Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leopoldo CDS

I'm not gonna say they are the best in a true dedicated LR scope. But, for the average hunter that hangs out here, pretty damn good. And recent Leupolds have proven to be better. I have a pre CDS VX-2 that I had converted. (I have other Loopy CDS scopes too.) I use the MOA dials across the board. This scope has lived on a .300 Ultra for 18 years. Pounded, twisted drug through the crap all over Montana. Hasn't missed a beat. Lucky? Maybe, who knows. I'll buy more. mtmuley

Every Leupold I have ever owned lost zero. In all fairness I never owned their higher end models. The cds was good out to 300. After that Moa is much better. The cds was to far off after that.

They just use the data you give them to mark the appropriate MOA. Shouldn’t be any different than any other custom dial.

I suppose if you change between ammo that could be a disadvantage- but you can swap the MOA dial back on.

I have 2 vx2’s, a vx3, and a vx3i CDS. All of them are reliable and having owned Vortex in comparable magnifications and price range, I feel like the leupold is consistently a better value. Especially in low light conditions. Non of mine have lost zero and the CDS model tracks consistently and reliably. However, I am not a diehard Leupold fanboy. I have a other brands of optics that I use and like, Swarovski, Zeiss among them. For the price point and performance the leupolds are worth it and I recommend them.

BC is variable based on velocity.

By definition a coefficient is a constant.

Variables of the BC are cross sectional area, mass, drag coefficient, length and density. Velocity does not change the BC.

Bullet manufacturers have been providing G1 and G7 ballistic coefficients for bullets for reloaders- with no velocity factored in.

Not trying to hijack the thread...

By definition a coefficient is a constant.

Variables of the BC are cross sectional area, mass, drag coefficient, length and density. Velocity does not change the BC.

Bullet manufacturers have been providing G1 and G7 ballistic coefficients for bullets for reloaders- with no velocity factored in.

Not trying to hijack the thread...

.....this should help you.

And is true for all bullets....this is just an example.

Attachments

• 9A539C64-B87A-4832-A099-E2C55506E508.png
    9A539C64-B87A-4832-A099-E2C55506E508.png
    421 KB · Views: 18
Interesting. I wonder if the G7 is different. That is the only manufacturer that I have seen provide that.

Hornady provides some of the data if you call. Others I don’t know. And yes it changes for the g7 as well

So where does this data become relevant?

As your bullet slows down the BC changes! That’s important.

More than likely for a rifle hunter it won’t mater inside 500 yards.

700 yards is where all the crazy stuff starts coming out.

Thanks. Found this too...

Definitely interesting and new to me.

Thanks. Found this too...

Definitely interesting and new to me.

😁 there are tons of factors that come into play as you extend the distance.

So when someone says their CDS is only good to 300 yards......... this is why I say you must confirm the drops before you send data in.

For a hunting rifle that’s dialed very little they are good. For a scope that’s going to be dialed a lot there are better options

4.5 x 14 x 40. Shot tonight at 300 range dead on zero'd at 200. Shooting my 270. 150 gr nosler partition. 8 " plate good at 500 yds.

As far as the CDS goes, Leupold is not known for excellent tracking, and I’m not particularly fond of dialing in the field or having exposed turrets(although I’m gonna have an exposed turret this fall). That said, they’re most likely perfectly fine for 99% of hunting applications, if not 100%. Also, if the alternative is not European, I would recommend Leupold for hunting. Their color rendering is more like the European glass, which is much better for hunting. Some of the high end Asian scopes are known for better tracking, high resolution and brightness, but generally their color rendering and contrast does not make animals standout the way the European and Leupold scopes do. Top end Asian scopes are also mostly bulky “tactical” scopes. Weaver has a few nice hunting scopes in their Grand Slam line, but I haven’t actually used one.

Back