MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Left Hand Rifle Build

MT_Chad

Hey guys, so in the next couple years I'm going to be getting another rifle so I can hand my trusty 243 down to my daughter. I'm thinking of building a custom rifle and here are the components I've come up with, trying not to go too crazy.
-Remington stainless action, trued by smith.
-Mcgowen remage barrel
-Bell and carlson alaska 2, I think, from stockys.
-Standard bottom metal
-Timney trigger

The way I have it figured I can build this rifle for around 1,500 or less depending on sales. I will likely go with another 6mm for the versatility, either 243 or a 6 creed. I have looked around at all the semi custom rifles in this price range and haven't found much I like or they don't offer the round I want.
I have kicked around just getting another tikka or a savage, but aftermarket stocks and such for anything but remington are nonexistent, unless I want to spend 650 bucks on a stock, even then it's pretty limited. This will be my deer and smaller gun fyi.
If anybody has experience with building a rifle like this or these components let me know what you think. I guess really all opinions are welcome, thanks guys.

Are you left eye dominant and left handed? I'm cross eye dominant and to my only knowledge boyds is the only company that makes a stock to accommodate that... but it's laminate and therefore heavy.

Curious to see how your project turns out.

Pick up this one. Hard to build one better in that price range. I love mine in a lefty.

I considered a weatherby and have had a mark v before, but they dont make the 240 in anything left handed anymore. I would like to stay 6mm for the variety of varmint and big game bullets.

Sounds like a plan!
Just gonna be awkward reaching over the scope to the wrong side of the rifle to work the bolt... :D

J/K!!

That sounds like a good rifle. I think that I would choose the Creed, as it takes long bullets a bit better, but that is splitting hairs. I also agree that you need to make sure the barrel is at least 1:8, if not 7.5. It will allow for loading real long bullets.

That sounds like a good rifle. I think that I would choose the Creed, as it takes long bullets a bit better, but that is splitting hairs. I also agree that you need to make sure the barrel is at least 1:8, if not 7.5. It will allow for loading real long bullets.
Since it would be a full custom barrel I'll do an 8 twist in either rounds. I need to get some of the barnes 95 lrx bullets and seat them in my 243 and see if it will work. That would be great since I already load that. If it doesn't fit very well, I'll get the creed.

..then why 'likely' the creed?
The 6 creed is an option if seating depths and mag length dont work for the 243. I can also get off the shelf remage barrels with the correct twist without having to go full custom on the barrel. The creed is just my backup.
Potentially I may be able to buy an off the shelf rifle set up correctly in 6 creed. The christiansen arms mesa is probably the closest to what I want, but no 6 creed yet. Also nobody builds a 243 with an 8 twist so no luck there.

Last year i found a left handed Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for a good price. All I've done to it so far is drop it into a Bell and Carlson stock mounted a VX3. Its shooting 1/2 MOA so I probably wont do anything else to it for a while.

What model/style is that, couldn't find it on there website.

Last year i found a left handed Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for a good price. All I've done to it so far is drop it into a Bell and Carlson stock mounted a VX3. Its shooting 1/2 MOA so I probably wont do anything else to it for a while.
I've seen some good deals on those too, but I much prefer stainless. Stainless bare actions are pretty easy to get right now too. If those actions dry up I will probably get an sps to start with.

Thanks. I was thinking you were referring to a "cross-over" stock where you shoot right handed but the stock is shape to facilitate getting left eye down/over to the scope, not a left handed stock taking a right handed action.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back