Leaving next Wednesday...

EastTNHunter

Heading to Meeker, CO for my first elk hunt. I will reply soon with news of my failures, but I hope that my dad gets one and that we enjoy the Rocky Mountain experience. I’ve never even been to Colorado, and nowhere near that far west, so I’m looking forward to the trip, although it will be a long drive from east TN.

I’m not even close to being in shape, so I hope that our getting there an extra day early helps us with the acclimatization before I start sucking wind climbing mountains. My dad and I will both be taking altitude medication and drinking lots of water before and during our trip

Dude....give yourself some credit for even being willing to try coming out. If you have a shitty attitude before you come out you'll have a shitty experience. Be happy you're coming out and make the best of it. Good luck!

If there was ever a recipe for disaster! X2 what John says!

ElkNut/Paul

Odds are you won't punch your tag. I'll be out for 1st rifle too and odds are I won't punch my tag. I know I'll be sucking wind and at times it gonna suck. I'll freeze my ass off on long nights in the backcountry. I'll also wander the woods with some guys I don't get to see very often. I'll take a nap in the warmth of the midday sun. Hopefully, we'll put some elk meat in the freezer, but if we don't I won't see that as a failure. You should soak up every second of that experience especially with your dad along. Good luck with your adventure!

I am jealous...at least you are going and if nothing else will get to enjoy some beautiful country and weather. Fall is an incredible time in the mountains. It appears we will not be having a fall season here in the south...good luck!!

Be sure to plan an antelope hunt for next season. High success rate and easily done DIY. Good luck and enjoy the mountains.

Sorry for the sarcasm guys, apparently the extreme self deprecating humor was not picked up on.

I am in much worse physical condition than I wanted to be in, but life happens and I want to make the most of my opportunity. I truly have high hopes for my dads success, and I look forward my experience more than the opportunity for a kill.

Best of luck on your hunt. I hunted the Meeker area many times with my father and though we didn't take many elk, I wouldn't have missed a minute of it.

Please give us a detailed report when you return.

Our group did pretty well east of meeker every trip we made we would get 3 out of 6 or atleast a couple each time . Great elk area . Lots of hunters but most do not leAve the road

Congrats on making the trip. We will be going up on WED too but to Craig area. What "8andcounting" stated. Don't road hunt... many peeps do and you will see them glassing from inside trucks... - ColoradoHunter719

Just relax and enjoy it! I dislocated my left hip three weeks ago and leave next Monday for New Mexico. I've had to work my butt off for the previous 6 months, so little time for exercise, compound that with a bum hip and I could easily get down. Once you cross those Rockies, gaze in to those aspens and blue skies, the elk are just the icing on the cake. The hunt is the memories you make of it.

I hope you find the want to be successful and make some great memories regardless of whether or not you punch your tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back