Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lesson for a student

Iron Buck

I heard this on the radio today . I liked it so much I had to post it! This guy actually makes sense.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004
NEAL BOORTZ, THE ANTIDOTE FOR GOVERNMENT EDUCATION

I received the following email from a young lad named Barrett, a student at Simpson Middle School near Atlanta:

Mr. Boortz: I am a seventh grade student at Simpson Middle School. We are entering a contest for C-SPAN about our country's greatest concern. We have chosen unemployment. I am wondering what your opinion is regarding unemployment and its impact on our future in this country. Also, do you think people are victims of unemployment or do you think people cause their own unemployment. I will not alter your words if you reply. Thank you. Barrett Ahlers.

Well, my friends, I think it's fairly obvious what has happened here. A union government teacher who probably can't wait to get to the polls on November 2nd and vote for John sKerry maneuvered the class into this adoption of unemployment as our number one concern. This, my friends, is why we need a separation of government and education.

Well ... here is my response to young Barrett Ahlers:

Barrett: Thank you so much for writing me and asking for my input on this question. My guess is that your teacher more or less manipulated the class into adopting unemployment as our country's greatest concern. Believe me, it's not. The unemployment rate right now is about 5.6%. When Bill Clinton was president the media portrayed this unemployment rate as "low." Now that there's a Republican in the White House you hear a different tune. Look around you, Barrett. Most of the adults you know have jobs. Every day the streets of Marietta are clogged with people heading to work. If you read your parent's newspaper you'll see page after page of advertisements ... businesses looking for people who will work. Not counting those people who just can't work because of physical or mental problems, the only people out there right now without jobs are people who have just made up their mind that they either don't want to work, or they aren't going to take any job that they consider to be beneath them. There is dignity in every job, Barrett, and nobody ever has to be ashamed at putting in an honest day's work ... even if they're cooking hamburgers. The problem is that your government will pay these people to sit on their cans for weeks on end .. and sit on their cans they will, until there is no other choice but to find some work.

Here's something for you to think about. You've heard of baby boomers, haven't you? Your grandparents may be baby boomers. These are people who were born in the years immediately following World War II. Well, these baby boomers will be ready to retire in about three years. When they retire their jobs just don't go away. The companies who own these jobs will need new workers to fill them. Now ... here is something you need to share with your teacher and your classmates: When these baby boomers start leaving these jobs there will only be enough qualified workers to fill one-half of them. Millions of jobs have been created in the last four years, and millions more will be vacated by retiring boomers. Does it really look like unemployment is our country's biggest concern?

Yes ... I think that people cause their own unemployment. One of the most valuable lessons you could learn right now is that your future happiness will be wholly dependent on the sum effect of the decisions that you have made and the decisions you will make in your life. Every choice, no matter how trivial it may seem at the moment, is important and should be made wisely. There are many people in our country who have made pitiful decisions .. decisions related to education and the development of job skills .. who now can't find the type of job they think they deserve.

Now .. you didn't ask .. but I'm going to tell you what I think America's greatest concern is right now. In fact, I'll give you my top two picks.

First is terrorism. America is in the middle of World War IV. World War III was the Cold War, and it was won with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Now the world is fighting Islamic terrorism. Fundamental Islamic Jihadists are determined to destroy Western secular society ... a society they see as evil. They will kill innocent people to accomplish their goals. They killed 200 innocent people in Spain last week, and toppled the Spanish government. They have made it clear that they intend to attack America again .. and to kill as many of us as possible. What if they manage to smuggle a chemical, biological or, God forbid, nuclear weapon into our country, Barrett? Can you imagine watching the TV with your parents one evening and seeing reports of 40,000 people dead in one of our major American cities from a terrorist attack using these horrible weapons? A low 5.6% unemployment rate would seem pretty insignificant then, wouldn't it?

My second concern? I think America is in trouble, Barrett, because Americans have lost their love of freedom. Americans no longer want to be truly free. They want government to be their provider as well as their protector. They don't want to take the responsibility for their own employment, their own retirement and their own health care. They don't want to be responsible for the education of their own children ... preferring, instead, to hand their children over to the government to be educated. They don't even want to be responsible for what they watch on TV or listen to on the radio.

Well .. that's probably more than you expected from me. Sorry if I got carried away. Keep asking questons, Barrett ... and remember to use your power of choice wisely. It will pay great dividends.

Neal.

[ 03-17-2004, 13:04: Message edited by: Iron Buck ]

Damn Neal!! :D You certainly got hold of more than one leg of that octopus.
hump.gif
Well done!!
elkgrin.gif

I wish I could claim credit for it.........but it was written by a syndicated radio host. I heard him read it on the air today. It was so good I had to share it! :D

Thanks for sharing it with us Bill! I jotted down a West Virginia radio station that carries his program and will be tuning in! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back