Late season archery elk

chimo

Am going on a two week backcountry elk hunt in Montana in October. Most of my archery elk experience has been during early to mid September. Any suggestions on how I should adjust my strategy

I think early October, into the second week, is criminally underrated when it comes to Elk hunting. I have been in epic bugle battles and seen plenty of good rut action during this time. I'm not saying it's better than September, and it's not usually when I burn my vacation days, but it certainly isn't the 'lull' some people make it out to be.

I assume you incorporate calling into your hunting if you are used to September. I would still use that strategy if I were you. Most of the bulls will have cows, but IME still respond to bugles in October. If you are willing to shoot raghorns/younger satellite bulls, they might still be looking for their own cows, and will respond to cow calls.

Why the heck would you name yourself Chimo? You’re either retarded or a pos. That’s short for CHILD MOLESTER

Am going on a two week backcountry elk hunt in Montana in October. Most of my archery elk experience has been during early to mid September. Any suggestions on how I should adjust my strategy

@chimo, are you in Montana or are you coming from out-of-state? What do you mean by "Backcountry"? My version of backcountry may not correlate with what you are asking and it will make a big difference in my response to you. Backpacking? Horses? Other?? With a bit more info, I might be able to help a bit.

Calling can still be good before the first rifles crack. But i would prob utilize spot and stalk and slip in when you can. You will find some bigger bulls in oct. with a lil snow/from my experience. Rut can be pretty intense still also.. lotta variables there.

@chimo, are you in Montana or are you coming from out-of-state? What do you mean by "Backcountry"? My version of backcountry may not correlate with what you are asking and it will make a big difference in my response to you. Backpacking? Horses? Other?? With a bit more info, I might be able to help a bit.
I am a western Montana resident with 17 years elk hunting experience, 13 bowhunting pretty much bored with rifles unless I need a late season cow. I am primarily a weekend warrior except for the occasional 4 day Mid September excursion. My son guides during the peak of the rut so he spends his days chasing elk in grizzly country when he has the opportunity. I will be hunting with my son and out of state brother this year. Base camp is 5 miles from the trailhead we hunt a range of 7 miles from camp. We are hoping for horses but I am not counting on it.

Welcome to HT. With 17 years hunting here you should be able to help me find a good spot around Seeley, so far I've struck out lol. All kidding aside if your going to hunt that far back man horses should be a must.
Dan

@chimo,

In my experience, early October is probably the second best time to go after the mature herd bulls. Now days, most western backcountry elk densities are low. Rutting herds are made up of 8 to 20 cows, wrangled by a herd bull with a couple of satellites shadowing the group. Since most of the actual breeding occurs at this time in October, the scent in the air pushes the rutting activity into high gear. The herd bull has had a couple of weeks fended off his rivals and working his ladies and is starting to get worn down just as his ladies are ready to play. With the breeding scent in the air, the satellite bulls will throw caution to the wind and will constantly be rushing into the herd. This forcing the herd bull to kick it into overdrive. This is the rutting activity that others have stated above. This is also when most of the braking of antlers occurs as the herd bull has given up on any of the prior niceties he had shown previously while trying to preserve his energy.

Mostly this rutting/breeding/fighting action takes place during the evening and continues throughout the night. The bugling action will continue as day breaks with the cows headed to their bedding area but this will die off quickly as every elk is tired from all of the night’s fun. I’ve seen herd bulls seem to collapse in exhaustion right after the lead cow decides to bed.

Now, for your usual early to mid-September hunts, you probably use a combination of calls. But for early October, during the rut-fest, just use your bugle! You may chirp in a wandering satellite bull but the herd bull just isn’t going to leave his gals at this time. Use your bugle to keep track of the herd bull’s movement. He will usually answer your bugles as he thinks of you as an unknown new comer and wants to keep track of you more than anything. The bull will want you to keep your distance and will not let his cows settle down if he thinks that an unknown rival has come to town and has given chase. You can get into a hell of a bugle fest with the bull in the morning but if you push him, he will just keep pushing his cows to keep them away from you.

So, try to creep in and follow the progression of the herd which will probably be heading up to a bench or the top of a sub-ridge. Having multiple hunters is a plus as you can have one caller stay back to call and keep the herd bull vocal. All hunting precautions are at play and the wind will always NOT be your friend at this time of day. I would recommend trying to stay above the elk if possible. Once the bull stops bugling, try to figure out his last location. Your caller can bugle a few more times but if the bull shuts up the caller should stop also. This will allow the bull to relax as I stated above. If you have roughly figured out where the herd has holed up, stay back until the wind has decided what it wants to do. Sneak around to the downwind side of the suspected herd location and then KICK BACK AND TAKE A NAP! You do this to give the bull time to get a little rest. Wait until around 2:00pm and then start your sneak into the herd’s location. Usually there will be a cow or two up and even if you can’t see them due to the timber and brush, they are really noisy critters. Once the elk are located, get as close as humanly possible. I mean close! The closer the better! Always keep your possible shooting lanes as top priority when sneaking in close. Now, with arrow nocked and shooting lanes ranged or whatever, turn your bugle tube away from the herd’s location and rip out the biggest nastiest bugle that you can muster. Remember to stay calm and pick a spot because that herd bull will be on you in a flash looking to kick some ass!

If all things go as planned, this will provide you with an extremely close shot opportunity 90% of the time! There are the occasions that the bull will blow right past your location or stop where a shot is not possible.

*NOTE* The above works in the timber of western Montana where the elk densities are low. The thicker the timber/brush, the better this works as you need to get close without spooking the herd. Open timber and greater elk numbers make this more difficult to pull off and the success rate will be less.

Also, as mentioned above, this rut-fest can come to an end rather quickly. I’ve seen herd bulls completely leave his herd by the 10th.

Not sure what backcountry area that you have scoped out that will allow you to hunt up to seven miles from your base camp without at least spiking? But, I hope that you have a great hunt!

Good luck and be safe…..Mtnhunter1

Welcome to HT. With 17 years hunting here you should be able to help me find a good spot around Seeley, so far I've struck out lol. All kidding aside if your going to hunt that far back man horses should be a must.
Dan

@Dan O,,,,,,,,,,Keep looking! There are plenty of GOOD spots within an hours drive of Seeley......and a few much, much closer!

@chimo,

In my experience, early October is probably the second best time to go after the mature herd bulls. Now days, most western backcountry elk densities are low. Rutting herds are made up of 8 to 20 cows, wrangled by a herd bull with a couple of satellites shadowing the group. Since most of the actual breeding occurs at this time in October, the scent in the air pushes the rutting activity into high gear. The herd bull has had a couple of weeks fended off his rivals and working his ladies and is starting to get worn down just as his ladies are ready to play. With the breeding scent in the air, the satellite bulls will throw caution to the wind and will constantly be rushing into the herd. This forcing the herd bull to kick it into overdrive. This is the rutting activity that others have stated above. This is also when most of the braking of antlers occurs as the herd bull has given up on any of the prior niceties he had shown previously while trying to preserve his energy.

Mostly this rutting/breeding/fighting action takes place during the evening and continues throughout the night. The bugling action will continue as day breaks with the cows headed to their bedding area but this will die off quickly as every elk is tired from all of the night’s fun. I’ve seen herd bulls seem to collapse in exhaustion right after the lead cow decides to bed.

Now, for your usual early to mid-September hunts, you probably use a combination of calls. But for early October, during the rut-fest, just use your bugle! You may chirp in a wandering satellite bull but the herd bull just isn’t going to leave his gals at this time. Use your bugle to keep track of the herd bull’s movement. He will usually answer your bugles as he thinks of you as an unknown new comer and wants to keep track of you more than anything. The bull will want you to keep your distance and will not let his cows settle down if he thinks that an unknown rival has come to town and has given chase. You can get into a hell of a bugle fest with the bull in the morning but if you push him, he will just keep pushing his cows to keep them away from you.

So, try to creep in and follow the progression of the herd which will probably be heading up to a bench or the top of a sub-ridge. Having multiple hunters is a plus as you can have one caller stay back to call and keep the herd bull vocal. All hunting precautions are at play and the wind will always NOT be your friend at this time of day. I would recommend trying to stay above the elk if possible. Once the bull stops bugling, try to figure out his last location. Your caller can bugle a few more times but if the bull shuts up the caller should stop also. This will allow the bull to relax as I stated above. If you have roughly figured out where the herd has holed up, stay back until the wind has decided what it wants to do. Sneak around to the downwind side of the suspected herd location and then KICK BACK AND TAKE A NAP! You do this to give the bull time to get a little rest. Wait until around 2:00pm and then start your sneak into the herd’s location. Usually there will be a cow or two up and even if you can’t see them due to the timber and brush, they are really noisy critters. Once the elk are located, get as close as humanly possible. I mean close! The closer the better! Always keep your possible shooting lanes as top priority when sneaking in close. Now, with arrow nocked and shooting lanes ranged or whatever, turn your bugle tube away from the herd’s location and rip out the biggest nastiest bugle that you can muster. Remember to stay calm and pick a spot because that herd bull will be on you in a flash looking to kick some ass!

If all things go as planned, this will provide you with an extremely close shot opportunity 90% of the time! There are the occasions that the bull will blow right past your location or stop where a shot is not possible.

*NOTE* The above works in the timber of western Montana where the elk densities are low. The thicker the timber/brush, the better this works as you need to get close without spooking the herd. Open timber and greater elk numbers make this more difficult to pull off and the success rate will be less.

Also, as mentioned above, this rut-fest can come to an end rather quickly. I’ve seen herd bulls completely leave his herd by the 10th.

Not sure what backcountry area that you have scoped out that will allow you to hunt up to seven miles from your base camp without at least spiking? But, I hope that you have a great hunt!

Good luck and be safe…..Mtnhunter1
Thanks for the insight, I am always looking to incorporate new strategies. Hopefully I can send pics in the future of our success. After too many years following me around the forests of Montana I am proud to say that my oldest son is now leading me around during hunting season whenever we get a chance to get out together. Success rates on bulls have more than quadrupled. I had to talk him into a base camp that's only 5 miles in so I can make it out alive if we have to extract multiple animals. The 7 miles from camp would surely be a pack and go adventure or reason to spike out if we need to locate some critters. The 12 miles in is the furthest point that my son has tagged a bull in that particular area. I will try to post a pic of his last trip out with his harvest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back