Caribou Gear Tarp

Layering Suggestions

Hatchie Dawg

What are some layering suggestions for the 3rd rifle season in CO? Will be hunting elk. I know Sitka is popular here but very expensive, and was wondering what other brands are proven and liked. I will be hunting a mountain unit and hoofing it a lot.

I feel good about my upper body with a dri fit layer, Under Armour cold gear, good wool sweater, Russell Gale, a Marmot 800 fill down packable puff and Gore Tex over if needed.

I'm not so sure about the lower extremities though. Most of my stuff is made for sitting on a deer stand. I have some very good Gore Tex pants but they are heavily insulated. I may carry them with me but I'm not sure they are the best choice in the active periods. Any lower extremity suggestions would be especially appreciated. I would really like a combo pant that is light, waterproof/breathable, and tough enough to be the primary external layer. I even considered some of the Gore Tex or Dry Plus nylon faced bird hunting pants. I'm 6'3" and slim. Fitting can be an issue

I would appreciate the help.

HD

I guess I would say depends on how mobile you will be. UA cold gear and Ascent pants if your going to be really mobile and maybe there packable Kelvin pants whenever you stop to glass. UA cold gear and Sitka 90% pants, if your going to be on the move but glassing more so.

Thats my advice anyways, but of course its so variable on many things. Maybe theres a foot of snow or maybe its freakisly warm too.

Sounds like Im about the same build as you are and I picked up a pair of Sitka bibs last year in L-Tall from camofire for about $110 and they have been great in cold, wind, and deep snow regardless of activity level. I know you were asking for options other than Sitka but if you can find at the right price, why not.

Leaning towards the Cabelas microtex. I have learned a lot the past couple of days though and believe I understand one of the reasons Sitka is so popular in that it is a climbing pant with the multi directional stretch, similar to the Mammut Champs, etc. Comparing my faced, insulated, 5mm neoprene waders to my breathables is a gross description that I'm familiar with. It is a lot easier to walk in the light waders.

But, I've read enough good about the Microtex to give it a try, unless I can come on a good deal on the Sitka 90s. Then I might spring for them. I've never been elk hunting and I've outfitted almost from scratch. Spent a lot of money, for me, already. The flip side is of course I will have good equipment for years to come.

Appreciate the help and have enjoyed all the learning.

Thanks,

HD

I just bought the Russell hunting clothes APX2.I got the L-4 pants and jacket for 1/2 price.I would look into those pants with some base layers for your hunt;very comparable to the Sitka stuff IMO.If you can find some 90% pants cheap, I'd go for them
I think Gander Mountain has the russell clothes on sale now.I got mine from the web pearson outdoors if I remember correct.They were super fast shipping,and it was free;$85 for the pants/$85 for the jacket compared to $185 suggested retail on both

waterproof/breathable

I'd skip this spec. Even with some of the best W/B membranes (there are good ones out there, but Gore-tex and Dry-Plus aren't on that list), you give up a lot to have it 'waterproof', and in that area waterproof just isn't critical. Most decent stretch wovens would do you well (no need to limit yourself to 'hunting' brands like Sitka, there are tons of options in mountaineering brands at lots of price points), as would Micro-tex. In fact, I'd choose the Micro-tex for that application over ANY waterproof pant, even if they were the same price, and they aren't even close.

Appreciate the help. I actually did pick up the Russell Gale L4 and like it. The pants seemed heavy. As stated still leaning towards the micro tex pants even though they apparently don't stretch and either my insulated gore tex pants as needed for the inactive times or maybe a packable gore tex. My personal experience with gore tex has been great, but then I have not compared it directly to the newer garments that yes do get wet but don't "hold" water therefore drying very quickly. I'll probably watch camofire for a while and hope for some of the "stretchy pants" as Nacho Libre would say.

Thanks again

Last edited:
A 3rd season hunt in CO...Isn't a costal brown bear/goat hunt. It might snow/rain one or two days. You're probalby not going to be out in it either.

I like microtex pants, but I don't love the fit.

I agree with Carl... forget the waterproof stuff as primary. Take a light set of rain gear in case it snows or rains that you can put on over the top... also you can use it for a wind layer, odds are you're not going to get too wet. I would get a nice pair of gaitors over any other peice of clothing.

I'm not a fan of UA. It makes me colder for some reason. Not sure why, but I freeze to death in the Cold Gear. I picked up some base layers made by Champion, they work very well and are about 1/3 the price of UA.

99% of my hunts I wear REI or Mountain Hardware hiking pants. They're light weight nylon that dry instantly, are pretty wind resistant and are very tough. Not to mention they are comfortable to hike in for days at a time.

I'm don't mind wool, but its impossible to dry out once it gets wet. I've pretty much retired my wool to ice fishing trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back