Leupold Scope from Cabelas

alwayshunting

I bought one of the VX-3 scopes from Cabela's that were on sale and had a rebate from Leupold. I was a little disappointed that the scope I received had already been opened. The manufactures seal had already been cut. The scope looks to be in good condition. I believe there is a new version coming out for this year. I called Cabela's and customer service told me that they no longer had this model available to replace mine with an unopened one. This leads me to believe that I was possibly sent a display model. After being transferred to a supervisor they spoke to their supervisor who assured them that the scope box was opened as a quality check and it was not a display model. I question that they could know exactly what was done with my specific scope by just having the order number and that they would be breaking manufacture seals to do quality checks.

What are your thoughts on the issue? I think I am more bothered by the customer service than receiving the opened scope.

I have ordered lots from Cabelas and never foundany item that had been opened for any reason. I would send it back for a refund.

Certainly not the end of the world but not ideal either.

What would really tick me off is someone blatantly lying to you about some quality control BS. Cause that's exactly what it is.

If the scope hasn't been damaged or used mount it up and go shoot the gun. I can see your frustration though and I'm with the other guys in that getting told stories from customer service is not ideal, if thats what happened.

Leupolds will be bullet proof anyways!

Look real close at the tube and make sure there are no ring marks on it, then look at the adjustment dials to see if they have been "buggered up". Next I would make sure the paperwork is all there, including the "mail in" warranty registration card.
If all of that checks out, I would say it is new. If any of that doesn't look right, I would return it for a refund.
You could also call Leupold and give them the serial # of the scope to see if it was previously registered for warranty (possibly online without mailing the card in), or even tell you when the scope was built.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same thing as Laelkhunter. Look closely at the tube for marks to make sure it wasn't mounted. Probably fine, but I also don't like to get something from the store that has been opened. Why was it opened? The story about a quality check is most likely BS. And why would they open it to show a customer when they probably have a display model behind the counter as I'm sure they would have with a VX-3

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to keep the scope. The scope looks to be in good shape with no ring marks. There are who very small marks on the bell and the one lens was also smudged. Nothing to worry about with Leupold's warranty though. It mostly just bothers me that I was given a previously opened scope when I expected a new one and more saw that I was being lied to about them opening it as a quality check. I have been a long time customer and have been disappointed with their service over the last few years. I think I will still give Leupold a call though.

Forget it alwayshunting, I've had Leupold scopes for over 40 years now, and have never had to send one back. They have the best warranty in the business, and that's comforting.Mount it and forget it.

Use it. It's a Leupold ,it's covered.
But your surprized you might have been lied to?
By a salesweasel/supervisor?
Anywhere?
SOP these days.MHO

It's a scope, not food. Once you open the box of a new one it's no different than the one you have now.

I did keep the scope as I planned and look forward to getting out shooting the new scope. I have had great luck in the past with Leupold products and even their warranty one time. I did call them to question Cabelas practice of opening the box to inspect the product. They said it was unusual and gave me a very generous offer which I turned down. Nice to have excellent customer service from a company.

Back