Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Let's see your guns!

Please explain the reasons for love and hate to educate us neophytes.

It is mostly aesthetics. I do not know if I think it is beautiful or hideous. Both I guess. I like the higher grades of these guns a lot better than case colored, low engraving, plain wood. I missed a real beauty that as perfect for me back in August when my gun fund just couldn't measure up. I big all I had, but came up $300 short. I think this one has some charm, except when it strikes me as butt ugly. Interestingly, in asking for advice about this particular gun, I came across a previous owner of this very gun. He told me it was hardly used when he bought and later sold it. It appears that not much has changed in the last few years, so it seems like a very good risk to me.

On the possibly "hate side", the sunken rib is going to be interesting to try, but I don't think this is a particularly deeply sunken rib as these guns can go. And the big bugaboo for most hunters with this type of gun is the safety switch on the left side. It is made to operated with the thumb by pushing it down. Some people hate them. I have never handled one, so I can't say. It will be a learning experience.

On the love side, they are unusually very light for their gauge and yet one of the stronger actions. The quality of manufacturing is extremely good as well. I wanted a 6# or less pheasant gun. This one goes 6.04# according to the auction house and yet it has 27" barrels. Contrast that with my 7.25# Greener, almost 8# Cashmore and even my 6.5# Merkel. I will appreciate that this winter when the walks get long and the shooting gets slim.

Though a lower grade gun, this one has had very little use. I should be able to try it and flip it if I don't like it for very little financial loss if any (~$1k). I could buy 3-4 of these for what it is costing me to get my Greener fixed. :( :( :(

I like something different and this and the Manufrance Ideal are high on the list of the weiAttach filesrd, but the Manufrance safety is even more challenging from what I have read, so Darne it is.
(https://auctions.morphyauctions.com...AND_VERY_INTERESTING_HIGH_QUAL-LOT480188.aspx)

VikingsGuy, I should add, I'm nearly a neophyte, but I have very wet feet. No better way to learn. Jump in - the water is warm (it is a VERY good time to be buying).

For the most part, I can't decide if this is the prettiest girl at the dance or the ugliest. Either way, we are going to be stepping out this summer and fall and see if we can swing.

Last edited:
Unboxed this Gilboa snake yesterday in my dinning room in preparation of setting it up. double barrel AR. unloaded it weighs 12 pounds so it will be 14+ pounds when loaded and optics and other things added. (holds 2, 30 round mags)

BGL99qA.jpg

B67I1p3.jpg

47xyV1z.jpg

HSplRgo.jpg
Looking forward to seeing that bad boy mow down some gators

This one is so much cooler given its history. Looks like its earned each little scratch.
Exactly! He contemplated replacing the stock but I was able to talk him out of it. He can name a few of the scratches on the stock even! A couple came from the arctic on his polar bear hunt. Few from various sheep hunts ranging from dall sheep to marco polo in Tajikistan! Can't wait to start traveling more and creating my own marks on the rifle! The thing shoots great too, it stacks pullets in as accurately as I can shoot it. Sub MOA and the brake makes the recoil manageable!

Exactly! He contemplated replacing the stock but I was able to talk him out of it. He can name a few of the scratches on the stock even! A couple came from the arctic on his polar bear hunt. Few from various sheep hunts ranging from dall sheep to marco polo in Tajikistan! Can't wait to start traveling more and creating my own marks on the rifle! The thing shoots great too, it stacks pullets in as accurately as I can shoot it. Sub MOA and the brake makes the recoil manageable!
Is your gramps Jim Shokey!? What a bad ass!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back