Let them expire? Wyoming Sheep points.

I was planning to start buying preference points in preparation for the bonus point system that’s coming. I have more money than I have time. 🤷‍♂️

I am 20 yo with 1 moose and sheep point in Wyoming, would it be worth it at my age to still buy points? Or is it just an endless money pit.
I drew a moose permit with 1 point this year as a resident in Wyoming. I drew a muskox tag in Alaska with no points. Drew mountain goat and moose in Montana with no points. Drew desert sheep in Arizona with 11 points. Drew sheep in Wyoming with 21 points. Drew my first moose in Wyoming with 15 points.

I've drawn some great tags random, and some great tags with points.

The only certain thing I can say, you have zero percent chance of drawing if you don't apply. Other than that, I have no great advice.

I’ll agree with buzz, hard to draw if you don’t apply. I’ve only got points in a couple states and I’m kinda mid pack with them. If I could go back in time I’d probably be buying every point I could. I could have skipped a few restaurant meals, fancy coffees or beers and easily afforded them

Go hunt tahr in NZ diy for cheap. Do it while you still have the legs for it. True that it's not bighorn sheep but it's an alpine hunt.

Go hunt tahr in NZ diy for cheap. Do it while you still have the legs for it. True that it's not bighorn sheep but it's an alpine hunt.
Now that's a very good idea. I'm going back in early Dec with a bow as the tahr come down from the heights in spring and early summer for early growth to put on some beef after foraging in the snow most of the winter. I've put up photos of mobs of bulls down in the lower country, most were taken in Nov/ Dec. My fav spot used to take me 3 easy hours but now that I've turned 73 it's more like 4 but easy walk. If you're driving from new York( eastern states anyway) and it takes you two days I'm sure you can get to NZ in the same time frame. If anyone is willing to drop everything and join up in Christchurch you will be welcome.

Cut it loose. Your math is correct. The odds getting better in the future is as bad as your odds of drawing the random. The fact you are asking tells me you have better things to do with that money.

I am 20 yo with 1 moose and sheep point in Wyoming, would it be worth it at my age to still buy points? Or is it just an endless money pit.
You can’t apply for everything in the world, so you have to make choices on what/what not to waste money on just for a “chance”. Wyoming moose/sheep/goat points at your age and point level are not worth virtually anything and won’t be even if you continue until you are an old man (or woman?)and likely not even then. There are many, MANY people ahead of you whether they stay as preference points or go to
bonus points. You are far better off applying for other dream hunts you would like to do with 5-10% odds and an occasional hail mary on a raffle tag.

If you are actually thinking of using it in AK consider a drysuit, seriously.
Amen
I'm in Kodiak right now and took a couple of packrafts (caribou) on their maiden voyage.
I have used my Sea Eagle inflatable kayak many times in various locations in Alaska. The SE, Aleutians, Kodiak and it's very stable.
Not so with the packrafts. Got flipped easily and my gear took a sandy salt bath. Had to wash my guns in a stream. Won't feel comfortable using those again except for in Kauai.

Amen
I'm in Kodiak right now and took a couple of packrafts (caribou) on their maiden voyage.
I have used my Sea Eagle inflatable kayak many times in various locations in Alaska. The SE, Aleutians, Kodiak and it's very stable.
Not so with the packrafts. Got flipped easily and my gear took a sandy salt bath. Had to wash my guns in a stream. Won't feel comfortable using those again except for in Kauai.
I get it, would be in a stream, not in big sea water. Have lots to learn.

I think I’d stay in for 1-2 more years to see if they convert to bonus points. You’ll probably never be at the top of the heap for preference, and if you ever get there, you won’t be young. If they convert to bonus, which is not unlikely, you’ll be glad you had your points.

If they don’t convert to bonus within the next few years, I think most people should get out. That of course will lead to them being interested in converting to bonus.

Last edited:
I think there is a very strong chance preference points will soon become bonus points in Wyoming. I wouldn't be to quick to unload them.
A drunk works hard to get another drink. F&G needs another hit of cash before the shakes set in. DTs blow, ya know. Don't be the other woman waiting for the husband to leave his wife. Spoiler: He never leaves and you spend holidays alone without a meaningful chance for a tag no matter how soon you start or how long you stay. Wait until WY transitions to the 50/50 approach they want for E/D/P. You know is coming to MSG sooner or later. The shakes will start up because no matter the money, you always need more when your goal is a bigger empire rather than more opportunity for hunters no matter how thick a wallet is in the back pocket.

Rich man's game that saw point costs go up much faster than inflation and now tag costs going up faster than inflation. I guess is okay to only have the rich dream. Those poor folks probably won't even spring for a full body mount. Losers.

A drunk works hard to get another drink. F&G needs another hit of cash before the shakes set in. DTs blow, ya know. Don't be the other woman waiting for the husband to leave his wife. Spoiler: He never leaves and you spend holidays alone without a meaningful chance for a tag no matter how soon you start or how long you stay. Wait until WY transitions to the 50/50 approach they want for E/D/P. You know is coming to MSG sooner or later. The shakes will start up because no matter the money, you always need more when your goal is a bigger empire rather than more opportunity for hunters no matter how thick a wallet is in the back pocket.

Rich man's game that saw point costs go up much faster than inflation and now tag costs going up faster than inflation. I guess is okay to only have the rich dream. Those poor folks probably won't even spring for a full body mount. Losers.
Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were growing up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back