Yeti GOBOX Collection

lead free ammo

I switched to Barnes last year. I wasn't impressed with the exit hole on my antelope, but they shoot well enough for me. I'll probably stick with them another few years before making a decision to switch back to lead or not.

thanks for all the info fellas. i've narrowed it down to the barnes vor tx and the hornady superformance. decided to get it for my 270. will choose the 130 grain.

I've used the Hornady Superformance 270 Win 130 gr GMX on 5 animals - 2 elk, 2 antelope and 1 mule deer. All were double lung hits - poor performance. Diameter sized entrance and exit holes with no blood trails. I couldn't find the entrance or exit hole on one elk and the mule deer until I skinned the animal. I had to track animals that should have been dead within 50 yards. I like my lungs scrambled - GMX does not do this.

I'd use something else.

belly-deep, Not doubting you, but I'm gonna research how BC is related to density further. As far as I understand now, BC is constant no matter the construction of the bullet. brymoore, 5 dead animals nad you think the bullet is not effective? mtmuley

belly-deep, Not doubting you, but I'm gonna research how BC is related to density further. As far as I understand now, BC is constant no matter the construction of the bullet. brymoore, 5 dead animals nad you think the bullet is not effective? mtmuley

I think you're viewing BC as being synonmous with "shape". You're correct in that the shape of a bullet is a constant, no matter the construction. Don't get me wrong, BC is heavily influenced by the shape of a bullet. And since all copper bullets have to be longer to have a weight equal to a similar lead bullet, their shape or aerodynamic profile is better.

But, BC is actually an indicator of how well a bullet overcomes drag and wind deflection. All it is is a number that tells us how much a bullet is going to drop or deflect at a certain range. It does not tell us anything about the actual shape of the bullet, only that bullet A is better at overcoming drag/deflection than bullet B. Both drag and wind deflection depend a lot on surface area...see where I'm going here? As surface area increases, so does drag and wind deflection. All copper bullets have more surface area because they have to be longer to weight the same as a lead bullet.

There is no formula for BC per se based on a bullet's shape. You can determine a bullet's BC by chronographing it at the muzzle, 100 yards, 200 yards, etc and seeing how fast the bullet is slowing down. Or you can measure the drop. Or the wind deflection. Then you work backwards to find out the BC. This is what manufacturers do to determine BCs as well, because as I said, there is no formula based solely on shape.

Think of a more dramatic example: You have two ping pong balls. One is a regular, hollow plastic ball. The other is made out of lead. Both would have the same "shape" but their flight characteristics would be very different. The plastic one would slow down fast and get blown around by the wind. The lead one would fly further and be more stable.

Last edited:
Md, I don't think theres enough bone in an antelope to get a barnes to expand even if you shot it lengthwise.

I'd shoot the barnes LRX and not look back.

+1...

I am just finishing up a load with the 145gr LRX in 7mm. So far, at least at the range it is deadly accurate. Hopefully this fall I will get a chance to see how they perform on Mulies. I am also loading the 168gr LRX in 7mm as well but have just begun the process. If the 168's are anything like the 145's I will be a real happy camper.

+1...

I am just finishing up a load with the 145gr LRX in 7mm. So far, at least at the range it is deadly accurate. Hopefully this fall I will get a chance to see how they perform on Mulies. I am also loading the 168gr LRX in 7mm as well but have just begun the process. If the 168's are anything like the 145's I will be a real happy camper.

What do they do that a regular TSX or TTSX doesn't? I've only tried TSXs and TTSXs and those LRXs are dang expensive!

+1...

My 7 STW factory barrel won't shoot them worth a darn. I have both weights and just gave up till I rebarrel this fall. 180 Bergers is it till then.

The LRX is a better BC version of the redesigned TTSX, which had the inner pocket slightly modified for easier expansion over the TSX and the polymer tip added.

After reading the links provided, I'm still not convinced that lead shot contributes any negative affects. Scientific studies that are conducted to establish and prove their point, are just a dubious as polls. I've read other studies that have claimed proof that lead isn't a contributing factor in the deaths of raptors and other birds. I've also read reports and studies that have shown that wind driven turbines kill more avian species than many other sources. As is the case with global warming, there are cyclical events that occur naturally and just because one group of activists claim something is detrimental doesn't preclude the fact that there can be alternative causal reasons.

Luckily, the only alternative to lead shot that we must use in SC, is what has been Federally mandated for waterfowl..........something else the Feds have gotten involved in to increase hunting costs as a backdoor approach to end hunting!!!!!!!!!! Just my opinion, no poll of scientific study to document my opinion!!!!!!!!!!:)

Etip works great out of my 300 win mag. picked up a couple boxes last year for a CA deer and hog hunt. I shoot the 180 gr. Seemed to tighten up my groups at 200-300 significantly compared to the federal premiums (noslers).

The black-tails are tinny compared to the mule deer we hunt in UT so not much mass for the 300 mag. Nonetheless, they worked just fine on the deer. Shot two hogs. One 165 lbs other 233 lbs. Both one shot kills. dropped them in their tracks about 150 yrs or so. Both with broken shoulders.

I recently switched to non-lead. I haven't had opportunity to try other brands yet, but I am impressed with the Barnes TTSX. Last season I killed a muley buck and a cow elk with the factory VOR-TX150-grain cartridges. Before the season, I also shot my lifetime best 100-yard range target with them. I hope to start reloading my own this season. Maybe I'll try a few other brands as well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back