Let us through! Canada won't allow SE AK hunters over the border to access interior subsistence activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutfondler

For generations, subsistence hunters in SE Alaska have relied on overland access to the interior to access hunting opportunities that help feed their families. The Canadian Border and Customs folks have indicated that hunting even for subsistence reasons is "non-essential" and therefore hunters will not be granted permission to drive through the Yukon even if adhering to strict and respectful isolation guidelines. Hunting is financially, culturally, and nutritionally essential to folks living in rural communities, please sign our petition and help support the needs of our families.

Below you will find the link to change.org

Thank you and have a nice day
Ray

http://chng.it/CYb7s6nr

Not EVEN going to click on it. No offense, but a first post with a link attached smells fishy. IF you are legit, welcome aboard! I feel for ya'. This Covid thing is nuts.

I looked the issue up on change.org, the person that posted it used a similar name on change.org and has the same info. Not sure if I would click on the link above though.

that link for sure looks suspicious... chng.it??? with a bunch of random characters after...no thanks.

It is legit. The OP is from Haines, Alaska, the same little town my family lives in. Three Uncles and their families are having to deal with this issue. Their annual moose and caribou hunts are SOL, because they have to drive from Haines, north into Canada, then west to Alaska. There is really no other way to do it from Haines.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 2.51.15 PM.png

Last edited:
It is legit. The OP is from Haines, Alaska, the little same town my family lives in. Three Uncles and their families are having to deal with this issue. Their annual moose and caribou hunts are SOL, because they have to drive from Haines, north into Canada, then west to Alaska. There is really no other way to do it from Haines.

View attachment 148587
Ferries still down from the virus aren't they? That'd be the other option

It is legit. The OP is from Haines, Alaska, the little same town my family lives in. Three Uncles and their families are having to deal with this issue. Their annual moose and caribou hunts are SOL, because they have to drive from Haines, north into Canada, then west to Alaska. There is really no other way to do it from Haines.

View attachment 148587
Ferry to Valdez?

@SD_Prairie_Goat beat me to it.

This is an all around crappy situation for all. I respect my country's decision while I don't necessarily agree with it. Bottom line, Canada has the best interest of Canadians in mind. There have been several cases of people crossing into Canada under false pretenses (travel to Alaska which is allowed) only to vacation in the Rockies and put Canadian lives at risk for their stupidity. My 5 Montana and Wyoming tags will likely be returned this year. Canadian outfitters have suffered greatly from losses with the bear and fishing seasons. We can only hope for the border to open and for quarantine orders to be lifted, in time for the fall season but that is wishful thinking.

View attachment 148587
My apologies to the OP. Can't blame a guy for being careful!

I hear you folks on the sketchy link problem, I appreciate the feedback. I attached a friendlier looking link below, and I pinky promise I'm not a Russian Bot.

I don't fault the Canadians for keeping a lid on travelers, but it really chaps my ass that they let people cross to drive to the interior for work/school/medical appointments. They say you don't need to hunt because you have a grocery store, well that argument doesn't hold water if I can go to Whitehorse to get my dog fixed, just saying....

Thanks again for the support

And don't get me started on the Ferry, that 'ship sailed' when the state quit maintaining the boats

Alaskans are master's at logistics for backcountry travel. I'm sure there is a creative way to give the Canadians the bird and figure out another way :) How about showing up armed and take over territory making the road a new part of Alaska hahaha

Maybe they've added routes I'm not aware of, but I don't think the Alaska Marine Highway System (ferry) can get you from Haines to Valdez, even with connections. I could be wrong.
You could hop to Juneau, then take it to Whittier, but man would that be a haul on the ferry! Something like 37 hours, then have to drive another 9 hours, that'd be rough

Unfortunately this is all uncharted waters, and most likely what ever decision is made there will be party that is injured. I dont envy any policy makers in this. I have feeling that we are still in the infancy of this and there will be more and worse situations to come.

I hear you folks on the sketchy link problem, I appreciate the feedback. I attached a friendlier looking link below, and I pinky promise I'm not a Russian Bot.

I don't fault the Canadians for keeping a lid on travelers, but it really chaps my ass that they let people cross to drive to the interior for work/school/medical appointments. They say you don't need to hunt because you have a grocery store, well that argument doesn't hold water if I can go to Whitehorse to get my dog fixed, just saying....

Thanks again for the support

Maybe you need to plan on taking your dog with you on your hunting trip then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back