Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Let’s talk chainsaws!

All that broke was the handle, spark plug, the carb, air filter, and orange cover. Got about 300 in parts to get it back to new. Expensive lesson on saw placement after the cut to learn.

375F6882-3BFE-4460-A7D8-325906ED1661.jpeg
It lives!! I would highly recommend not crushing one of these, it is a bear to put back together. Pretty sure they hired watch makers to design and assemble them.
Also the 261 and 261c are mostly interchangeable. The plastics around the carb look the same but in fact are different. You need a Dremel tool to make a older one work.

Anyone run a Echo? Their warranty is top notch. 5 years and lifetime on the electronics.
I run an Echo with a smaller bar...I've used it for 15 years and it still runs good.
For a bigger saw, I'd go with a Stihl...that is my go to saw for felling and firewood bucking.

Had you not said GAS POWERED I would have said a Milwaukee Fuel battery powered saw. I am in an industry that used to use all sorts of gas powered saws. The gas powered saws are laying on a pallet in the corner of the shop. Echo, Hasqauvarna, and the beloved Sthil. They will probably end up in the dumpster. I personally have a couple of gas powered saws, a weed eater and a blower that have been replaced by Milwaukee battery powered units. Handy as all get out, reliable, and a battery change is all that is required when they stop working. Have a charger in the truck plugged into a inverter. I can use these in wilderness areas where gas powered anything is banned.

Had you not said GAS POWERED I would have said a Milwaukee Fuel battery powered saw. I am in an industry that used to use all sorts of gas powered saws. The gas powered saws are laying on a pallet in the corner of the shop. Echo, Hasqauvarna, and the beloved Sthil. They will probably end up in the dumpster. I personally have a couple of gas powered saws, a weed eater and a blower that have been replaced by Milwaukee battery powered units. Handy as all get out, reliable, and a battery change is all that is required when they stop working. Have a charger in the truck plugged into a inverter. I can use these in wilderness areas where gas powered anything is banned.
You can send me any Stihl saws you are going to throw in the dumpster. You might want to check on the wilderness use. Also, I used an MS271 from work for a weekend. Nice saw but underpowered at least for me. My 038 was in the shop for a broken motor mount. Big difference. mtmuley

Last edited:
I use a dewalt electric for a saddle saw during season. The rest of the year I cut trail with Stihl 311, or 038 super. If I'm in the the big wood I use a Husky 576. It cuts that 30 " stuff like butter.

I don't think that electic would be legal in a wilderness area - just quieter.

You can send me any Stihl saws you are going to throw in the dumpster. You might want to check on the wilderness use. Also, I used an MS271 from work for a weekend. Nice saw but underpowered at least for me. My 038 was in the shop for a broken motor mount. Big difference. mtmuley
I will see if the company will part with any. I said destined for the dumpster because that seems what happens at big companies when things set around and don't get used..
My point with the battery powered is for someone needs a saw for occasional use they are tough to beat. No worries about fuel going bad, replacing spark plugs and they are quite. Yea if I still cut firewood I would use gas powered. The OP said he he doesn't cut firewood anymore.

That’s a bold strategy.
I was incorrect in my statement about the use of battery powered chainsaws in a wilderness area. I saw a while back that they were considering allowing the use of them. Their stance still has not changed. Electric/Battery powered chainsaws are still considered chainsaws and are NOT ALLOWED. Again never take someone's word as fact go to the source!

What the heck happened? It looks more smashed than burned. I'd guess it got run over by a truck or bulldozer.
Saw pinched.Held on as long as I could.Saw swung around as the tree fell. Tree hit the ground and missed the the saw but the butt end came back up in the air about 6 feet and came straight down on the saw. Butt end ended up about four feet from the saw. I didn’t die so the first thing I did was take a picture and send it to people I knew would enjoy.You know how adult men get a laugh out of each other’s stupid mistakes.

Had a friend set his saw on the tailgate. Did something else and forgot to shut the tailgate. Chainsaw fell out and a car coming from the other direction hit it. Blew up into a million pieces. I got a good laugh!

Also had a friend with a chainsaw only two weeks old. Was clearing a lot and ran it over with a dozer. Anybody else ever smash their chainsaw? Maybe you can make us smile.

Also had a friend with a chainsaw only two weeks old. Was clearing a lot and ran it over with a dozer. Anybody else ever smash their chainsaw? Maybe you can make us smile.
I’ve seen more than the average joe. I have seen multiple 201t’s and a couple 361s take flight from 20 to 80 feet above the ground. The results varied depending on what they hit when they hit the ground. Have seen a couple used a wheel chalks. Have also seen a log get away from someone and smash a saw. And two fell off trucks.

Reactions: Mrc
I've had a tree fall the wrong way, pinch the blade and crack the housing on the saw. Luckily there was a big rock that kind of absorbed part of the weight of the tree. Nothing too exciting. Growing up, I recall a friend of my Dad's having a big gash on his forehead from a chainsaw kicking back while he was cutting blackjack oak (hard as nails). The image of his gashed forehead probably did a lot to increase my chainsaw safety. Maybe they need that image on new chainsaw sales similar to warnings on packs of cigarettes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back