Leopoldo CDS

Anybody have experience with the leupold custom dial system. Does it work? Is it accurate? Is it good for hunting? Appreciate all responses

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I own a VX-3i, VX-R, VX-6 and have a VX-5 in the mail.

They are great. The CDS works.

I had what I thought was a scope issue... replaced my rings and turns out it works great. Leupold CS is great.

It does take some time to get the custom dials.

The low light performance and clarity is great. Much better than Vortex’s that I have compared to. Leupold is more comparable to Zeiss in quality, but Vortex in customer service. And lighter than something like Nightforce for hunting.

And they are made in the US. (However, I think some of their entry level stuff is now made overseas... correct me if I am wrong)

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I own a VX-3i, VX-R, VX-6 and have a VX-5 in the mail.

They are great. The CDS works.

I had what I thought was a scope issue... replaced my rings and turns out it works great. Leupold CS is great.

It does take some time to get the custom dials.

The low light performance and clarity is great. Much better than Vortex’s that I have compared to. Leupold is more comparable to Zeiss in quality, but Vortex in customer service. And lighter than something like Nightforce for hunting.

And they are made in the US. (However, I think some of their entry level stuff is now made overseas... correct me if I am wrong)
Ok thanks alot

There have been some pretty good threads about all of the failures of Leupold systems-on other forums. Everybody here seems to be Leupy fans. If you do not mind re-zeroing your scope often, then they are probably OK. A lot of them do not return to zero well, nor do they track accurately. Your money, but mine will not go to Leupold.

There have been some pretty good threads about all of the failures of Leupold systems-on other forums. Everybody here seems to be Leupy fans. If you do not mind re-zeroing your scope often, then they are probably OK. A lot of them do not return to zero well, nor do they track accurately. Your money, but mine will not go to Leupold.
With the custom dial system equipped you just loosen the Allen screws and turn the dial to zero right?

It’s kinda hard not to be a Leupy fan here. Post a link to another brand and you get in trouble lol 😂.

On those other forums you will find a post of mine- about how my $1500 VX6 won’t group for anything and how I had sent it back to Leupold. My rant about a product failure... They sent it back telling me it was fine. Well turns out it was the rings. And it cost me a really nice bull... so you can imagine my frustration.

Long story short- you read enough posts you will end up paralyzed... nightforce, zeiss, vortex, etc. because you will find people who got a lemon or broke it or had an issue with the rings that they blamed on the scope manufacturer. And who knows if what you are reading is true in some of the complaints.

Just be cautious and take it all with a grain of salt. There are lots of keyboard warriors.

I’m a happy leupold customer. I strongly prefer to buy American made products as well.

There are other good optics out there... I already named a few. But for hunting I like Leupold.

I recommend searching for product comparisons then deciding what you want.

Very happy with mine. No problems and always dead on. VX3i good to 500 yds and on target.

Never had a problem with Leopold holding zero or tracking well. Never had a problem with any of the other two brands I've used either for that matter.

Yes works great. i did change my dials out to a different brand but the scope are all I use. my guns get tossed around bounced on quads and been on many many airplanes. I have NEVER had a Leopold lose zero. I quite re-sighting in after travel case i got tired of wasting ammo. For me, I will never use a different brand. Then on top of that is the customer service.

FYi I changed dials cause i have trouble with the print on the Leupold CDS. Not bright enough for me. Plus the new dials zero back past zero two clicks to make sure there is no bounce. mine are from Kenton

I’ve switched all of my optics to Leupold. They track great and I haven’t had a issue with the scope itself.

However I have only ordered one of the dials. I think it’s a neat gimmick but not all that useful. Too many different variables through the year and from eastern flatland life to western mountains. I just downloaded the Strelock Pro app on my phone and dial accordingly.

Also give @schmalts a PM and he has great prices on Leupold.

I run almost all leupold optics. I have e had every brand over the years but leupold seems to offer what I want the best.

Plus they are designed and made in the USA....hard to be pro USA workers and buy foreign stuff...

I generally run their higher level stuff vx5 and above. The handgun optics are all of the vx2 or 3 line tho. Almost all of my leupolds run the cds turrets.

Their optics track correctly.

Best of all you can buy an optic and have it customized by them as far as reticle, turrets, and so on.

I attach all my data to the optic with a zip tie. I use the low profile cds dials on most scopes. But this allows me to change data for elevation changes.
Sorry but this optic is a sightron. If I’m not buying leupold they are normally next on my list. 21574EAD-FC6A-4BF3-B55B-79DFCF69C2F6.jpeg

Every Leupold I have ever owned lost zero. In all fairness I never owned their higher end models. The cds was good out to 300. After that Moa is much better. The cds was to far off after that.

For cds, computer generated drop data, or dialing your scope to work you must confirm your drops.

Yup you can send in the bullet BC, velocity, and elevation and a cds, computer drop data, or dials will be in the ballpark....but will be farther off with distance.

The only way for cds or dialing drop to work out perfectly is to actually confirm your drops by SHOOTING at the distances in ideal conditions and proofing the data.

There is no way around that.

BC is variable based on velocity.

Rate of twist is another variable on BC.

Head and tail wind change bullet impact as well.

And of course your ammo velocity and the consistency of that velocity are critical.

There is no Easy way out of you want to shoot at distance.

But yes. If you send in good solid data that has been actually confirmed by shooting your cds will be spot on....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back