Let’s See Your Favorite Mount

Could you post a closer up look at his horns they seem to look a little funky?
This is an Arizona desert sheep that I killed in 2015. I started applying when I was 15 and got the sheep when I was 63. Yes the horns are busted up from fighting and he is missing a tooth.2016 John and sheep.jpg At my age, I guess that I identified with him! Horn lengths are 39.5"x38".

Since the Nevada drawing results were just posted last night,,,, I thought that I'd add one of my favorite mounts to this older thread.

My first Nevada buck taken in the Ruby range waaaaay back in the early 80's. I posted a short hunt recap in the Muley Buck thread, so won't repeat it here. It was an amazing experience!

I also should state that I did the mount myself, so don't laugh to much at the end result!!! I still love the mount. Every time I look at the mount, the memories of my youth and that Nevada hunting adventure come sweeping back.

IMG_20190429_0002.jpg
IMG_20200408_0001.jpg
IMG_20200408_0002.jpg
and the end result!
IMG_20200408_0003.jpg

This one also brings back those old memories as it is my very first big game animal,,,,ever! Shot behind our NW MT backcountry elk camp when I was 12yo. My dad and grandpa took the ponies to retrieve a couple of elk that they downed the day before. I was left at camp with orders to do camp cleanup, spit/haul wood and refill all of the water buckets as my horse was needed in the pack string. I was also ordered to stick close to camp. So once the chores where done, I decided to climb the slide behind camp to enjoy the views on a beautiful "Indian Summer" fall day. This buck was working his way down the hill just inside the timber along the slide. I still remember the crosshairs bouncing around all over the place before the gun went off. When I recovered from the shot, the buck was nowhere to be seen. I remember thinking to myself, "Well that didn't work", as I made my way to the buck's last location. To my surprise, there lay the buck! I must have sat there for an hour, running my fingers through his hair and looking at his horns. Then I realized that there was work to be done and I had to do it all by myself.......again, mounted by me in later years.

IMG_20200408_0004.jpg

For those that viewed "Successful" in there NV drawing results, CONGRATS!.....especially that sheep tag!

Last edited:
20200425_063411.jpg
Really starting to regret having all these done. Twice as many European mounts on the backside and we are preparing for a cross country move. Moral of the story is, if you are not well rooted where you live think twice about taxidermy.

Out of mine it would be this one. Poor picture with the way my basement is lit (and from spending a few years around my step-mother's cats), but Wood Ducks are some beautiful, tasty fowl. These were taken off a small pond near a large creek about 20 years ago, it was late afternoon and the sun was at an angle lighting everything in a gorgeous golden hue with deep shadows from the trees and the water was like glass. They came coasting through the trees towards my decoys, it was such a perfect day I had them mounted to remember it.

ducks.jpg

Out of mine it would be this one. Poor picture with the way my basement is lit (and from spending a few years around my step-mother's cats), but Wood Ducks are some beautiful, tasty fowl. These were taken off a small pond near a large creek about 20 years ago, it was late afternoon and the sun was at an angle lighting everything in a gorgeous golden hue with deep shadows from the trees and the water was like glass. They came coasting through the trees towards my decoys, it was such a perfect day I had them mounted to remember it.

I'm envious of this one. I don't kill as many now as I did at my old house, but I really wanted a pair mounted. Even had the drift wood picked out. But couldn't kill a hen that I thought wasn't too messed up, or have good plumage.

Couldn't decide which one was my favourite so here's my top three:

Nothing special about this one but for some reason I really enjoy the layout, I normally rotate the heads but keep as two whitetails and a mule deer (hanging bear claws on the top right corner).

zfMlsHg.jpg

I also find this Trapper Nelson pack mount really neat, I had seen a similar one and decided to make my own.

sy4V5hF.jpg

Finally this wild boar with a few extras (including my cowboy deer and his fiddlin' buddy).

NPg2v7q.jpg
Awesome mounts! I like the flair added!

@JTHOMP I was a little miffed when I got settled into my own place and came back to pick up the mount after said cats had been messing with them, the hen especially was near perfect when I went away to college. Not sure if a taxidermist can do anything to fix them, unfortunately.

New Mexico Barbary Sheep
Barbary Sheep.jpg

At the moment my favorite is just a euro mount of my 2019 CO OTC archery bull. Every time I look at it i think about the countless hours of preparation, the grind of the season, and the sucky pack out.

Attachments

• 3B5A643F-DE83-42EA-83E3-A22E33C68E05.jpeg
    3B5A643F-DE83-42EA-83E3-A22E33C68E05.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 17
New Mexico Barbary Sheep
View attachment 140988
From the looks of that SECTION of wall, someone has been busy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back