Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Latest Thoughts on Tents?

I have gotten 4 years or so out of an inexpensive Alps Mountaineering Zypher-3 tent. Used it in some truly STUPID conditions and it just wont die or leak. My only complaint is that the wife's Big Agnes 2 man is 1.5 pounds lighter. Of course it costs $200 more if we compare MSRP.
If I was backpacking solo I'd go get the Zypher-2 off of ebay or amazon and be use the crap out of it while I saved pennies for a Hillenburg. I see them as low as $88 on flash sales occasionally.
Brian

Also a +1 for the REI Half Dome. Had one for 5 or 6 years and it was a trooper in everything except for super heavy snow. A little care with campsite selection can mitigate that flaw occasionally.

I have a Zephyr 2 and really like it. My only complaint is the weight of it. I think I was able to get it for around $90 or so on steap & cheap. It's a great tent, I can't imagine trying to sleep two people and gear with it but none the less a really solid tent.

I ended up picking up a Kuiu Summit Refuge 3p for this season. Planning on only bringing 1 tent instead of both of us in separate tents. Using Tyvek for a ground sheet, etc. The big benefits to having this tent or something similar for me were 1. Weight, 2. Ability to run a stove, 3. Packability and 4. Quick tear down/pack up.

I used a Kelty Trail Ridge 2 last year in Colorado and it worked fine. Might have been cozy for 2 people however it has 2 doors and a vestibule on each side so you could leave gear outside. Kelty also has great customer service after a bear ripped my fly and bent a tent pole. They fixed the tent pole for free but the fly was toast. Just bought a replacement fly for $40.

I’m of the philosophy cry/buy once.

I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and an Akto. My Akto gets the most use, but if I had a 2 GT that would likely replace my Akto.

If you are “hesitant to spend a bunch of money before I [i.e. you] have actually gone hunting out west” one option is to rent a quality tent (which I bet you could do for less than $100 for your trip) and cry/buy after you’ve given hunting out west a go.

I’m of the philosophy cry/buy once.

I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and an Akto. My Akto gets the most use, but if I had a 2 GT that would likely replace my Akto.

If you are “hesitant to spend a bunch of money before I [i.e. you] have actually gone hunting out west” one option is to rent a quality tent (which I bet you could do for less than $100 for your trip) and cry/buy after you’ve given hunting out west a go.
I had the Akto, a great tent, but I found it too cramped, so I got the Nallo2, it is worth the little extra weight and I get a better nights sleep in it.
Cheers
Richard

You can find some good vintage tents on ebay at a great price. I've been buying and selling and using tents since 1976 when I bought my first tent, a North Face Oval Intention. I used it for 25 years and would still be using it if my dog didn't tear it up. IMO the older tents were made to last. New tents today get gummy and fall apart after the first time they are exposed to the sun or a hot car. I have weeded through the countless tents that have passed through my hands and for my 2 person 4 season tent I use a North Face AeroHead. Built to withstand high winds. Used it on Adak ( Birthplace of the Winds) and on POW.

No love for MSR's? The Hubba Hubba NX2 looks like it'd be a solid choice at 3.5#. You can find them on eBay for $200-$300.

No love for MSR's? The Hubba Hubba NX2 looks like it'd be a solid choice at 3.5#. You can find them on eBay for $200-$300.

I have a Hubba Hubba and love it, definitely one of the most versatile tents as you can run fly, poles, and the new fast and light bathtub ground cloth. That being said new it's way more than $200 and it's not a 4 season tent.

There is an MSR Fury in good shape for $250 right now on MountainProject. That's about as close as you're probably going to get for a true 4-season tent. I had it's predecessor, the Moss Stardome II for a number of years. It was my first legit tent; heavy and bombproof. Glass Eye maybe you've had or seen Moss's in the past. I sold it to a guy in Asia on ebay for like $500 something, I guess they were a big over there for some reason.

There are dozens of current production, and probably hundreds of older tents that will work, but aren't "four season". Until you use a few and know what you prefer it's kind of a shot in the dark. But for $200 I'd probably be looking used personally.

Ive been using the marmot limelight 3p the last few years. Very happy with it. Comfortable with 2 people without having to stack up. Vestibules have lots of room for gear.

Although not an ‘any weather’ tent, I have had great luck with this tent. It is very waterproof in downpours/summer thunderstorms.
I’ve also slept with it in the trees in November when it’s cold.

I got it on backcountry for $121. Steal.

Another vote for the Marmot Aura 2P... a little tight with your hunting buddy, but just right with your wife, or solo with gear stowed inside. I don't think you'll find a better tent under $200. I got mine off Sierra Trading Post.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back