Late season access to hunt area

zadvorney

Residing in the Buffalo NY area,I'm no stranger to snow. I do have a question about snow of the higher elevation kind. I'm looking at blowing my Co. elk points during the rifle season. I know snow comes early and ebbs and flows until October and then stays. Do locals use snowmobiles on the atv trails or does everything shut down/ I really don't want to camp out on the mountain until spring with my rig and gear so would chains work? Who would have a good idea about the logging in the area? If the logging trucks are still moving then the seasonal roads are open I assume. I guess I'm looking who to contact for answers; the local DOW in town. Any help is appreciated

Logging is a long lost employ in the west......I'd suggest you get very, very specific with those that know where you'll be hunting. Tho I'm knot aware of the logging operations in your specific unit, I know generally what you can and cannot depend on in the west. Logging is not one of them, Ma Nature is far more predictable.
WD

Nothing crazy as far as spots go. Just unit 62. I noticed they were taking out big swaths of aspen before they all die off.(a wicked die off is happening all over the Unc.) If that was the case then access would be more open to the area and thus more pressure. I use the NOAA website often for weather and am looking into past history on specific locations. This is a concept that could be used anywhere in the states. Local averages of rain,snow,sun.

I wouldn't sweat it. Take tire chains, and a shovel. Its been my experience that rarely do the roads get that bad in CO during hunting season that you'll get snowed in. There are a few guys that live in that part of CO on this board. From what I know of that part of the state, it doesn't get a whole lot of snow until later in the year, but I've been wrong before. Watch the weather, and if it starts to really unleash, pack up and head to lower ground.

Good luck on your hunt.

Back