Letter to the Editor

danr55

Sent to the Editor of the Arizona Republic,

The Systematic Rape of the Arizona Game and Fish Department

It would appear that several of the state legislators in Arizona feel that the Arizona Game and Fish Department does not deserve an operating budget for next year. Out of the proposed budget that was sent from AZGF to the State Legislature, asking for $9,285,500 for fiscal 2003, the committee recommended a budget of $296,200. That’s less than 0.035% of the requested moneys. It was further recommended that $2,000,000 of funds earmarked for watercraft on our inland lakes be transferred to the General Fund. As a citizen of the State of Arizona, I am concerned about what private agendas may be involved. As one who enjoys the outdoors in Arizona, I am outraged by the callous disregard for that part of this State that I find so appealing.

The Chairman for the Senate Committee is Jack Harper. I recently had an email exchange with Mr. Harper concerning his proposed closure and sale of Raymond and House Rock Ranches. His response to me indicated that he did not believe that the State had any business operating Buffalo Ranches. Once it was determined that the State would have to repay considerable funds to the Federal Government because these ranches were paid for with federal monies, the idea of selling them was dismissed. Part of Mr. Harper’s response was that AZGF could sell more big game hunt tags to recoup the funds. I would ask how much background Mr. Harper has in Game Management and what makes him qualified to think that solution is feasible?

It is well known that there is animosity between some state legislators and the AZGF because AZGF are pretty much autonomous. The education required to operate an organization like AZGF is not your common variety business or engineering degree. The rewards for working for AZGF are not great in terms of cash. Degrees in other fields that require equivalent schooling are significantly higher paying. I find it difficult to understand why a legislative body would willfully and with forethought systematically remove the moneys needed to operate a state agency that just meeting their needs as it is.

Let's see if I can incite some responses...

cool.gif

Good one Dan..
I also wonder why these polticians think they can raid the funds raised by the F&G just because they don't understand them and more than likely think wildlife can in reality run itself.
rolleyes.gif

I think the politicians are just jealous of the AZFG. I mean, I'd love to spend all day in the woods or on the water. I just don't want to have to spend all that time in school, or front the cost of school these days. Besides you can't teach old dogs new tricks anyways.

I am envious some days at what these guys do, and get paid, but when I work with them on projects I get to see the costs they paid to get there.

Outsatnding Dan!!
Very well written, concise and to the point! I'm curious as to the response you may get!

ElkhntinmD

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back