Let us through! Canada won't allow SE AK hunters over the border to access interior subsistence activities

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an all around crappy situation for all. I respect my country's decision while I don't necessarily agree with it. Bottom line, Canada has the best interest of Canadians in mind. There have been several cases of people crossing into Canada under false pretenses (travel to Alaska which is allowed) only to vacation in the Rockies and put Canadian lives at risk for their stupidity. My 5 Montana and Wyoming tags will likely be returned this year. Canadian outfitters have suffered greatly from losses with the bear and fishing seasons. We can only hope for the border to open and for quarantine orders to be lifted, in time for the fall season but that is wishful thinking.
I agree with everything except having the best interest of Canadians in mind. Which Canadians? In northwest Ontario around our family cabin most of the Canadians rely on American tourists in some way to make a living. It is a lot like in some where most of the population Lives in urban environments and most laws and regulations are enforced to help them. Rural residents get the shaft.

We will trade you some of the Yukon for the UP ;)

Canucks always like good deals, I'll do you one better, the GTA for Montana, trust me, it's a great deal!

I agree with everything except having the best interest of Canadians in mind. Which Canadians? In northwest Ontario around our family cabin most of the Canadians rely on American tourists in some way to make a living. It is a lot like in some where most of the population Lives in urban environments and most laws and regulations are enforced to help them. Rural residents get the shaft.

As I stated in my post, I don't necessarily agree with it. Our government views COVID 19 as a bigger threat than a failing economy. Like someone has stated before, governments around the world are having to make tough decisions.

If you look at this from Canada’s point of view (our US COVID situation is abysmal and our gov’t hasn’t exactly treated the Canadian gov’t well in recent times), I can respect their position. Frankly, if I was any other gov’t in the world, I’m not sure that I’d be allowing Americans in right now. It sucks for the locals, on both sides of the boarder, because they didn’t cause this and they are being negatively impacted by it. They are simply caught up in the larger politics of the situation where national level decisions override local common sense. It all sucks!

Bottom line, Canada has the best interest of Canadians in mind.
I don't disagree with that one bit. I take pride in America over any other country as well. Sometimes I may not agree with the decisions, however as you... well my signature line covers my thoughts.

Would love to see more Canadians lose access to their vacation property, lose their work visas, etc... for 5-20 years when found pretending resident status (as a non resident) for hunting MT, etc...

One of the bitter pills of two great allied border nations.

If anything considered essential, I would say the OP is essential. Sometimes broad strokes are used. In this case, I'd imagine this may change for those able to prove based on multi year subsistence cross border activity.

Its not the borders responsibility to prove, the burden is on the traveler.

In the end, all respect to Canada so long as it's reciprocated.

Got a Commercial Driver? Back in April a friend picked up a Flatbed trailer in Kansas and drove back through Canada to Talkeetna AK. His Commercial drivers license was his golden ticket.

Got a Commercial Driver? Back in April a friend picked up a Flatbed trailer in Kansas and drove back through Canada to Talkeetna AK. His Commercial drivers license was his golden ticket.

If you're going to drive through OUR country, under false pretenses, you deserve the book thrown at you, heck, you deserve the whole damn bookshelf thrown at you. These times suck for EVERYONE, people trying to find loopholes to achieve their own personal goals are nothing but selfish. Bottom line, crossing into my country is not a right, it is a privilege. I get the same privilege and hold dearly, everytime I am allowed into your country.

If you're going to drive through OUR country, under false pretenses, you deserve the book thrown at you, heck, you deserve the whole damn bookshelf thrown at you. These times suck for EVERYONE, people trying to find loopholes to achieve their own personal goals are nothing but selfish. Bottom line, crossing into my country is not a right, it is a privilege. I get the same privilege and hold dearly, everytime I am allowed into your country.
I agree with this. But you ain't getting Montana.;) mtmuley

The border closure is not screwing just a few individuals ... the people of Skagway & Hyder are not doing well. My good friend's business in Hyder is toast.

So in a nutshell you’re saying countries have the right to control their borders?
I guess I tend to agree. Maybe the US should adopt the same policy.

Not familiar with that area, can you not fly from point A to point B?
Yes you could fly but that isn't cost effective when you are subsistence hunting for moose. This hunt isn't for non residents going on their dream hunt. It's for meat. Plus most hunters are towing boats up to hunt the rivers. They are pretty much SOL unless the governments come to an agreement on travel before moose season.

Yes you could fly but that isn't cost effective when you are subsistence hunting for moose. This hunt isn't for non residents going on their dream hunt. It's for meat. Plus most hunters are towing boats up to hunt the rivers. They are pretty much SOL unless the governments come to an agreement on travel before moose season.
I gotcha. Good luck, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

So you can come if you like but...... You will fine given a fine of a minimum $750 000, a felony convection for violating the Quarantine Act(max 4 years in jail), forfeiture of all property in Canada and a permanent ban on entering Canada.

From talking with a couple bureaucratic buddies. Canada would consider if the States showed under 2000 new cases a day with a steady decease. So it doesn't look like thats going to happen anytime soon. Hopefully with a new federal administration their may be better leadership to help curve the spread of this disease. I will miss going to our families place in Charlton SC this winter though.

Alaskans are master's at logistics for backcountry travel. I'm sure there is a creative way to give the Canadians the bird and figure out another way :) How about showing up armed and take over territory making the road a new part of Alaska hahaha
We all know them canadians have alot of french blood in their vanes. And we also know how the french react when armed folks show up on their doorstep. 😉😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back