Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Let’s see some region 7 antelope!

Just got back from my R7 antelope hunt. I really dont want to sound like a pessimist but the numbers are extremely low. I ended up filling with a small buck which is just fine with me. I did not see one pronghorn on any Block management or public land. Very few deer sightings as well. It is no lie that the 2022-2-23 winter did some major damage.

Just got back from my R7 antelope hunt. I really dont want to sound like a pessimist but the numbers are extremely low. I ended up filling with a small buck which is just fine with me. I did not see one pronghorn on any Block management or public land. Very few deer sightings as well. It is no lie that the 2022-2-23 winter did some major damage.
Things were headed south long before a couple years of drought and winter. Did this look like an area that should have been offering successful buck tag holders an additional doe tag as well? I hope you enjoyed your hunt it’s likely the best you will ever see in region 7.

I hope you are wrong as that is some very nice country to be out in. Hopefully they reanalyze the tags given out and cut them way back....i am not going to hold my breath though.

Beatle guy taps mine at 76
Just out of curiosity is that the pronghorn in the “As they lay” thread that you posted on Saturday?

Spent a couple days last week hunting doe tags in region 7, 705 specifically.

Overall numbers are completely decimated. I hunted same areas 4 years ago and by my eye populations are down 95-97% based on what I saw. Granted last hunt was opening day, this was week following, I'm sure that has some impact but not that much 5-10%.

Filled one tag on wed am and one tag on thur am. I got lucky on both to find animals in good spots on public that were dumb enough to let me get in rifle range. Saw one shooter buck on public in 500 miles of driving.

Might skip next year and give them a chance to rebound if winter is kinder than last. I'm shocked they did secondary offering with herds in this shape, 150 doe tags for region 7 does not impact the overall population statistically, but it doesn't help either.

On the upside, the ones I cut up were REAL fat. Lots of good groceries and the mulies I saw looked very healthy too.

Wy in Crook County the game and fish said they are down 50% and still significantly better than Carter or Powder River counties.

Anybody really think there are an equal amount of animals: tags?
Well....I made a loop today not through all of region 7 but Colstrip Ashland Broadus Hammond Alzada Devils Tower and then back home to the magic city.

I'm like an Owl when I drive through that country always looking.

Maybe saw 100. Maybe. Watched a kid shoot one off the fence in the borrow pit today. Pretty sweet

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back