noticeable.
It may be a similar situation to binos where during the day in good conditions the differences aren't huge between entry level and higher grade glass. What I've noticed is the more expensive stuff excels in the first and last light situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back